Enemies, a Love Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Enemies, a Love Story Reviews

½ February 25, 2015
A delightful romantic affair with great performances from Ron Silver, Anjelica Huston, Judith Malina, Margaret Sophie Stein, and a dynamite performance from Lena Olin that deserved to win an Oscar but only was nominated. It's funny, romantic, and a whole lot of fun.
½ November 20, 2014
½ July 17, 2014
"Enemies, a Love Story" is such an intriguing film because it refuses to be tamed, to settle down into a nice, comforting parable with a lesson to teach us.
July 1, 2014
A sex farce that touched on the Holocaust made a lot of people queasy so, even if people knew it existed, they probably would have stayed away. Their loss. It's completely charming and observant.
January 6, 2014
A comedy both extremely entertaining, yet with a dark side - like its Yiddish soul -Great performances by all - a real treat, unforgettable - Great director, Mazursky, gets the real feel of New York after WW2
April 21, 2013
If there was ever an anti-crowd pleaser, "Enemies, A Love Story" is a great example. Just from the plot, most people (including me) would expect a screwball comedy. But considering everything occurring here is mostly dramatic, and the film runs a little too long, there isn't too much to enjoy. Thanks to the superb acting though, "Enemies, A Love Story" remains memorable in its own dark, subtle ways.
Herman (Ron Silver) is a Holocaust survivor that is now living in Coney Island with his new wife Yadwiga (Margaret Sophie Stein). Instead of spending his days in a concentration camp though, Yadwiga sheltered him from the Nazis in her family's barn. Unfortunately Herman's wife and kids died.
You'd think that he would be thankful to already be loved and have a decent marriage, but no. Herman is in the meantime, having an affair with another Holocaust survivor, the moody Masha (Lena Olin). When he's spending time with her he tells Yadwiga that he's at work, yet he feels nervous in the streets. Things get a little bit nuttier when Masha gets pregnant and Herman feels that the right thing to do is marry her-- after all, his marriage to Yadwiga isn't completely legal.
But things get even worse when Herman's supposedly deceased wife Tamara (Anjelica Huston) comes out of nowhere and complicates things.
"Enemies, A Love Story" takes place in 1949, and while it does have great period sets and costumes, that isn't a big focus here. It focuses less on glamour and more on the aftermath of WWII on Jews. Not to suggest the film is completely humorless-- the script, for the most part, carries a quiet sense of wit with it, and towards the beginning of the film, the characters talk with an interesting tone that reminds one of Woody Allen.
It isn't necessarily laugh out loud funny, and it isn't meant to be a comedy. We're instead just taking a look at these damaged peoples' lives, and it's rather interesting.
Mazursky directs in a tone that feels claustrophobic and a bit like a play, but because this is more of a relationship film than anything, it works nearly perfectly. The screenplay is even better, while it is still a bit depressing. Towards the beginning, everyone feels a bit caricaturish, but the film slowly trudges along with growing pessimism. Mazursky is a great comedy director, but with this drama, it shows a different side to his talent.
The acting phenomenal as well, especially the two leading women, Olin and Huston.
Masha, characterized wonderfully by Olin, is intelligent and when calm, speaks without enthusiasm like Madeline Kahn in "Blazing Saddles"-- but when she's upset, her vulnerability comes to a point where we even question Masha's sanity. If her calm manner is fašade, why does she do it in the first place? She's a complicated character, but Olin manages to make us understand her somewhat.
Huston's portrayal is essential to the film, despite the fact it's downplayed towards the torrid relationship between Herman and Masha. Huston is the only sense of warmth in the entire film-- she walks with a sense of bravery, and acts tough, and when she's with with Herman you can see him spark up. You know Tamara is truly fragile inside, but is so compassionate that you can't help but really appreciate her.
"Enemies, A Love Story" isn't for everybody, but it often times shows talent that's timeless.
½ May 8, 2011
Not Even the Excuse of Passion

Some people's lives are their own faults. They may have something in their past to fall back on, some excuse as to why things just happened to them. Sometimes, the excuse may even explain some of what went wrong. However, when you look at the choices that person made even in the midst of spells of tranquility, they have inevitably made the choice which makes things worse. It may well be easier if they have some great tragedy in their past, because people will believe that. "I wouldn't be like this if X hadn't happened." In this case, the Holocaust. But we as the audience know that, without the Holocaust, the main character here would have ended up in some other miserable and untenable position. And we know it because the character who knows him best knows. She knows him better than he can know himself, because he won't let himself. If he tried to know himself, he'd have to admit that the problems in his life can't be blamed on the Nazis.

