Ender's Game - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ender's Game Reviews

June 12, 2016
Without reading the book. The movie was fairly engaging if it wasn't for the disappointing ending which surely draws parallels to Hiroshima and Nagasaki but also seemed a little bit too exaggerated with the bug-looking alien queen next door.
May 30, 2016
This was really enjoyable, inoffensive fun throwing up some good questions. Worth a watch :)
May 28, 2016
So odd, yet, not inconceivable. The genetically engineered humans to achieve higher intelligence to fight the aliens that they had defeated 50 years ago or something. The aliens aren't attacking, but shoot first, ask questions later, is how they run things and Ender is proving to be their biggest success. When threatened, he goes into this auto-mode of kill or be killed, even though it may not be his intention.
½ May 9, 2016
Generally stuck to the book and I respected that.
½ May 6, 2016
just another teenagers failed saga
April 30, 2016
A good-looking adaptation of the Orson Scott Card novel, this film tells of the military training endured by a cadre of brilliant teenagers who have been recruited to lead the defence of Earth against alien invaders. Children are selected because their minds are supposedly more agile and better at processing huge amounts of battle data than adults. There are some disturbing aspects to the basic premise and story about child soldiers and total war. Possibly because I've read the book, the movie's climax lacked the emotional heft that the filmmakers were going for. Asa Butterfield gives a good performance as Ender, a strategic and tactical genius who leads his fellow teens in their training battles. I also enjoyed the soundtrack, which did a good job of maintaining a feeling of tension and danger. I think the movie would have fallen very flat without the emotional backing of the score.
April 30, 2016
Ender's Game has a lot of great visual effects and spectacular action scenes.
Asa Butterfield, Hailee Steinfeld and Abigal Breslin are the only teen actors that didn't make me laugh. The other background actors were pretty bad and really took me out of the movie.
½ April 28, 2016
It was a good movie, better than what I was expecting. It could have been a great one but just fell short.
April 27, 2016
i really enjoyed this movie, but i think that the plot wasnt seize enough, and the cast felt the same way
½ April 27, 2016
Neither brilliant enough to praise nor sub-par enough to neglect, Ender's Game remains an enjoyable popcorn flick with solid performances, a likable lead, enjoyable characters and exciting action. While it's incredibly shallow compared to the book, it's a slightly above-average blockbuster.
½ April 24, 2016
I know i've read nearly every version of this story, but still expected the story to surprise me more. It could have been any teen film, and the twist was so well signposted even my dad saw it coming! Not bad, but could have been so much better.
April 21, 2016
Ender's Game is directed and written by Gavin Hood who directed X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and it stars Asa Butterfield, Harrison Ford, Hailee Steinfeld, Viola Davis, Abigail Breslin, and Ben Kingsley in a science fiction film about a kid named Ender (Asa Butterfeld) who is a genius that got Hyrum Graff (Harrison Ford) and Gwen Anderson (Viola Davis) noticing him who Hyrum believes that Ender is the one. So they invite him to the space station to get trained to be the best with other kids. With the same director of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, I didn't have that much expectations of it, but I saw that it has better reviews than his previous film, which got me curious to see it, and to my surprise, I really like the film. The acting is terrific from Asa Butterfeld, Harrison Ford, Viola Davis, Abigail Breslin, Ben Kingsley, and some great actors. The premise is something that had been done multiple times, but what they put in it is something that I've not quite seen before, making it by itself and it definitely doesn't feel like a young adult movie adaptation like Hunger Games or Maze Runner. The characters are good, especially the main character who has a lot of depth into him and is not like your typical child prodigy thanks to a surprisingly well written script by Gavin Hood. The ship that they created looks really cool, and the special effects are really polished and nice to look at. The strategic scenes look really good and smart that I feel like the characters actually know what to do. The space fight scenes are exciting to watch, even if they are simulators. The score by Steve Jablonsky sounds really good as it fits to the film and make it more interesting. There were some parts that I thought were going to a route, but it surprised me and it goes through a different route which makes me wonder about where the movie is going. While Ender's Game wasn't fantastic, it was very entertaining for me and I wished that there was a sequel.
½ April 20, 2016
I was put off this at first due to the lead actor being about 10 years old but after a while coerced in due to a good sci-fi story and the stern leadership of Harrison Ford, who for me saves the movie.
Suddenly Ben Kingsley arrives and the tempo is notched up several clicks resulting in a fantastic end battle.
The kid that plays Ender is far better than Will Smiths kid at acting and the cgi suited the film.
Good effort.
April 19, 2016
Acting is average. Realism is average. But I just couldn't help thinking about it for days. Surprisingly raises some interesting questions and is refreshingly unpredictable
½ April 18, 2016
I have not read the book, so I can't say how it compares, but the film seems poorly written. Characters are not developed properly and actions don't always make sense other than to move the story along.
April 17, 2016
Something dark and unusual pokes through from beneath the potentially annoying kid adventure veneer.
April 16, 2016
I bought this movie on blu-ray because I enjoyed it so much. It builds throughout and ends in a not totally unexpected twist, but very well acted
April 16, 2016
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....
April 13, 2016
Not bad.... I like how they pictured Ender... No the end result
½ April 12, 2016
A very interesting, very ADD sci-fi family film. It's got its action, its nice visuals, and its well acted. The story line seems to get distracted and wonders off at times, but overall it's a fair effort.