The Emperor's Club - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Emperor's Club Reviews

June 9, 2016
La pelicula de tu vida!!! ????????????
June 6, 2016
For those "acclaimed" critics and the average Joes who feel this movie was dull and clich, I have news for you: academia is both, at times.

However, this film surprised me. It was not predictable in the least--characters took chances and did not follow the predicted recipe that most Hollywood offerings of this topic do. It was refreshing to see life reflected in the storyline. If you are a teacher, you will especially enjoy the portrayal of Hundert, as there will always be a Sedgewick Bell in your classroom at some point in your career.

The lesson is a good one, albeit late-coming for the otherwise seasoned character. There was no transformation here, just an affirmation that people most likely will aspire to their true nature and not everyone wants to "be saved." Anyone who was not moved by that point has a fantasy-perspective of education, and probably should learn more about the profession. For all his virtue, Hundert was also flawed, a point of which he is reminded at the very end. His integrity relatively still intact, he continues to practice what he preaches.

The story was perfectly executed, and the filmmakers should be commended for bringing a quality fictional story on academia to the public instead of the derived drivel Hollywood usually spits out at us.
½ March 16, 2016
I enjoyed this movie
½ June 18, 2015
Good performance from Kline but little else.
April 28, 2015
Good acting, good message, but forgettable.
October 11, 2014
It has moments of brilliant inspiration showing how teachers can greatly impact our lives. It falls short in plot and purpose.
September 10, 2014
I went in hoping for another Dead Poet's Society and didn't get it. Expectations can be almost everything I guess. While there are definitely some inspirational moments, I did question others. The "walk on the path" part had me thinking and I'm still not sure if I agree with Hundert or not. I definitely don't completely agree.
½ August 12, 2014
(First and only viewing - 8/16/2008)
August 4, 2014
A low-key variation of Goodbye Mr. Chips, but not as good.
July 27, 2014
it is not well-known, but one of the most important movies in my life..
½ February 15, 2014
I could have done without the first half hour of scrappy cliches and this teacher inflating his own ego, but once we got about an hour in the movie got a bit better, all in all not top bad but not one to rewatch
November 21, 2013
good but dead poet's society is better
½ June 14, 2013
I really liked this movie. Definitely among my list of coming of age movies for my kids when I have kids.
½ May 13, 2013
Poor Brutus: No chance to revolt against the authorities, better resort to hypocrisy! From my personal background I should have liked it, but this teacher's method is all sit down and memorize and so is the movie: a dull affair! If this is the way to teach ancient history, the senator is right: What's the use?
½ May 8, 2013
This film wasn't too bad, but it was like a worse Dead Poet's Society.
½ April 5, 2013
it always feels good to watch this kind of movies, the kinds of dead poets society, from time to time.
April 3, 2013
I guess this is a good movie but the whole time I was watching it I kept thinking it is just a rip off of Dead Poets Society.
March 18, 2013
A bit too predictable and sentimental, but it still has the feel-good vibe to it.
½ February 12, 2013
Cool movie, not amazing, but interesting to watch...
February 7, 2013
Inteligente (y profesionalmente actuada), pero muy sentimental y no muy imaginativa.