The Enchanted Cottage Reviews

• Aug 27, 2019

A three handkerchief movie! "The Enchanted Cottage" is one of those old fashion tear-jerkers that Hollywood did so well back in the 1930's and 1940's. SPOILER ALERTS! A scarred WW II fighter pilot returns to what was suppose to be his honeymoon cottage, morose and in despair. A plain, young woman working as the maid brings him back to humanity - and love! "The Enchanted Cottage" might have been just good, yet it is really enhanced by the stellar performances by Dorothy McGuire and Robert Young as the two lovers. McGuire in particular brings real heart to her role - sympathy and pity, but not pitiful. Her Laura shows steely determination and real strength of character. Outstanding acting on her part! Add to that the great supporingt performance by Mildred Natwick as the housekeeper of the cottage - aloof and frosty, but hiding a heart of gold. The rest of the cast, especially Spring Byington, really do a bang-up job. And the sets and scenery all add to the magical feel of the entire film. If you want to see quality, maudlin movie making that you can't get on Lifetime, "The Enchanted Cottage" is the film for you!

• Jun 01, 2019

Requires a great deal of suspension of belief, but if you can do it, this is well worth watching. It's hard to detract from the beauty of Dorothy McGuire -- this was a herculean task, and still was almost impossible to believe. No man is going to turn away from someone as beautiful as she was. The "change" in Robert Young is not really noticeable. This is as close to being hokey as you can get and still be considered a "classic movie".

• Feb 01, 2019

The best romance movie ever made!

The best romance movie ever made!

• Oct 15, 2018

Almost all reviews of this wonderful movie miss the impact that the musical score adds to the whole atmosphere of the cottage, actors, and dreamy quality which encompasses the entire film. During this time period film composers were adapting new orchestrations mirroring the Impressionistic music of Debussy, whose music pushed the boundaries of feelings it could pull out of a listener. Its dramatically timed to perfection. Also this was the age of pounding piano concertos by composers like Rachmaninoff.... So to tell the story through a blind composer's mental eye as a tone poem is just an awesome idea... Dorothy McGuire nails it 100% .... although it's hard to get Dorothy to a state I'd call homely ...! Robert Young's is somewhat forced at times .... I guess he would be a handsome 40's guy .. ?? Herbert Marshall is as convincing as you can get... But overall please listen to the music under the film as it sweeps you into this romance ... it's just plain gorgeous !!!

• Jun 30, 2018

This is one of my favorite old movies. I absolutely love it & love it more every time I see it <3

• Jun 13, 2017

A bit too cheesy for me.

A bit too cheesy for me.

• Jan 03, 2017

Great chick flick about falling in love with the person - not just their looks and abilities. The war is just a convenient bit of the story. Besides, any film with Spring Byington is worth a viewing.

• Oct 23, 2015

one of my favorite films

one of my favorite films

• May 23, 2014

Why is this not available? It's a great picture! someone please reissue it!

Why is this not available? It's a great picture! someone please reissue it!

• Nov 10, 2013

The message is timeless, and the last scene heartbreakingly profound. I tear up every time. Perhaps the most romantic film ever made.