Elling - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Elling Reviews

½ February 20, 2011
A refreshing and entertaining film from Norway.
January 29, 2011
I went to see the stage production based on this Norwegian film in London in 2007 and due to my enjoyment, I bought the film.

Per Christian Ellefsen stars as Elling, a man recently released from a state institution. He is shy, neurotic, obsessively neat and tidy, agoraphobic and is unable to operate in the real world as his mother handled all of his decision making processes for the first 40 years of his life.

As part of his release into the community, he is required to share a state funded apartment with fellow released patient, Kjell Bjarne, portrayed by Sven Nordin. Kjell Bjarne is the total opposite loud mouthed and foul mouthed, scruffy and sex obsessed. If he isn't thinking about sex, he's talking to Elling about sex and if he isn't talking to Elling about sex, he is running up phone sex bills of 4000 Krone.

The conditions of their release are seemingly simple, they must prove to their social worker that they can operate as normal members of society or they lose the apartment, but when going to the grocery store to shop is a major challenge how can they meet their release conditions?

Through two chance meetings, Elling with poet and author Alfons Jorgensen (Per Christensen) and Kjell Bjarn's meeting and subsequent romance with pregnant neighbour Reidun Nordsletten (Marit Pia Jacobsen), the pair look to unconventional methods to cope with the society that is unleashed on their existence.

As this is a foreign language film, you are reliant on the subtitles. However, you can see from Ellefsen's and Nordin's performances that this is your basic "odd couple" storyline.

Ellefsen's portrayal is that of small compact spring - a bundle of nervous energy which looks to take up as little screen film as possible. Elling's voice is that for the majority of the film as you hear his opinions of his relationship with Kjell Bjarne and of life in general.

As befitting a man with a large personality, the portrayal of Kjell Bjarne is a big bear of a character, when he's loud he's very loud. When he swears or talks about sex it's for all the world to hear.

This is a darkly comic script which deals with life problems. However, the script never mocks the issue of mental health and you laugh with Elling and Kjell Bjarn and not mockingly at them.

Whilst this is a film that won't change your life and delivers quiet chuckles rather than belly laughs, please seek this out in your home entertainment store to rent. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Theta Sigma
January 22, 2011

January 13, 2011
Elling (Per Christian Ellefsen), um homem de 40 anos com problemas mentais, passou os últimos dois anos em um hospital psiquiátrico, onde foi internado após a morte da mãe. Um programa de socialização faz com que ele vá viver num apartamento em Oslo com outro doente mental da mesma idade, Kjell Bjarne (Sven Nordin). No início até as atividades mais corriqueiras, como ir à esquina ou atender ao telefone, se tornam grandes desafios. Mas aos poucos a dupla vai se adaptando à nova realidade, perseguindo seus objetivos: enquanto Elling se descobre um poeta, Kjell Bjarne procura uma mulher para perder a virgindade.
November 19, 2010
Gentle with its characters but strong in its representation of their stress in dealing with returning to independent living. Gives the minimum of back story to the characters and how they came to be institutionalised but convincingly shows their perception of the world in this challenging change to their living arrangements. Elling and Kjell Bjarne are treated sensitively and affectionately, made me cry and laugh anyway. We should all recognise and embrace our inner Elling.
Lett med sine karakterer, men sterk i sin representasjon av stress i arbeidet med å vende tilbake til et uavhengig liv. Gir minst tilbake historien til karakterene og hvordan de kom til å bli institusjonalisert, men overbevisende måte viser deres oppfatning av verden i denne utfordrende endringen til deres boformer. Elling og Kjell Bjarne blir behandlet varsomt og kjærlig, fikk meg til å gråte og le uansett. Vi bør alle erkjenne og omfavne vårt indre Elling.
November 10, 2010
One of my fave films of all time - v funny and poignant....one of the few films that I watch over and over when needing a smile put on the face! :-)
October 23, 2010
really a charming movie.
October 14, 2010
I am really amazed at how much I liked this movie. At first I had my doubts, but then I just found myself unable to turn it off. These two guys were a hoot! I like how it all turned out. Very nice.
½ September 2, 2010
moving and very optimistic in a non-irritating manner
August 15, 2010
It's safe to say this is one of the best comedies I've ever seen.
July 28, 2010
Definitely an up-lifting movie. And particularly heart warming! Also very entertaining and not to mention, hilarious. Sometimes ridiculous but overall a decent and riveting film.
July 14, 2010
Kinda weird and bizarre movie that is nonetheless compelling. Fun.
½ July 6, 2010
A sweet, heartwarming story with lovable characters.
June 11, 2010
Fun Oscar nominated film from Norway about two odd characters who were roommates in a mental institution, and are now both released and remain roommates, trying to adjust to normal life. Funny concept, the two lead actors are great together, and the supporting cast is fun as well. I love the scene with Elling trying to use the phone. It starts a little slow but it's picks up and turns out to be a very funny and entertaining film.
April 10, 2010
Se débi & lóidi fosse um ótimo filme, seria elling!
March 11, 2010
Heartwarming ... and funny. :)
March 11, 2010
I don't know how this film could be any better.
½ February 2, 2010
Watching this movie leaves me with that lovely warm-hearted feeling. Recommended.
January 25, 2010
Charmingly humanistic. Simple, yet, utterly notable variation of 'the odd couple.'
½ January 1, 2010
"Some people just pretend
but you really are crazy"
Said Jorgen Langhelle.

There's something so natural, powerful, interesting, and deep about not being common :)