The Enemy Below - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Enemy Below Reviews

February 1, 2014
I've watched submarine movies since I was a kid and this is the all time very best. Robert Mitchum and Curt Jurgens were perfect down to their last lines. Great story and great ending.
½ September 12, 2013
Pure enjoyment.....great acting and a really good script,what's not to like.
½ July 17, 2013
Curt Jurgens is cool!
May 1, 2013
Excellent war movie showing not only good sea war battle scenes, but also mutual gallantry displayed by both sides. Another proof that a good movie could be enjoyed any time regardless of when it was made.
March 24, 2013
A relatively tense game of cat and mouse between a US destroyer and a German U-Boat. Works perfectly well as an action packed WW2 film, less so an indictment of war and the impact it has on those involved. You'll want to see Das Boot for that.
March 11, 2013
another WWII drama post WWII/submarine tale
jjnxn
September 11, 2012
Two fine actors Mitchum and Jurgens make this worth watching.
½ April 11, 2012
One of the all time great war movies. Intelligently written and directed, it showed the humanity on both sides as well as the blind stupidity.
March 11, 2012
The Enemy Below is an impressive film. It is about an American destroyer meeting a German U-boat and their captains. Robert Mitchum and Curd Jurgens give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Dick Powell did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this movie because of the action and adventure. The Enemy Below is a must see.
½ January 27, 2012
This plays right into my idea of what psychological warfare is all about. And one of the reasons I like this movie is that the plot seemed so similar to a "Star Trek" episode which I enjoyed (and didn't find out, until recently, had actually been inspired by this very same movie). Mitchum just seems perfect playing an officer (much like his role in "The Longest Day"), and Jurgens as his counterpart seems a perfect opponent (I don't really want to call him a villain, as he is playing the role of a German officer, rather than the goose-stepping Nazi type (reference the commandant in "The Great Escape", a member of the Luftwaffe, who is fulfilling his duties, but has much disdain for the politics of the Nazi party).
December 7, 2011
A very good old classic War movie. It got an oscar at the time (1957) for special effects.
November 5, 2011
One of the best WWII submarine movies around
½ March 13, 2011
WWII Navy flick. Long, tedious pursuit of German u-boat sub made me take many breaks to freshen up. The depth charges unfortunately never stop in this cat-and-mouse action-suspense drama.

Mitchum and Curt Jurgens, by now established actors, are portrayed as two philosophers in uniform. The humane, as opposed to the often told inhumane, side of war and the toll it takes on these two captains is refreshingly explored.

Our U.S. ship and crew are bored floating around in the south Atlantic. They get a new captain who the ship's aged doctor befriends. Mitchum, fresh out of the hospital after having survived at sea, is treated skeptically by the crew who believe he is inexperienced for the job. They soon learn he isn't as bad as they imagined. But where he got his sub chasing skills we don't know. Hey, its a movie ok?

The film was based on a popular book at the time, The Enemy Below. Director Dick Powell makes an over selling trailer about the film, but that's what trailers often do, oversell.
I tend to watch trailers after I watch a film and not often find them very honest. For me, such was the case here.

Filmed in Cinemascope the movie is pretty well done, but the depth charges got to be endless and like two heavyweight boxers getting tired of throwing punches, the film sinks to the canvass as we wait for this one to end.

It does end, a creative but rather unrealistic one. Both captains sharing cigarettes on a ship was flat out Hollywood and to me, not real honest. After an hour and a half of trying to kill each other, this film becomes a morality play. Maybe things like this really did happen at sea?

Run Silent, Run Deep is my pick over The Enemy Below as an action flick. The scene that sunk this film for me was the Germans singing an old drinking song as they were near death's door on the bottom. By that time I got the message about what war does to combatants. The German captain spells it out clear as day when he complains that humans were taken out of wars.

I would wish to see a vintage WWII submarine film where for once the enemy is not sweating, in their underwear, running around oily and desperate. Where, unlike this film, the captain is not aged and tired of war. Of course, our Navy men are fresh as daisys, playing cards or doing whatever sailors do for relaxation.

