Empire Records Reviews

• 10h ago

Probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and I've seen quite a few Adam Sandler movies. Everything was so rushed and predictable and followed the same formula every other 90s teen movie does. I'd be surprised if I still remember this movie next week, it was so dull.

• 2d ago

This movie came out when I was 15. The narrow teenage mind with its quirks and petty problems was very relatable to me. To this day as I approach 40, gives me a nostalgia I long to go back to. This 90's movie has the characteristics of the 50's, with a standard look and theme that went along with Rebel Without a Cause. I will forever love this movie, I don't take stock in the formal critics here on Rotten Tomatoes, this is a five star flick!

• Aug 21, 2019

Predictable, but still a great movie to remind you of the 90's

Predictable, but still a great movie to remind you of the 90's

• Aug 09, 2019

Good natured, feel good movie with a rockin soundtrack!

Good natured, feel good movie with a rockin soundtrack!

• Jul 04, 2019

One of my faves movies, a classic 90's film that I grew up on. The acting is good, music is good. Very 90's movie about a bunch of kids that work in a record store.

• Jun 25, 2019

Classic 90s movie. It's a great teen comedy with all your fav 90s actors.

Classic 90s movie. It's a great teen comedy with all your fav 90s actors.

• May 31, 2019

I signed up to give this piece of s*** of a movie a well-deserved rating. the movie is illogical, its a mess, and the worst part is that it's trying to be comedic. the writing is the worst part followed by the acting. their idea of a movie is hot chicks mixed with forced drama alongside a poor and an original story. it's just baad.

• May 21, 2019

A strange, nostalgic trip.

A strange, nostalgic trip.

• Apr 22, 2019

Empire Records is the kind of movie that would probably be a huge nostalgic favorite if I saw it at the right age (approximately the age of the characters in the film.) It has such a fun-loving spirit and there are a number of memorable scenes even for someone like me, who just watched it for the first time. Between the goofy guys and the beautiful girls, there’s a lot to love in this wacky cast. These are the kind of characters that you want to hang out with for a couple hours, and when the movie is done you feel like Empire Records is a place you’d like to visit. I knew from the first scene with Rory Cochrane that I would enjoy the time spent with him, even if the rest of the movie was a total disaster. Then they kept introducing more people who were interesting. Each one had their own unique personality, and that made the movie work for me. I only wish Empire Records felt a little more cohesive in plot. The structure feels very loose, and often strayed into weird territory, or bounced around from one character’s story to another without warning. There were even some heavy topics that were brought up that felt like they needed to be taken seriously, but the film just moved on and got back to goofing off instead. I would have found a better connection to the movie if it was more focused, but the scatterbrained nature of it all somehow felt right for what they were trying to do. This feels like a movie made for teens, starring teens, and perhaps made by teens as well. It doesn’t want to get bogged down in the drama for too long because there’s a store to save and partying to do! It might not be perfect, but Empire Records delivers an enjoyable experience, and I’d be happy to join in that fun again any time.

• Apr 20, 2019

Great movie. It is the 90's equivalent of The Breakfast Club. In a decade of confusion and lost youth, Empire Records gives a peek at age old issues filtered through a 90s lens.