Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back Reviews

January 20, 2017
Although the Death Star is destroyed, the war against the Republic has just begun. The Empire Strikes Back I must say is quite easily better than it's previous, A New Hope. The AT-AT attack scene at Hoth is the scene I crave most. The rest compared to that scene is pretty good, including Yoda's first appearance, Cloud City, and of course, "I am your father." It's interesting that this Irvin Kershner replaces George Lucas for the directing (I almost assumed Lucas directed all six films). Overall, the action scenes were great (the AT-AT scene being phenomenal), the acting was great, and I also thought some of the humor was better, especially with C-3PO. A well done and thought out movie once again.
January 20, 2017
The best Star Wars movie by far
January 19, 2017
An excellent and rather perfect Star Wars film, that is well balanced and well played. This is one of the most outstanding sci-fi classics in history!
January 18, 2017
The Empire Strikes Back improves upon Star Wars and stands along with Terminator 2 Judgment Day as the greatest sequels ever made in cinematic history.
January 16, 2017
I really like this but the plot seemed to drag. Still a great film
January 16, 2017
So much great stuff in this movie, I love the scenes where Yoda is teaching Luke the force, a lot of character development there, and watching Luke throw down with Vader is always fun.
January 15, 2017
Not only the best Sci-fi films of all time, but one of the greatest movies ever made, perfect in almost every way.
January 14, 2017
The Empire Strikes Back is timeless in its impact, rich in its storytelling, and unforgettable in its ability to thwart all expectations.
January 11, 2017
Best Star Wars movie in the entire franchise!!!!
½ January 11, 2017
Nota: 9.7/10 - 4.7/5
January 10, 2017
One of the best movies of all time!
½ January 7, 2017
A great Star Wars movie! It is even better than Episode IV! This movie has a great amount of iconic quotes used all around the globe and has a great storyline too! It is a great Star Wars movie!
January 7, 2017
Regarded by many as the best film in the franchise, The Empire Strikes Back continues the saga by telling us of how the dark side fight on following the destruction of the Death Star. It's good to see a movie where the villains are the aggressors and come out on top for a change, even if it is just temporary. You could argue that like episode 2, this is a bit of a go between piecing together key events that occur in episodes 4 and 6. Nothing major happens here, but it's really about developing the characters; Luke learns his Jedi training and his true relationship with Vader, Han and Leia become romantically involved, and we are also introduced to Lando, Yoda, and one of my favourite characters, Boba Fett. There are several in flight battles again, which although aren't always my favourite, I guess cannot be avoided in a film entitled 'Star Wars'. There's always plenty of action and it keeps us glued from start to finish, with several injections of humour from the Droids and Solo's boyish yet arrogant manner. It doesn't end on a particular happy note for those rooting for the rebels, as Luke loses his hand, and Solo is frozen and sent for imprisonment at Jabba the Hutt's abode, but for me this is what makes a good series, both armies enduring their highs and lows in a see saw battle of the force. I can imagine it being the most frustrating of films with it ending in such a way that you immediately want to know what happens next, so for that you have to give it maximum credit. As with all films in this epic adventure, each one contributes a vital piece of the successful jigsaw and this is just another example of the amazing imagination that lives inside George Lucas' mind.
January 6, 2017
Such a brilliant movie.
January 4, 2017
While the first might be more fun, Empire is very clearly superior in every artistic aspect, and in several storytelling ones too.
½ January 3, 2017
The first sequel to the original Star Wars is still, arguably, the best (though The Force Awakens is right up there). Deeper, richer, and more textured than the original, it expands the scope of Star Wars without sacrificing the thrills. Again, the pre-1997 version is a classic of cinema.
January 2, 2017
The absolute greatest movie ever made!
January 2, 2017
Lots of action and drama . It follows our heroes through very difficult times, including one of the greatest plot twists in cinematic history.
Great Star Wars film. I personally prefer episode 4 but still amazing
January 2, 2017
My favorite movie of all time. Best movie ever made!! I have no words to describe how awesome this movie is.