Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back Reviews

July 25, 2016
Continued strength of the sequel spreads the drama far beyond the first episode. This film had heartbreaking twists and a powerful battle of the rebels and the empire.
July 24, 2016
One of the greatest sequels ever made , the best Star Wars chapter ever , one of my all time favorites
July 23, 2016
One of my favorite movies of all time, this movie arguably made a bigger impact on movies now than its predecessor and is for sure my favorite star wars film period.
July 23, 2016
Although admittedly inferior to A New Hope, the second and fifth Star Wars entry is the most cerebral and best acted film in the saga.
July 21, 2016
Star Wars Empire Strikes Back was a good start of rebuilding a backstory between each other about revealing the truth power of Darth Sidious in his backstory to overthrow the Republic after when Anakin Skywalker had to face his son Luke Skywalker in a devastating lightsaber fight Luke makes his final Escape this was a terrific way to finish the back story of this movie. give me a 10.9
July 21, 2016
I find when writing about Star Wars, all my tenses get mixed up. The first released trilogy came before the first three episodes and now we're getting not only sequential "sequels" but parallel stories too. Who knows where it will end? After the brash, joyous first (or fourth) Star Wars movie came the second (or fifth) instalment, The Empire Strikes Back. Coming three years after "A New Hope", Empire was a darker, perhaps more downbeat tale both in tone and sentiment. For me, this is/was the best of the the films so far just edging the previous instalment in a number of areas. It continued the plot in a credible and exciting way, developing the characters we had met before and introducing some noteworthy new ones. In particular we got the first screen appearance of the Emperor and the wonderfully realised Yoda. This little, loveable, wise character is imbued with such character and life that you really do forget that he is a puppet. Everything works about him and sadly, in his future (and past) appearances, he never really worked quite as well again. Frank Oz gave him not an instantly recognisable and easily imitated voice and also managed to create a personality that was recognisably human and heartwarming. Some of the action sequences in Empire are just superb. For me, the stand out scene is the sight of the Imperial Walkers attacking the rebel base on Hoth. I remember well seeing the sight of those immense, walking AT-ATs on the big screen as a child and being thrilled. It's a scene that still fills me with a sense of excitement and I don't think has really been equalled for scale and spectacle. The established cast return to their characters, noticeably older and more assured in their performances. On-screen, the three leads bounce off each other well creating a real chemistry between the characters. There is a doom laden air to the action and it all builds up to the cliffhanger ending nicely. Every aspect of The Empire Strikes Back works brilliantly and it still gives me just as much a of thrill to watch it now as it did back in 1980.
½ July 20, 2016
Has one of the best twists ever has a variety of planets that are explored and continues on to the story perfectly
July 19, 2016
The perfect Star Wars movie with exciting moments, witty dialogue , a great story more great characters and the best movie twist of all time.
July 18, 2016
Classic. 'nuff said
July 18, 2016
This film is without a doubt the best movie ever made, I could watch this movie over and over again it is that fantastic
July 17, 2016
A neat little unknown indy flick that will hopefully be famous someday.
July 17, 2016
I like it but honestly I like more of the others better. This is my 6th favourite Star Wars
July 9, 2016
My personal favorite of all Star Wars love action love spoilers love all of it

Lots of story and twist and surprises
July 9, 2016
The Empire Strikes Back is darker and characters reach new emotional levels than in the first Star Wars film. The introduction of Yoda is fantastic as he provides comic relief, but he becomes more serious once you learn his true identity. Darth Vader's character really wasn't as involved in the last film but in Empire Strikes Back we learn much more about his character. This is definitely the most serious Star Wars and also happens to be the best.
July 9, 2016
The sequel to Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back is visually stunning, thought provoking, and full of amazing characters. Truly a perfect movie.
½ July 8, 2016
The best of the original trilogy.
July 5, 2016
Favorite Star Wars film
July 4, 2016
The Empire Strikes Back is a testament of pure perfection due to paralleling the development and sinister tone of both the characters and diverging stories respectively
July 4, 2016
By far my favorite film of the Star Wars saga.
The best Star Wars film