The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On Reviews

• Jul 13, 2010

This documentary isn't as entertaining as it is interesting. It is the story of a Japanese WWII veteran who investigates the murder/execution of 2 alleged Japanese deserters who were killed after the war ended. More interesting than the investigation are the people who are interviewed and their reactions. The people who are interviewed are haunted by there past, most of them are very reluctant to talk. When some of them finely do talk, it is chilling to see their emotion and to hear the gruesome things they have to say. I recommend this documentary because it shows emotions and reactions I have never sen before. Nothing is dramatized, it is a cold and honest. It is a testimony of the horrible things people have to live with and how they deal with it.

• Mar 15, 2010

Frighteningly real, it never ceases to amaze. I'll never forget it.

Frighteningly real, it never ceases to amaze. I'll never forget it.

• Feb 28, 2010

I wanna watch this again. so funny and intense movie

I wanna watch this again. so funny and intense movie

• Jan 07, 2010

It's easy to see why Errol Morris calls this one of his top five favorite films. There's so much here, both spoken and unspoken, that a film class could spend a whole term sorting it out. Absolutely riveting for those who like to draw their own conclusions, and probably boring as hell for those who merely wish to be entertained. I've never seen anything like this.

• Dec 14, 2009

Though there's a level of repetitiveness to the movie, the first forty-five minutes or so unfolds at a blistering pace. To call it an expose might not do its visceral content justice.

• Oct 06, 2009

powerful. a most dynamic documentary you will ever see. a great movie, very intense and revelatory.

• Sep 07, 2009

Overwhelming... Highly recommended.

Overwhelming... Highly recommended.

• Jun 27, 2009

Direct Cinema may be an understatement here. "Naked Army" is an alluring documentary that leaves us questioning what is wrong, what is right, and the lengths some may go to capture the truth.

• Jun 13, 2009

Kenzo Okuzaki's unhinged personality and determination to uncover war crimes makes for an absorbing and abrasive documentary experience.

• May 23, 2009

One of the best documentary films I've ever seen! I understand why Michael Moore praised this movie, because maybe it inspired him to make non fiction works. It's a hard testimony of Japanese atrocities in WWII, including those whose victims were the soldiers of the Imperial Army. Shocking! By the way, the film could also inspire to the Iraqi journalist who threw a shoe to George Bush... ;)