He is Herman Broder (Ron Silver). It is 1949, and he has immigrated to Coney Island from Poland, bringing with him his young wife, Yadwiga (Malgorzata Zajaczkowska, credited as Margaret Sophie Stein). She was his servant Before, and she and her family hid him in their hayloft from the Nazis. And when he climbed down out of the hay, it was to find that his wife and children were dead. He and Yadwiga moved to the United States to escape his past, but I don't think he feels quite escaped enough. So he cheats on her, the symbol of that past, with Masha (Lena Olin), a fragile and earthy survivor of Auschwitz. Her mother (Judith Malina) shows him a personal ad someone has taken out looking for him, and it is from Tamara (Anjelica Huston)--his first wife, who turns out not to be so dead as all that. She finds out that he has married Yadwiga and immediately intuits the existence of Masha. Masha knows about Yadwiga but won't believe him when he tells her Tamara is still alive. And Yadwiga, he doesn't even tell.

What grated on me was that they kept referring to Yadwiga as a peasant. It's true that she was a servant in Poland. That her family had a hayloft to hide a Jew in. But you know, they harp almost more on the fact that she was a peasant than that she was a Gentile. She wants very much to convert and marry Herman in the Jewish faith. She wants to bear him children. This is, after all, a kind of miracle, for all Herman's boss, Rabbi Lembeck (Alan King), things mixed marriages are the curse of the Jews. But maybe if she will convert, it will be not so bad. It's certainly true that Yadwiga isn't as cosmopolitan as Tamara, as independent and intelligent as Tamara and Masha both. She is still acting like Herman's servant, and she probably still feels as though she has to. But I can't help wondering how much of that is everyone talking down to her all the time and not giving her a chance to become who she has the potential to be. I don't think Yadwiga is actually stupid, just ignorant, and everyone seems to treat her as though they're the same thing.

I think Herman would be better off with Tamara than with the other two, but I think Tamara deserves better. He needs someone who can control him, head off his wild impulses. In perhaps the best shot of the movie, Herman stands in front of a sign at the station with three arrows, one pointing to Brooklyn; one, the Bronx; and one, Manhattan. Each arrow indicates a different woman to him, and he cannot choose among them. When he goes to Tamara, it is because everything makes sense with her. Masha probably wasn't in the best emotional state before the war, and her experiences have only scarred her worse. She clings to Herman, but Herman is not a strong foundation. Yadwiga will let Herman do whatever he wants to, because she isn't strong enough nor experienced enough to make him stop. Tamara tells him that he needs a manager, that she will be that manager. If he'd listened to her, it would have worked. But it would have tied him to her in ways she didn't deserve.

No two of the four main characters got through the war the same way, for all it may appear that Herman and Yadwiga did. However, he was in the hayloft and she was in the world. Masha was in the camps. Tamara crawled out of her own grave, probably the one her children were in as well, and hid in the woods until the war was over. I don't think it made any of the four who they were, but I think it could be seen as a decent parallel for their personality types. The camps happened to Masha as life did. Every day was lived in the shadow of Death, and every day, you had to choose if you were going to keep fighting. Tamara made the choice, and while she lived with the consequences, she always bore the mark. She struck out on her own. Yadwiga took care of Herman. Probably her family, too. Lived in the awareness that things were not as they once were and that there was something wrong about that. And Herman? Herman hid and let Yadwiga take care of him.
September 23, 2010
Extremely interesting film starring Ron Silver as a Holocaust survivor who, believing his wife was killed in the camps, goes on to marry the Polish woman who hid him during the war. Of course, he's also having an affair with another woman, and his supposedly deceased wife shows up soon. Excellent acting all around and a very good script, I was most interested in the relatinship between Silver and Anjelica Huston as the "dead" wife.
½ January 4, 2010
Not something to necessarily bring joy on a Saturday night but a good effort nonetheless.
December 31, 2009
(****): Thumbs Up

