13 Minutes (Elser) Reviews

• Aug 25, 2018

Great acting for a story worth knowing. Elser is a true hero that understood early the extreme danger the Nazi was for Germany itself. Effectively, the germans had lost their minds to think they would not have eventually to pay for their murderous rampages. However, historically, if his murder had succeeded, germany could have done better during the war and maybe even won it, since a few bad decisions were later attributed to Hitler himself, like the attack on Russia instead of England.

• Aug 25, 2018

Lost its way at times, but an entertaining film, from a rarely explored historic event

• Aug 08, 2018

Has Oliver Hirschbiegel really made "Downfall?!"

Has Oliver Hirschbiegel really made "Downfall?!"

• May 05, 2018

I remember my German professor from college telling us about this man. Herr Kaufmann had been in Army Intelligence during WWII. I found his story to be one of the most fascinating. Only 13 minutes would have made all of the difference in the world! That they let him go unexcuted for such a long time amazes me. The performances were excellent, as was the direction and the feel of the period here. The parallels between the period this film depicts and our current time is frightening--the willful failure to understand reality is the same.

• Jan 14, 2018

Watched this film not knowing what I was going to see..This film is the 1st perspective I have evee seen from German film makers on Nazi Germany... this man was about to save MILLIONS of INNOCENT lives!!.. It documents his life after he was caught and the events in his life leading to the actual bombing. BRAVE MAN.. just missed his target by 13 minutes. 13 to rewrite history. POWERFUL

• Sep 11, 2017

13 Minutes, a Review IN A WORLD...OF WORN OUT SUPER HEROES, TIRED REMAKES AND SEQUELs, COMES A FILM SO SHOCKING MULTIPLEXES ALL OVER THE NATION WOULDN'T SHOW IT. FROM A COUNTRY THAT BROUGHT US THE NAZIS, RELIABLE CARS AND SCHADENFREUDE COMES a film about a socialist trying to kill Hitler in 1939 in Munich?! 13 Minutes is a film so audacious that it shows that socialists were not always the bad guys. The Nazis and Socialists, along with your standard capitalist parties, were fighting for control of the hearts, minds and power in Germany, we'll say since the end of World War I because that's the point in which 13 Minutes first mentions the conflict. Spoiler alert!: the Nazis were elected to power and systematically started to remove their opponents through work camps, torture, and their favorite, murder. Mild mannered carpenter and socialist sympathizer Georg Elser, played adroitly by Christian Friedel, sees the atrocities of the Nazis. Like many Germans, he decided to resists. In his case, he planned to blow up Hitler, a fantasy many of us had in our youth. We learn all of this right in the beginning, in the trailer actually. What unfolds is the Nazis attempt to understand how this "lowly carpenter" could have done this alone. Their technique for "understanding" include various forms of torture that would have made Spanish Inquisitors sit up and take notice. What also unfolds is the cause of Elser coming to such a radical decision and his many romances, including the love of his life. I assume that more of us would have found a way to flee Germany when the Nazis started killing people in our town. I would have chosen the "flight" route myself. Not good old, crafty Elser, who patriotically, as the film plays it, decided to take action. He planted a bomb that missed his target by...some amount of minutes. I don't want to spoil it for you. The acting is one of the best things about the film. From the bit parts, to the incredibly scary Nazis (IT has nothing on these Nazis), to the love interests, to the towns people, to the socialists, they were all well played. Moreover, the portrayal of the Hitler youth was more frightening than anything I saw in IT. The costuming and settings were impeccable and the filming framed the action in a simple yet interesting manner. It is German cinema, after all, from the director who brought us the gut-wrenching "Downfall." The music was not overwrought or cloying like Hans Zimmer's "Dunkirk" soundtrack. Overall, the production values show the best of modern cinema. The parts that don't work could have been fixed with one more pass through the script. There are scenes where the leads, Elser specifically, act out of character. A line or two, five minutes more of screen time, would have solved these issues. While we know the character of Elser, his actions don't match that character in two important ways. Most people won't notice, and I whole-heartedly recommend 13 Minutes. Rating: Pay Full Price. ?? Peace, Tex Shelters

• Sep 05, 2017

If this film doesn't get the foreign film Oscar something is wrong. A great movie about a great man no one has ever heard of. Our local theater calls it a documentary. No, it's a drama of the finest kind. 44% of viewers didn't like it. That's about the same level of support for Trump, and if you're a Trump supporter, you're not going to like this picture of you and your kind vilifying an authentic hero, a man who demonstrates the existential truth.

• Aug 23, 2017

I consider myself very lucky to have seen this film, and I encourage others to see it as well. Knowing conflict can't be found in the attempt itself, the film finds conflict through the eyes of its protagonist, Georg Elser. Christian Friedel gives an amazing performance as a man who sees what is wrong in this world (for him and/or those around him) and wants to do whatever it takes to make it right. Go see this movie and be inspired to do the right thing.

• Aug 20, 2017

I thought it was well done. The torture was hard to take. And the potrayal of police inspector Arthur Nebe as a decent human is apparently historically inaccurate. Otherwise I learned a lot about the life and motivations of a historically significant figure whose story deserves to be told, and is told well here.

• Aug 19, 2017

Great movie! The cinematography was beautiful and the storyline captivating! A must see!