Elling - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Elling Reviews

½ April 23, 2017
A heartwarming story about two outcasts with typical features of scandinavian black humor. The actors deliver outstanding performances of these mentally challenged protagonists. It is not a "light" comedy to watch but the movie will leave you with a warm feeling in your belly. So why not all 5 stars? The camerawork is a little bit shaky sometimes and the movie, unfortunately, already looks pretty old.
January 30, 2014
Norwegian. An interesting look into the Norwegian care system. Curious characters. Humorous.
½ August 21, 2013
Sat on this forever and nearly sent it back to netflix without watching. Then I saw it was a 2001 Oscar nominee for Best Foreign Film - the best category there is. I say that because the category seemed to peak right when I got into movies from about 2004-2007. Pretty sure I saw Amelie, one of the other noms in the category, but it might have been a weaker year. Still, pretty decent flick, especially look at the cover.

The story starts when a man's mother dies. He's forced out of the closet, literally. No, he's not gay. Just very neurotic. He ends up in a home and meets another partially disabled man. Despite some awkwardness and some struggles, the two become the best of friends and eventually are able to make it out in the world on their own.

I don't think there's anything particularly moving about the film, as many a film about disabled might do, but it's comical and just a nice movie. I can't judge the actors to see just how well they acted because I've not seen their other work. All that said, a fun, feel-good movie.
August 17, 2013
basically the norwegian midnight cowboy
April 28, 2013
Refreshing to see, two people who are in their late 30s or early 40s from what it seems find each other. They both are obviously different but have the same issues to deal with, they both get used to each others companies and help each other through out the way. The movie has its funny moments, and heart warming scenes as well. Quite nice to see that its never too late to get out and experience the world even if at first you're scared. Sometimes the universe decides to quick you out into the open, of course its a scary change for some but it brings a good change&lessons, like this two characters.
April 12, 2013
A cute and charming comedy about the odd ones. It is simple and witty. It manages to bring out some laughs with its extremely original characters.
½ March 31, 2013
A gentle and heart-rending comedy and drama. I loved the character development of Elling and his friend. This film had so much humanity, and eccentricity!
December 7, 2012
Looks interesting will try to find and watch!
December 2, 2012
The movie starts by introducing us to a pair of retards and then digs in their characters to discover their human emotions and intellect...
September 6, 2012
An OK odd-couple comedy, not a bad movie per se, but not crazy funny or original. Perhaps something was "lost in translation", and I didn't get the social commentary if that's what I thought it was.
September 3, 2012
One of the best movies I've seen. A true Norwegian odyssey.
½ June 3, 2012
Sweet little film about the transition from institution to outside world.
April 21, 2012
two strange bedfellows but they are darn sweet together. very feel-good film; no one is evil and nothing bad happens. charming and likable, this one.
½ April 9, 2012
Oh how I laughed!! Great humour! Kjell Bjarne is my favourite!
½ December 5, 2011
Very reminiscent in tone of the American Indie "Lars and the Real Girl", "Elling" likewise doesn't play the lunacy of its main character for laughs or even for drama so much but rather goes for uplift." The agoraphobic title character as played by Per Christian Ellefsen comes off very much like American actor Tony Randall playing Felix Unger if Felix was afraid to leave the Manhattan apartment he desperately tried to keep neat. Kjell Bjarne (Sven Nordin) is Elling's state-mandated flat-mate although it is never clear as to why he winds up institutionalized. Most of the movie follows the pair's slowly unfolding adaptation to life in the outside world - although Elling only makes limited and therefore seemingly realistic process. Watching this socialization unfold does provide some of the emotional uplift the film aims for; however, the climax which involves a 9-month pregnant upstairs neighbor clearly puts the "foreign" in foreign film and one wonders if it played as other than genuinely creepy in its native Norway. Eventually, Robin Williams will be cast as the lead in the American adaptation (as he was in the equally Norwegian "Insomnia"), John Goodman will play the sidekick and the studio will hire nine writers to punch up the script with more jokes and rewrite the ending. In short, wait for that version.
October 27, 2011
Jeg elsker denne filmen! fantastisk!
July 2, 2011
Loved this...worth the subtitles.
½ June 21, 2011
Warm-hearted buddy movie if I remember it correctly.
June 12, 2011
Just a dam good film. Really enjoyed it!
½ May 22, 2011
A really lovely, heartwarming film. The rapport between the two protagonists is a joy to watch.