Elizabethtown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Elizabethtown Reviews

June 12, 2018
Drew Baylor (Orlando Bloom, sporting the American accent) is a promising shoe designer until he quickly learns how failure feels when a bad sneaker design becomes the humiliation of the footwear industry. As a result of losing his job and the company nearly a billion dollars, Drew goes home where he?s fashioned a ?suicide machine? out of an exercise bike and a knife. Before he can off himself in medieval fashion, he is interrupted by his cell phone ringing (ring tone: ?I Can?t Get Next to You? by the Temptations). It?s his sister telling him that his father has died while on a trip to his home town of Elizabethtown, Kentucky.
Drew?s mother (Susan Sarandon) immediately elects him to go deal with the arrangements because he is the ?responsible" and "successful" one. Well, Drew?s life has ended and there is no need for the suicide machine anymore. He takes a redeye flight ASAP. While being the only passenger on the plane, Drew meets a perky, young flight attendant named Claire (played by the beautiful Kirsten Dunst). She tells him all about herself even if he doesn?t want to know. After the flight has ended, Claire supplies Drew with a hand-drawn map to Elizabethtown. Upon arrival, he meets wacky relatives who seemed to have known his father better than he did. Drew also stumbles into a romance with weird but charming Claire, whose wisdom, lust for life, and good taste in music may help Drew come to terms with his new place in the world, and possibly a better one.
?Elizabethtown? is classic Cameron Crowe. All of the sensational and offbeat characters are there, and there?s always a great soundtrack. The film features great tracks from Tom Petty, Elton John, and Ryan Adams. The film is about finding yourself in one of the last places you would ever look. It?s a very memorable romantic road trip movie. At the end, Drew hits the road with his father's ashes and a mix tape from Claire that lets Crowe show how rock & roll can remind us of what makes life worth living. This part of the movie should go down in cinematic history. It?s well-filmed and heartfelt.
Crowe has made a blend of his previous films ?Say Anything? and ?Almost Famous? and come out with a great cocktail of a movie. It?s well-acted, filmed and well-edited, and it captures an aspect of the country not everyone has seen. It is definitely worth seeing not only once, but twice. Crowe is a splendid film maker and it is proven in ?Elizabethtown.?
May 15, 2018
The dazzling soundtrack, and Dunst's charming performance makes for a nostalgically poignant film. This film is harshly criticized, and though it is at times slow, there are more than enough sweet and quotable moments to make up for it.
March 25, 2018
I don't know what's the worst about this movie, Dunst's terrible tone deaf acting or the painful dialogue.
½ February 8, 2018
That hand-made map was iconic.
January 1, 2018
I feel that this movie had a bad wrap. It is one of the best films I have ever seen. There are nuances that are completely missed in every review I have ever read. Anyone who was raised without knowing their extended family can completely relate to this movie.
November 17, 2017
A decent romantic drama/comedy. Not completely predictable, but still mostly formulaic rom-com ketch. The leads worked well together,and Dunst was amazingly precious as the unconventional "substitute" person in Bloom's life. Worth a watch for rom-com fans.
November 14, 2017
The soundtrack did not suck.
October 24, 2017
I didn't think I would like this movie as much as I did. Kirsten Dunst is the type of woman I would love to meet. Her carefree personality is such a fresh idea. The soundtrack is also first rate. The plot is simple and the down home performances of the family in Kentucky is so true to life. We have those people in our family. You gotta love them.
October 9, 2017
Watching this in 2017 is way overdue but a lonely Saturday night needs a decent romantic comedy. Elizabethtown is a typical 2000s romcom but Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst?s chemistry makes it so much more enjoyable. There?s something to laugh about every now and then and the cute ending definitely makes it worth the watch.
½ July 15, 2017
It's an actually a rather interesting movie.
November 29, 2016
A disappointing movie.
November 11, 2016
This movie is amazing. It cheers me up any time I'm blue. RUCKUS
September 5, 2016
Great movie. Rock bottom is the beginning of this story, but the main character's spirit lifts through a reunion with estranged family.The female lead is perhaps not realistic, more of a metaphor. She is a foil of a character that brings hope and laughter to a defeated soul.
½ August 13, 2016
This movie is a turd. No, wait, this movie gives turds a bad name. It has zero direction and seems to be trying to mooch off of the plot of Jerry McGuire. I'm ashamed for mankind when I read comments about how this movie is "relatable" and "down to earth" and "realistic". Answer me this, HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES HAS AN AIR PLANE EVER BEEN EMPTY AND WHEN HAS A FLIGHT ATTENDANT EVER SAID MORE THAN 5 WORDS TO ANY SINGLE PASSANGER!!!! WHY THE FUCK WOULD A SHOE COMPANY BE FUNDING A WILDLIFE REFUGE COMPANY?!?!?!?!? MAKES ZERO SENSE!!!!!! Fuck this movie. I can't fathom how 66% of people like this shit...
½ July 28, 2016
One of those movies you can relate to if you're from Kentucky and have that "we're your roots" family. The music is superb, and Susan Sarandon's scene towards the end is not to be missed. Forever one of my favorites.
½ July 11, 2016
I loved this movie. It was sad, funny and very real. The ending was perfect.
June 5, 2016
One of our favorites. Usually watch it several times a year.
½ May 15, 2016
I was told to read the screenplay to this film by an industry professional who claimed the script was far better than the movie. I wasn't expecting much, but she was right. The script was pretty good. I certainly don't think it was "one of the most brilliant contemporary screenplays", as she put it, but it was really good. Unfortunately, "Elizabethtown" is more of a how to squander a good script in every way instructional guide than it is an entertaining piece of cinema. A decent (if not convoluted) plot and likable characters are ruined by poor direction, bad editing and annoying performances as well as a soundtrack that doesn't seem to jive with the film's boring imagery. The casting was very, very bad, but it was the editing that really killed the movie. Granted, the screenplay was a little long, so heavy editing was needed. It was the editing choices that were the problem. It was off-kilter and weird. It's just unfortunate seeing as how the full, unedited screenplay is actually pretty good.
February 16, 2016
1/9/16
This is a movie that has been on my to watch list for longer than I can remember. It sat and patiently waited in my Netflix list until it had its moment to shine. Elizabethtown was more than I ever could have imagined. I regret not taking the time to see it sooner.
It takes a lot for me to completely fall in love with a movie. I am a picky filmmaker who jumps at the chance to criticize and change. And I can honestly say there isn't a single thing wrong with this movie. I realized long before it was even over that this would squeeze its way into the short list of my favorite movies of all time. With every second it got better and better.
I can't even put my finger on why I loved it so much. It reminded me of when I was a teenager without a care in the world. It reminded me of my love of adventure. It reminded me of why I love spontaneity and people who light up a whole room without even trying. It reminded me to live.
One of these days when you are feeling down or out of sorts or even just tired of the everyday routine, put on Elizabethtown. Don't you dare pick up your phone or get distracted. Just watch, really watch. Feel and experience this movie for all it has to offer. There isn't a single boring moment. It's something special.
January 7, 2016
I understand why this film gets a lot of hate; it is definitely not one of Cameron Crowe's best films, in fact, it's probably the most sentimental film of his. Some of the dialogue sounds odd and Kirsten Dunst's character sometimes really gets on my nerve (not because she is annoying, but because it's an unrealistic character). However, it is not without charm. I actually like Orlando Bloom in this film, and there are some really good laughs throughout. Elizabethtown is full of flaws and problems, but it's still watchable and often entertaining.