The Emperor's New Clothes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Emperor's New Clothes Reviews

June 29, 2012
Good fun, well acted
April 2, 2012
A slight reimagining of history, with a superb performance by Ian Holm as both Napoleon living our his days in relative anonymity and his impersonator.
March 12, 2012
A Napoleonic version of Viva Max!
January 29, 2012
One of the best films about Napoleon, since it shows him at his best and worst. Ian Holm, who played him twice before, really shines here.
½ August 10, 2011
Ian Holm's central performance(s) dominate this charming little gem, which suggests that it was Napoleon's double who died in St Helena, whilst Napoleon managed to get back to Paris.
½ March 7, 2011
This one definitely slipped under the radar; I don't remember it coming out, I've never seen a trailer for it - I'd never even heard of it, until it played on Film 4. That's when I sat down to watch it, and I'm glad I did. Actually this film is rather touching, if you like history (as I do) then this film will certainly hit all the right marks, if not accuracies. It is basically a prince and the pauper story about how Napoleon (Ian Holm) escapes his exile and returns to Paris to regain his empire. Ian Holm is absolutely fantastic as the diminuative dictator; throwing his short stature around with reckless abandon....however, he completely out-acts the rest of the cast, which is very unfortunate for all others, particularly Iben Hjejle as Pumpkin who seems rather lacklustre in comparison. The other main problem with this movie is that it didn't really seem to know what it wanted to be, was it a comedy, a tragedy, a romance or a historical epic? It didn't seem to know and after watching it, I'm not sure I know either. There are some wonderfully comedic moments but these are sprinkled liberally around a film that attempts to ram itself with pathos. There is nothing exceptional about this film, but that doesn't really matter - it is still enjoyable and well worth a watch on a Sunday afternoon. Which luckily enough was when I watched it.
December 7, 2010
Pleasant piece of hokum to while away a cold afternoon I enjoyed it
½ December 3, 2010
Interesting concept but the movie doesn't seem to know what it's trying to be; charming, hopeful, disturbing, fatalistic... Holm is excellent and suceeds in creating a great deal of sympathy for the deposed emperor. He is generally well supported but ultimately to little avail.
October 14, 2010
I just have to say like many other critics Ian Holm's Performance was just stellar. I just absolutely love this movie! This is a great alternative take on Napoleon Bonaparte exile.
½ April 30, 2010
A romance movie that actually works for me.
February 11, 2010
Good concept, poor execution, terrible score. Full of cliches, unnecessary set up, and all-too-obvious visual cues, this flick only thrives on Ian Holm's stateliness, and feels very tired and mediocre everywhere else (including the clearly cheap production design).
December 20, 2009
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.....its got a good cast of actors/actressess thorughout this movie....i think that tom watson, tim mcinnerny, nigel terry, ian holm, iben hjejle, murray melvin, clive russell, eddie marsan, hugh bonneville play good roles/parts thorughout this movie....i think that the director of this drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect thorughout this movie....i think that ian holm was great as napoleon n the lowly sailor who takes his place.....i think that this is a really powerful drama movie 2 watch with a good cast thorughout this movie
November 21, 2009
This was an interesting little movie built on this premise: What if what we knew about Napolean's defeat and death was actually false? The discovery that the remains of Napolean were discovered to contain a poison, thereby proving that he was actually murdered, have sparked the idea that perhaps the "Napolean" that died in exile was not really the former emperor of France? This little film offers its proposed conclusion to the real Napolean's life, very different from that written in the history books. It's funny, sometimes charming, and fairly entertaining. However if you have no interest in the subject matter you probably won't like it.
August 2, 2009
It starts well in St Helena and continues with the sea journey. Ian Holm doesn't look much like Napoleon and everybody has an English accent, but that's ok at first. Then he reaches Belgium and France - still no French accents anywhere. After a while Lord Percy Percy appears, there is some kerfuffle in the street with melons and stray dogs and it all becomes a bit of a joke. A shame because the cinematography, costume, sets are all pretty good, but the story and pace is rather lacking. I gave up halfway through.
½ May 15, 2009
It's a very interesting and funny movie.I can't get enough of the "What If" or "Alternate History" genre.I enjoyed this one so much.
January 23, 2009
This was advertised as a comedy but wasn't all that funny. There were some parts but most of the time it was more dramatic. The story was cute though, Napolean faking his death and living as a commoner until he can rise up again. I found it a bit slow at times and the female lead was brutal but otherwise it was alright
December 24, 2008
gd movie it's full of drama !

and napoleon's character was awsome !
½ November 30, 2008
How unjust and yet wonderful it would be if the revisionists tale were true.

A man surely guilty of leading so many to death to be offered up the very real choice of another life.

Still the prospect makes for an interesting idea, which in turn makes for a good film.
½ November 28, 2008
Quite a lovely movie. A delightful fantasy that puts the final days of Napoleon in a very fantastical and enjoyable light. Ian Holm was superb, as usual.
September 11, 2008
Wonderful Film. Second chances are possible.