Endless Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Endless Love Reviews

½ October 23, 2015
A horrible movie that you can't keep your eyes away from. It really deserves a treatment by Mystery Science Theater 3000. Franco Zefferelli! directs this bomb which has the debut of James Spader and Tom Cruise. It's actually fun to watch one more unbelievable plot point after another. The only quality aspects of production are the visuals and the song by Lionel Richie and Diana Ross but who cares!
½ June 13, 2015
Wonderful to look at, but the editing and pacing and storytelling is so lacking that it's hard to make it through it all.
April 29, 2015
I guess I must be one of the very few who managed to feel the despair of the character's obsessive love (to the sound of that heartbreaking Lionel Richie song), but sadly after one hour the movie becomes a sappy overplotted soap-opera and doesn't even care to offer us a conclusion.
April 9, 2015
You don't get worse than this.All the coming of age crap to come in the rest of the 80's can call this $hit their champion.
February 8, 2015
in zeffirelli's skillful hands we see the innocence come shinig thru
½ December 30, 2014
Endless Love (1981) Movie Review!

By god...what a disgusting and disturbing movie.

The premise is thus: A young (17 year old) boy and a girl (15 year old) are committed in a relationship and just go about it, pretty much. That would sound good in ink and paper, oh wait, it did. The book was better received then both of the movie adaptations that it has received.

The acting is below average, the story-line is deluded and the pretentious idea of what it stands for is insulting. Never in my life have I seen a sex-depraved psychopath more than this guy.

It does the book an injustice, and as a stand-alone movie, it sucks. It just sucks. I hated this movie. I hated watching every minute of this movie. Save your breath and watch an actual romantic movie.

1 out of 10. (.5 stars)
½ November 23, 2014
The half star is for James Spader. He's the only actor who seems to give a crap.
October 27, 2014
It's a bit old but still good, though I prefer the new version, than the old version. Because it captures the love in today's society and in modern day setting.
October 18, 2014
Brooke Shields and Martin Hewitt play two 15 year olds who fall in "love". Initially everything is fine until the girls parents find out that the two are having sex. The father forbids them to see each other anymore. The movie doesn't show how the girl is affected but does show the boy obsessing over her and falling apart. After talking to a friend of his, a young Tom Cruise in his first movie, the boy decides to set fire to the girl's house, then run in and save everyone to be the hero and hopefully be able to see the girl again. The plan appears to be working until the boy confesses to the arson and then spends two years in a mental institution, where he continues to obsess. After getting out and learning that the girl's parents have divorced he goes to see her mother who tries to seduce him. He tells her he cannot sleep with anyone but Jade and manages to get her address before he leaves. On his to way to see her, he sees the father, who tries to chase him away but is hit and killed by a car. The boy is finally able to see the girl and in an intense scene she admits to still loving him. However the next day the girl finds out that her father died chasing the boy. After a fight between the boy and the girls brother, he goes back into the hospital. The movie ends with the boy staring out the window and you see the girl walking towards the hospital and you are left wondering is she really coming to see him or is he daydreaming. Decent movie with a good performance by Brooke Shields as the main female character and James Spader as her brother. For the most part the movie just stirs up emotions of what our "first love" was like and if it did not work out then it leaves you with a sad lonely feeling.
September 15, 2014
It's a tale as old as time; young love, disapproving parents and generational discord. These timeless themes are given a psychotic twist in "Endless Love", a messy but nevertheless enjoyable film that is not nearly as romantic as it thinks it is.

In the beginning, the relationship between creepy Martin Hewitt and the radiant Brooke Shields is kind of sweet, as the two-year age difference isn't as scandalous as the screenwriter would like us to believe. The second half of the film turns darker and it becomes a lot of fun to watch but for all the wrong reasons.

All of the credibility goes right out the window and any sympathy you had for the Hewitt character goes right along with it, as his endless love disintegrates into obsession. There's a jarring shift in tone as the story picks up after Hewitt has been found guilty or arson and includes several ludicrous moments including an attempted seduction scene involving Shield's on-screen mother. It's all campy fun indeed, but surely not the tone director Franco Zifferelli wanted for his very serious love story.

The Oscar nominated title song by Lionel Richie and Diana Ross is clearly the best thing in the picture , but Zifferelli has a habit of using it at the most inopportune times such as when Hewitt is lighting Shield's house on fire or holding her down against her will. Like much of the film, it's laughable.

"Endless Love" was quite controversial upon its initial release, but a lot of people won't understand why. This alleged romance will do little to lift your spirits. It may have worked better as a thriller.
August 17, 2014
Very disappointing, very boring.
July 29, 2014
The film was filled with creepy moments and an outrageous plot. the ending wasn't good but it was slightly entertaining.
July 14, 2014
Im in love with their love this is a beautiful movie and yeah its just amazing
½ July 10, 2014
As the title promises, it is endless. Unfortunately, it lacks "love".
July 9, 2014
I would love to see this movie
July 8, 2014
This movie sucked ass. It turned a generation of boys gay.
½ July 2, 2014
The film relies completely on meaningless cliches and the whole relationship can be regarded as wrong, but despite that I kind of liked it. Leonel Richie also adds an amazing theme to the film at the time when Brooke Shields was young and beautiful in the early 80's.
June 13, 2014
Bad, but kind of liked it. The scene with Brooke cuddled up with her dad while the romantic song plays is all kinds of wrong, but whole movie is kind of a stretch.
Ending was very unclear. I honestly couldn't tell if she went back to him or not.
However, it's an 80's movie, albeit not one I ever watched at the time, being about 7 years old when it was released.
Brooke was very beautiful and I did like her white dress, although I did wonder if they were actually intending it to look like a wedding dress!
I had no idea James Spader was in this. Apparently Tom Cruise is too, although I couldn't pick him (probably a plus!).
Very different to the "new" Endless Love movie, though there are similarities, of course. I enjoyed that, so I'm glad about that as it means I don't have to choose which is better.
June 4, 2014
My Favorite Romance Film Is 1997's Titanic.