A very well-acted and interesting film.
½ August 1, 2009
Eh- OK. The theatre we watched it in was PACKED. WE sat at the very front and the sound was horrible, so I missed a fair amount of dialogue.
April 16, 2009
I'm reading this book right now and I'm waiting to watch the movie until after I've finished...that is taking a long time! Herman is juggling three women: he's married to all three. Drama, drama, and more drama... Seriously, he's been through a horrible experience and he's searching for his belief in anything. I can relate to that...
This is the second Isaac Bashevis Singer book I've read. The first was The Penitent and what a wonderful book. I'm not Jewish but I can really relate to the push and pull of religion versus the realities of life.
March 16, 2009
I was sad to hear of Ron Silver's passing, in honor of his work I wanted to point to this little-seen film he starred in that I found excellent. The cast is superb, the story is moving and character arcs surprising and captivating. While this is not necessarily Ron's best work (I'd count West Wing there), his character is the centerpiece around which swirls a poignant story.
½ September 1, 2008
Paul Mazursky is one of our great under-rated directors (see An Unmarried Woman), and here he crafted one of the best of '89 in this searing post-Holocaust drama.
½ May 10, 2008
Atmospheric and haunting. The 3 women are the true stars in this film. All deliver brilliant performances perfectly capturing the accent and language of Jewish people in NYC during the 40s. Ron Silver is good but ultimately unsympathetic in a thankless role as a weak and narcissistic man not content with what God has given him in one woman. Certainly an acquired taste but if you're into arthouse cinema but with a large budget then this is for you.
November 20, 2007
I'm on the soundtrack
November 15, 2007
Not my sort of movie, no.
½ April 22, 2007
Adpted from the novel by Isaac Bashevis Singer. I loved the book, and the movie was very good.
½ January 18, 2007
this is a better book probably. its not boring but its low!
½ April 15, 2006
[b]Coal Miner's Daughter[/b], directed by Michael Apted, is the wonderful biography of country superstar Loretta Lynn. Sissy Spacek stars as Loretta Lynn, one of eight children born into poverty. Her father Ted (Levon Helm) is a coal miner who does his best to provide for his family, but the odds are stacked against Loretta and the other children. At the age of 13 she meets Doolittle "Mooney" Lynn (Tommy Lee Jones) a cocky man who has just returned from WWII. He isn't much interested in life as a coal miner and takes an interest in young Loretta. At the age of 13 she marries Doolittle and immediatly begins having babies, four by the time she reaches the age of 20. Loretta sings to her children, and Doolittle takes notice of her talent, buying her a guitar. He begins acting as her manager, securing a gig at a nearby honky tonk. This leads to cutting a record, which eventually becomes her first hit. Loretta forges a friendship with Patsy Cline (Beverly D'Angelo) and soon becomes a huge star. She also becomes more idependent, and Dolittle feels abandoned.

[i]Coal Miner's Daughter [/i]remains one of the best musical biographies ever filmed. Loretta Lynn's ags to riches story is prefect for film, but what makes this sucj a memorable experience is Sissy Spacek's amazing performance. She won a well-deserved Oscar for her role. Tommy Lee Jones is also very good in this film as are supporting characters Levon Helm and Beverly D'Angelo. It's an excellent film.

[b]The Color Purple,[/b] directed by Steven Spielberg,is a heartfelt, epic tale spanning 40 years of the life of a poor Southern black woman named Celie (Whoopi Goldberg). At an early age, Celie is virtually sold into marriage, becoming seperated from her sister Nettie. Her abusive and domineering husband Albert (Danny Glover) doesn't want Celie to read any of Nettie's letters, so he hides them and forbids Celie to go to the mailbox. Celie is more of a servant than a wife, but she soon gets a different perspective when Albert's oldest son from a previous marriage Harpo (William E. Pugh) marries the independent and opinionated Sofia (Oprah Winfrey). Soon Celie gains another friend in Albert's old mistress Shug (Margaret Avery) a free-spirited singer. Celie's relationship with these two women help her gain confidence in herself, and later give her confidence to stand up to Albert.

I consider [i]The Color Purple[/i] to be one of Spielberg's finest accomplishments. For some reason, this film has recieved more later day backlash than other films considered to be Spielberg classics, which I find quite odd. Is it overly sentimental? Yes, but how many Spielberg films can also make that claim? Most of them can. It's an extremely emotional story throughout, and unlike a few other Spielberg films the sentimental ending feels like a natural progression for the Celie character. If anyone deserves to triumph, it's her. Another criticism I've heard from a few male critics is that this film is overly biased and negative towards men. Poor fellas! Yes the main male character Albert is selfish and abusive, but even his character eventually gets a small redemption. Celie's father was also abusive. It's a fact of life that some men can be very abusive, and if a film explores the female perspective regarding these issues so be it. For every film that takes a Feminist slant there are say 100 that incorporate female nudity that does nothing to further a storyline. The fact is that [i]The Color Purple [/i]is a wonderful film with something very important to say. Beautiful cinematography and wonderful performances from Whoopi Goldberg (who I normally don't like), Oprah Winfrey, Margaret Avery and Danny Glover. A Spielberg classic.

[b]Enemies: A Love Story[/b], directed by Paul Mazursky, stars Ron Silver as Herman, a man who survives Nazi occupation during WWII and now resides in New York City. He believes his wife Tamara (Anjelica Huston) perished in a concentration camp and ends up marrying Yadwiga (Margaret Sophie Stein) who's famliy helped hide him from the Nazis. Before that, Yadwiga worked for Herman and Tamara. Yadwiga is very devoted to Herman, but he isn't compltely satisfied so he takes on a mistress Masha (Lena Olin). When Masha becomes pregnant, Herman marries her as well. Things get further complicated when his first wife Tamara reeappears. How can Herman many to juggle three marraiages without the other wives finding out?

[i]Enemies [/i]is a finely crafted story featuring stellar performances, particularly the Oscar nominated Huston and Olin. It's a drama with some highly comedic moments, especially from Anjelica Huston. Well worth seeing.