Emporte-moi (Set Me Free) Reviews

John B Super Reviewer
    May 17, 2013

A superb addition to the Quebec canon brought to you by Lea Pool who is very successful at bringing out strong emotions from her actors. Karine Vanasse is the beneficiary of her guidance.

• Apr 28, 2012

Lea Pool's film is a beautiful, lyrical portrayal of a young girl's growing up. A lovely meditation, Set Me Free never glosses over the difficulties of Hanna's life, but somehow manages to make everything both ire an urgent as well as just a phase of life that can't be escaped.

• Apr 29, 2010

Si Léa Pool utilise assez bien ses capacités en offrant un film qui s'écoute sommes toutes assez bien, on regrette toutefois cet abus de poids dramatique qui va décidément trop loin au point d'enlever une bonne partie de l'effet dramatique désiré. Plusieurs interprétations et dialogues faussent également. Malgré tout, certains moments s'avèrent magnifiques.

• Dec 21, 2009

Style Nouvelle-Vague à la Godard, j'adore!

Style Nouvelle-Vague à la Godard, j'adore!

• Feb 04, 2006

I found it to be a moving little French-Canadian film. Telling a pretty common story kind of took away from it being a truely superior film.

• Jun 07, 2005

ok...more morbidity. it was night. we were in a house at the end of a culdesac. but that didn't stop the great number of cars circling around and turning back away from the house. an ex-girlfriend and i were watching the light do it's magic on the open blinds. we were screwing. some conversation. most of it didn't matter. she played the cute motherly thing which was always at her core and i played the jackass. as usual...i was frightened. the combination of the darkness in the room, the headlights through the blinds, and sex is too noir. i didn't like the dream. much less what happened at the end of it. i ruptured something in her. black ooze began to pour out of her foot onto the bed sheets. then some huge aggressive white guy came into the room, stared at me without speaking and then shuffled around in a drawer to which he came out with a shotgun, loading the ammunition right in front of me. end morbidity. i need to take control of my dreams. this one was too tangible to not be considered a threat. [img]http://www.merchantivory.com/setmefree/images/boygreen.jpg[/img] [b]Set Me Free [/b]is about Hanna, a 13 year old french/canadian girl ([i]karine vanasse)[/i] who is pretty confused, just then hitting adolescense, and living with her jewish, nothing-by-day...poet-by-night father who likes Rilke and an exhausted catholic mother. between the two of them, they do not provide hanna with anything close to an identity, but she does stumble upon a Godard film ([b]My Life to Live[/b]) in a theatre after school. she is taken by the lead character, [i]Nada[/i], a prostitute who repeats over and over to herself in the film "I am responsible." the sensuality exhibited in the character as well as well as the self-destructive paradox of [i]being[/i]a prostitute and reciting to oneself "I am responsible" is too enticing for the lead character Hanna to resist and so begins to immitate. it's a very good film and vanasse (Hanna) is remarkable.