$ellebrity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

$ellebrity Reviews

November 2, 2014
A mediocre documentary it failed to grab my attention it only documented how papprazzis are such jerks there was no depth in this a mediocre movie not awful but not a good documentary I'm being generous here
Grade C
½ October 6, 2014
$ellebrity is a documentary about paparazzi culture and its origins. The movie was produced and directed Kevin Mazur who is himself a celebrity photographer.

Overall the movie is a fantastic effort that is slightly marred by some uneven moments. In one scene Mr. Mazur goes to an awkward length to show and tell us that he is not like the horrible stalking photographers that we've grown to hate. In other parts of the film the history of the paparazzi is woven into the story line in a slightly disjointed fashion which tends to be mildly distracting.

However, beyond the minor quibbles, the movie succeeds magnificently. Intelligent perspectives are offered by Sarah Jessica Parker, Jennifer Aniston, Jennifer Lopez, Marc Anthony, Sheryl Crow and Kid Rock who is wonderfully compelling with his commentary.
June 13, 2014
Really such an amazing documentary that touches on the culture around celebrities. Interviews with some of the A List celebs, such as Jennifer Anniston and Jennifer Lopez makes this a really great movie!
April 5, 2014
This was a good documentary - sad truth of what this world has become. Side note: Jennifer Lopez ruins everything. She ruins every film she's in and now even this documentary! Watching her and Marc Anthony over talk one another was annoying!
January 18, 2014
Informative piece of documentary filmmaking, sure. It makes you see how many of us are simply barbarians in upholstered caves.

"Photography makes us feel that the world is more available than it is." Susan Sontag
January 5, 2014
I really enjoyed this documentary I happened to catch on Showtime. Most people already know Paparazzi are one of the lowest media life forms, but this documentary made me think we need legislation to address this issue. Yes, actors should expect to be photographed - it's part of the life, however there should be boundaries, especially where children are concerned. Right now there seem to be no boundaries whatsoever. One segment I found particularly creepy was watching different celebrities attempting to go about their daily business while their children are crying and begging the photographers to stop. Of course, the photographers don't stop (apparently they have no souls.) Since I don't read magazines like People or Us, I was surprised (at first) to see how many of the photos and "stories" they run are completely fabricated. For some reason I thought People and Us were a cut above say the National Enquirer, but now I see they're all the same - it's just a question of degrees. There is an enlightening segment on how these magazines take video footage and pull different still photos out of context to make a story where there is no story. Overall I thought it was an enlightening and fascinating look at an industry we are all exposed to while standing in the checkout line.
September 1, 2013
Movie implies we should feel sorry for them not being able to walk freely down the street. Like someone is forcing them to be in the profession they have choosen.
July 23, 2013
Celebrities vs Paparazzi: no one is listening to the other, and the consumers are to be blamed.
June 15, 2013
Great documentary. Interesting, disturbing and somewhat sad.
January 25, 2013
I liked $ellebrity as it's a very interesting look at a huge element of our society and pop culture. An area that I found most interesting is the discussion on freedom of the press vs. the right to privacy. Hotly debated topic in an open democratic society.
January 20, 2013
interesting look at our society and its obsession with celebrity culture. kinda sad/scary.
January 18, 2013
Excellent documentary.
January 12, 2013
Definitely worth watching. I am definitely going to reevaluate the types of websites I visit for my "news".
January 11, 2013
Celebrity (sell-eb-ri-ty) - "We build them and we tear them down." - gossip mags
January 11, 2013
Rating 5 out 5 - A must watch for anyone who reads trashy magazines or interested in celebrity culture.

A VERY balanced look into the world celebrity and interview both celebrities like Sarah Jessica Parker, Kid Rock & Jennifer Lopez on their opinions and the actual paparazzi view... a must watch for everyone!