Emotional Arithmetic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Emotional Arithmetic Reviews

November 21, 2017
I found this to be an enjoyable intellectual movie. it is a movie that one retains in the mind and thinks about after they have left the theatre. it is not the sugar high that so much of the CGI-based movie industry is about now.
June 23, 2016
A very slow movie, but if you are willing to wait, you will not be disappointed. It's not filled with comedy or action, but the characters are very well-rounded and all of them give phenomenal performances. This movie does a beautiful job showing how people deal with trauma, loss, and pain, which is what the movie is about--feelings. If you don't like movies like that, then don't watch, but if you are into slower dramas, then this is certainly a pleasant surprise.
½ May 18, 2013
the actors are an ensemble of greatness.. the story however.. leaves us more to be desired
December 6, 2012
Definitely not what i was expecting after listening to the critics. I found this movie interesting and enjoyable.
½ October 20, 2012
a beautifully complex story. i wish that they would have dug deeper into jakob's story other than the few references.
June 2, 2012
I loved it thought it was very very moving
March 1, 2012
"Emotional Arithmetic" based on a novel by Matt Cohen begins with an astounding remark "If you ask me if I believe in God, I am forced to answer does God believe in us?" The film is not about atheism. It reflects on the terrible scars left by war on orphans, on individuals who stand up and protest when wrong is done, on relationships forged in times of stress, pain and loss.

The charm of Paolo Barzman's film rests considerably in the hands of the capable actors--Susan Sarandon, Max von Sydow, Chistopher Plummer and Gabriel Bryne--all who have a maturity to carry off their parts in the film with grace.

The location where this film was shot is beautiful, the film uses a recurring color scheme through out that really makes the audience not just see it but feel it as well. The same can be said for the style and camera work in the flashback scenes, scenes that are not over used and that could easily be the emotion of the film. Wisely, the director doesn't go that route and leaves the emotion in the here and now.

Congratulations on a moving, intellectual and poignant cinema
April 21, 2011

Congratulations on a moving, intellectual and poignant cinema
December 27, 2010
Could've been good, but feels like a pretentious student piece, one where they should've gone with the other writer. The best part is watching Max Van Sydow deciding not to show his contempt for the interviewer in the special features. Watch her dive for her cell phone as Max explains a particularly touching moment in the film. Then: "so where were we...?" And Susan Sarandon writing her off even before the first question. As for the movie, the script was really, really weak. That's the best I can say.
August 27, 2010
I felt like I was watching an hour-long black and white Heritage Minute and a movie broke out...In all seriousness, well intended, but I felt like we didn't learn enough about what happened to Susan Sarandon's character until it was too late - I had lost interest. She played a damaged person well, but somehow I couldn't believe Sarandon went through what she went through. I also didn't get the 1985 feel, either.
½ April 4, 2010
What a lovely place to live...
½ November 16, 2009
Demasiado dramática para mi gusto...
me encantó el manejo de los recuerdos....
½ September 13, 2009
this was an excellent movie about holocaust survivors who met in Drancy transit camp, in France. filmed in Quebec. loved it.
August 6, 2009
This movie has the most artistic and beautiful filmography I've ever seen. Each scene is so well done with camera angles, layering and different ideas, its amazing. The story is also amazing because it takes the truama that holocast survivors went through and what their lives are like now dealing with their past. Years later it still remains real daily in their lives. Its important to understand not only what happened but what survivors face right now, i never thought of it this way.
Its a valuable movie to watch both for the emotional impact and the beautiful canadian scenery included.
July 26, 2009
Watching it! Will rate later.
½ July 22, 2009
I didn't have high hopes for this movie but it turned out to be interesting to watch! In some places it is very long and dull, but Gabriel Byrne makes up for it! Without Gabriel Byrne I'm not to sure if this movie would have been even half as good as it was, he was sweet, charming, and a very torn man which makes you very emotional attatched.
½ July 14, 2009
Revivir el pasado, renovar emociones. Es mejor recordar u Olvidar?
A pesar de las buenas interpretaciones las historias no logran motivar. Al menos a mi.
½ June 8, 2009
Franchement, ce film m'a plutôt déçue je dois dire. J'étais curieuse de voir Roy Dupuis en tant que fils de Susan Sarandon et pourtant, son rôle: il ne fait rien...J'ai cependant apprécié les paysages magnifiques QUÉBÉCOIS des cantons de l'est. De plus, on s'attend à avoir une fin superbe mais rien ne se passe, décevant. Malgré une distribution de choix (Plummer, Sarandon, Max von Sydow et Gabriel Byrne), ce film n'a rien d'exceptionnel.
½ March 14, 2009
Susan Sarandon was very good in this film, re-connecting with two other concentration camp survivors later in life. She is clearly damaged, but trying to live a life that is together, for her family.
February 19, 2009
With great promises, this movie give itself too much without having the capacities to handle it. The result is beautiful, but fall rapidly in a big lack of bored lenghts.