Empire of the Ants - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Empire of the Ants Reviews

October 25, 2012
This is the only movie ever filmed in my hometown. If you lived in Ft. Pierce you would understand theres not much to use here. There isn't a good actor for miles. Empire of the Ants was very good considering the resources that were available. Here, we simply use miniatures and green-screens. CGI isnt exactly available to those without alot of money.
½ October 3, 2012
Another awful film sack but still worth the watch to hear them bag it out on film sack, I found it more enjoyable seeing it through film sack eyes but other than that it was pretty awful. I know it was 1977 but the effects sucked. Joan Collins was actually really hot back then she had the major sweater muffins going on.
½ September 9, 2012
Maybe if I was 7 years old, I might have been a little creeped out, but at this age it does nothing for me.
May 6, 2012
Empire of the Ants is one of those films I just love even though it's not a great movie. Where the film excels is with the FX. Using some smarts, the filmmakers managed to bring about giant killer ants (and lots of them) without amasing a super huge budget and without the use of CG. These days computer generated ants would be used and the film would just feel stupid and almost as if it was made for a kids tv show.
Though the film has a pretty amazing cast (Joan Collins, Robert Lansing, Jacqueline Scott, etc) they are never used to their full potential as the dialogue doesn't quite live up to their abilities.
Of course, the whole story of giant kill ants terrorizing a bunch of lam-os attending a "purchase swampland in Florida" sales pitch is pretty weak already so when you add in the poor script and lack luster directing, Empire of the Ants isn't likely to win over much more than young kids... and those of us who are still kids at heart.
January 30, 2012
Woohoo! This was a fun one. Actually a pretty well done giant insect movie, especially one done before the 80's. If you like older movies or giant insects check it out. The good old days when rolling around in radiation automatically improved a species. YEAH making radiation fun!
January 29, 2012
bad... omg. so bad. ;-)
1/5
½ January 26, 2012
When pollution, real-estate scams, and social insects coexist at the same time, an 'Empire Of The Ants' comes to being. Released in the late '70s, this is a weird midnight movie with fake ants, primitive special effects (SFX), scary moments, and Joan Collins! And yes, I liked it.
November 27, 2011
Bert I. Gordon almost made a decent movie. almost...
October 21, 2011
One of the worst movies I've ever seen.
½ August 7, 2011
I saw this on tv yesterday. Arguably the worst 2 hours I have ever spent in my life. It looks 100% fake even for the 70s. Don't see it. Don't make the same mistake I did.
July 29, 2011
Joan Collins in 1977? Nothing less than 4 stars
½ July 9, 2011
"They're herding us like cattle!" It was ridiculous.
FilmFanatik
½ May 22, 2011
Very poorly made, obvious allusions to Jaws, and a cast of unlikable characters. This is a really silly one that gets on your nerves a lot of the time because of the sound the creatures. There are some parts of it that make you laugh out loud with its awfulness, but that doesn't make this one a must-see, craptastic movie.
½ May 7, 2011
The film starts off really good an then goes down hill the minute the giant ants appear. There is no blood or any kind of gruesome kills. I mean we don't even see any Ants get ripped apart. Movies like this are notorious for over the top outrageous scenes, and at a time when the late 70's pulled no punches this was a small let down for me. If it wasn't so TV friendly this might have been a jewel.
March 19, 2011
This is one of those films that's so bad, it's good.
February 11, 2011
In general, I love giant animal cinema and 70s evil animal films, but I must admit that I found Empire of the Ants to be a tedious bore. The stupid daycationers who have come to a condo pitch on a island in order to score some free food and booze are all despicable but in a thoroughly lame way. The movie is boring from the characters up to the silly giant ants, which get old after the second time you have seen them.
Horror Movie Project
January 13, 2011
Empire of the Ants is a celebration of old 50's Monster Movies and how the genre was absolutely terrible. You have ants that are blown up and superimposed in the background and actors that have to "fake it" the entire time. The movie is really awful and got progressively worse through out its duration. Some of the scenes with the monster ants are painful to watch, really, they are that horrible.

How does this happen? How can you cast veteran actors like Joan Collins (Dynasty) and Robert Lansing (Kung Fu: The Legend Continues) to star in a huge piece of crap like this? Well I guess its not hard, just offer them most of the money that you have been allotted to make the picture. Other than Joan and Robert the rest of the actors are laughable at best; to the point where I was actually relieved when certain cast members were killed. But, that's just one of the problems with the movie.

The movie is loosely based on a short story by H.G. Wells. It's main focus is on a group of tourists on a timeshare tour when they run into a bunch of radiated and mutated ants. Funny thing about the movie is that the ants are never the same size; they grow and shrink depending on the scene. In some cases Ants are as big as dump trucks, in others they are about the size of an average man. The director had trouble controlling the ants so in some scenes you have ants crawling on the sky or trying to climb up the sides of a tiny set. Its pretty eff'ng hilarious.

There is nothing in this movie that makes it actually scary, it is just a terrible film. I dare anyone to watch this movie and tell me that it was amazing! You couldn't! Its hard to fathom how this movie even made it to the big screen. And so I give this movie a 2 out of 10. It made me chuckle, and if you want to fit this one into a movie marathon I would sandwich this in between Eaten Alive and the original The Crazies.

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords

S!D
January 4, 2011
Did we really need another giant ant movie? I don't think so, skip this movie and see Them instead. This one isn't too terrible, but it's not good either.
October 24, 2010
Bad acting,poor script,and sleazy characters.Still it's fun to watch giant ants eat these people,they deserve it.I liked this movie better when I was a kid,but hell it's good for some laughs if you watch it with a six pack.
flixsterman
½ October 5, 2010
To say that this is a cheap production would be an insult to cheap productions. It's not funny-bad or campy-bad, it's just plain bad-bad. Watch it if you must but be prepared for a healthy dose of "I told you so".