Elvis & Anabelle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Elvis & Anabelle Reviews

June 8, 2016
Elvis, played by Max Minghella, is the son of a hunchbacked mortician, played by Joe Mantegna. They later meet a beauty pageant winner named Anabelle, played by Blake Lively. The film revolves around the growing romance between the two eponymous characters. I won't spoil the way they meet because it was a very interesting way in which it happens.

I had never heard of this film before I decided to watch it. The audience reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDb seemed to be overall positive, so I was hoping that this film would be an alright watch, or if not, then at least a not too painful experience.

The main cast is relatively small, but I felt that most of the actors and actresses were trying too hard to do their parts. Blake Lively was pretty serviceable, but I felt that she sort of overacted in the scenes where she needed to be emotional. Joe Mantegna did a fairly well job in his role as the hunchback father of Elvis, and I do think he can be bought as an ailing middle-aged man. However, at times he can be somewhat creepy in an unpleasant way. Perhaps the mother of Anabelle, played by Mary Steenburgen (who played Clara Clayton in the third "Back to the Future" movie) was the most annoying person in the movie. Her character was understandably that way, as she seemed to be unbearably strict with her daughter, but that seems like her only characteristic.

For me the best actor was Max Minghella, and I also think his character was the best one in the film. I don't think he overacted at all, I thought he was convincing in showing some arrogance (with his old coach), being attracted to Anabelle, and showing immense care for his father.

***Spoilers below***
The story was ok with some surprising and interesting moments. There were some plot elements that I think a lot of people would see coming, like the photograph of Elvis kissing Anabelle being discovered, and the last golf game where Elvis' father then collapses, and of course the journey that the two leads take in their relationship. Boy helps and saves girl; girl likes boy; parent of someone disapproves; girl finds something about boy she doesn't like; the two reconcile. For me, I can look past obvious elements if the film either executes the story well, or if there is an interesting twist to it. Some plot points I did not see coming, like seeing Anabelle die and then resurrect, or the flowers growing in time in the end, or the main couple going out on a brief stealing spree (which for a moment made them more unlikeable). I thought the ending with the two almost committing suicide was fairly tense. And with Minghella and Lively giving overall good performances, with a few hiccups, it made the scene difficult, but quite engaging, to watch.
***End of spoilers***

So overall, while this movie does not boast the best cast, it does have some interesting plot elements that can keep the viewer interested long enough to finish the film. I wouldn't say this film is a favorite of mine, but "Elvis & Anabelle" is a fairly decent movie I could watch again.
6.5/10
September 18, 2015
This was not a movie that ever jumped out at me in the shelf, but heard such good things I decided to check it out.
Glad I did. I really enjoyed this. Convincing characters and interesting little story about a reluctant beauty queen and a small town embalmers son.
December 19, 2014
Everybody is bashing Blake Lively. Well, you know what? I like her and this is a beautiful film. The actors give wonderful performances.
December 1, 2014
Blake Lively makes almost any movie better.
October 27, 2014
I want to download it
½ September 18, 2014
Beauty queen's world collides with mortician's son... Moving story of love conquering loss--It's a great unusual movie... Kind of a modern fairytale!!
July 7, 2014
I saw this one day on the Lifetime Network or as I like to call it the amnesia/beaten womens channel. I was surprised that this movie was so great! The characters are enjoyable and the plot is worth watching for an hour and 38 minutes.
½ June 2, 2013
dunno exactly what's good specifically bout this movie, it's lovely that's all :) and Ps: they sure can act :)
May 30, 2013
Great movie. Very touching, romantic, and tragic. A must see for those who love a romantic love story.
May 25, 2013
Loved it. Loved it. So sweet.
½ May 5, 2013
An offbeat and unusual romance. The relationship between Elvis and his father is incredibly touching and sweet. It's something you don't see too often on-screen and, really, it is probably the highlight of the whole film and definitely the most moving element therein.
½ January 17, 2013
quirky and enjoyable indie road movie.
½ January 8, 2013
Part Wuthering Heights and part Harold and Maude, this flick started as what one may think would be more of a horror/comedy but actually turned out to be a quite surprising heart felt exploration of one girl"s awakening, in more ways than one, into truly living life and one young man"s breaking free of a string of life long pain. The relationship builds bit by bit, is not easy and shows faults in each of them as people.Together, the wounded pair heal each other, and i think the two leads and their characterizations are truly wonderful and original...which is rare these days. A hidden gem of a film!
½ October 24, 2012
I LOVED this movie....which ended, to my surprise, with a field full of sunflowers, my favorite flower!!!! The movie is heartfelt and well-acted by all involved. Sonni.
October 2, 2012
A truly different love story! Loved the movie and the music! Have watched it over 10 times in a week
September 26, 2012
Blech. She is blatantly throwing her re-animated self at this emo loser while you, the viewer, squirm and groan. This is mediocre at best. Whiny and sad need not be mixed. But, Joe Mantegna is unrecognizable in an absolutely amazing performance that was the focus of my attention. If you have a tiresome chore to do, put this on in the background and prepare to be wowed.
iLeo
½ September 23, 2012
An interesting film that centralizes on a lonely young man and his father in rural Texas. Due to his father's accident, young Elvis takes on the tasks of being a mortician in the family business. One day, a young woman's body is brought in for funeral preparations. Her unexpected return-to-life inflicts a national discovery and alters her pursuits of beauty pageants that she leaves home in favor of staying with Elvis and his father. Their short-lived moments of peace is interrupted when Anabelle's mother initiates a search for her.
Great cast- awesome performances by Max Minghella, Blake Lively, and Joe Mantegna.
Definitely worthy!
September 10, 2012
Visually beautiful movie! great story! loved it
September 1, 2012
Another movie of quirky, depressive characters. The father was the best quirky character, bringing out the best in the main characters.