Elizabeth I (Part 1) Reviews

• Feb 22, 2018

Some parts of this were very poorly done. They insisted on trying to show the violence on screen, when it would have been significantly more effective to cut away. I was alive in 2006, and there is no excuse for the kind of beheading that reminds one of Monty Python. Story-wise, the use of the "handsome rich jerk" and "noble-but-ugly" character types wasn't just cliche, but obscenely inaccurate (considering the "noble" one was Robert Cecil). They actively attributed some of Cecil's bad deeds to Essex to accomplish this. The portrayal of King James was also silly (especially considering he didn't need to be portrayed at all), and the portrayal of the Earl of Southampton was actively offensive. Worst of all, though, the show just failed to be interesting. Yes, Mirren did a fine job acting, and the scenery was beautiful, but that does not a good series make. No one was written with real depth, and the story's focus on Elizabeth's loneliness descended into whining more often than it raised real questions. In fact, fundamentally, I don't think I really liked Mirren's interpretation of the queen. The real Elizabeth actually did have a harshness and edge which Mirren lacked, and that harshness is part of what makes her an interesting person to watch on screen. Mirren's Elizabeth was noble and sad, flirty and serious, but not ... exciting. I didn't necessarily expect this series to be great, but I expected it to be better than it was.

• Nov 26, 2017

A great miniseries about the the public and private lives of the later years of Queen Elizabeth I until her death! Helen Mirren portrays an older queen adding a touch of comedy and grace to the story. It actually won 9 Emmys and 3 Golden Globes!

• Apr 28, 2017

Mirren was born to play "Elizabeth I," and, of course, the performance is powerful enough to shatter your television screen, not to mention any notion you might have had that if you've seen one Elizabeth -- Bette Davis, Glenda Jackson or Cate Blanchett, for example -- you've seen them all.

• Dec 31, 2014

Almost comparable with ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE(2007). A humorous QE portrayed by the marvelous Helen Mirren, together with the equal exquisite Jeremy Irons.

• Dec 26, 2012

The first installment of a two part mini series with great performances from Jeremy Iron and Helen Mirren. Mirren playsElizabeth as a powerful and much admired Queen, though she admits that the most difficult thing is 'to govern your heart'.