To its credit however we don't see too many scenes of carnage in this late fifties sea chase. What we do see is two crews, two ships and two captains alone at sea doing what they'd rather not be doing.

There in a nutshell is the summation of The Enemy Below. The irony of it all. One could have just as well titled this one The Enemy Above.

NOTES about the film:

1 Curt Jürgens as Captain Von Stolberg in reality was imprisoned by order of Nazi propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels during World War II.

2 Theodore Bikel played the second in command to Curt Jurgens in reality was an immigrant Austrian Jew who was born in Vienna, Austria, in 1924. He and his family fled to America by way of Palestine in 1937.

3 The U-boat in the film is very unrealistic in its size. It has passageways and side rooms, with the captain having a private stateroom off the control center. No World War II U-boat had staterooms and the captain's bunk was little more than a shelf across a small passage from the radio room, which was itself merely a small closet.

4 The crew in this film is also much neater and cleaner than a real crew would have been. (For a more realistic portrayal of life aboard a U-boat, see Das Boot).

5 The 1966 Star Trek episode "Balance of Terror" is closely based on this film, with the USS Enterprise cast as the destroyer and the Romulan vessel as the U-boat.

Directed by legend actor Dick Powell
Produced by legend actor Dick Powell
Written by Wendell Mayes
Denys Rayner (novel)
Music by Leigh Harline
Cinematography Harold Rosson
Editing by Stuart Gilmore

Distributed by 20th Century Fox
Release date(s) December 25, 1957 (NYC premiere)

Cast

Robert Mitchum as Captain Murrell

Curt Jürgens as Kapitän von Stolberg. (see NOTE 1)

Theodore Bikel as 'Heinie' Schwaffer, von Stolberg's second in command. (see NOTE 2)

Al Hedison as Lieutenant Ware, the executive officer of the Haynes

Doug McClure, in his film debut, as Ensign Merry, USS Haynes

Running time 98 minutes

sos
March 8, 2011
From the golden era of American war movies, The Enemy Below is a well written battle of wits between two naval captains. One (Robert Mitchum), above the waves and the other (Curt Jurgens) below. Enlightening military tactics and a few unexpected allied casualties add realism to the otherwise fairly tame 'cat and mouse' story. A typical happy ending ties the film up quite nicely after Mitchum's rather emotionless portrayal of an emotionally scarred captain wins the day.
½ February 5, 2011
Klasika u okvirima ratnog filma nam donosi mozda i prvi podmornicki triler u istoriji kinematografije, sniman u skromnim mogucnostima tehnologije, ali ne bez uzbudjenja i ne bez nezaobilazne sladunjave Holivudizacije post-ratovske Amerike na kraju. Za ljubitelje ratnih filmova.
November 3, 2010
VERY NICE MOVIE, I HAD 3 SPEAKING PARTS IN THIS MOVIE!!
½ October 16, 2010
Decent war movie that was highly influential upon the original Star Trek.
Rostron2
½ October 12, 2010
One of the better films made about submarine and anti-submarine warfare, The Enemy Below takes a unique dual view of the action. It's basically a duel between an escort vessel and the U-Boat that they are hunting, a scenario that's been used in other films like it. While it suffers from the obviously propagandist nature of World War 2 films, it's better than most when it comes to the human non-political nature of this kind of warfare. Curt Jurgens plays his German opponent with his usual grim-faced vigor.

The depiction of the action is pretty good by the standards of the day, although the plot is somewhat predictable. The destroyer escort depicted is accurate as to class, and actual crew of a real US destroyer escort were extras in the film. The U-Boat set is less impressive, and fails to capture the cramped nature of the small German boats in the Atlantic. Das Boot still remains the best of this genre, but Enemy Below is pretty competent as to tactics and devices used. Based on a book by a former British Navy officer, the whole scenario closely resembles similar ram-and-sink incidents in the North Atlantic convoy actions.

Robert Mitchum played a number of naval officers during his long and varied career, but this is one of his better gutsy performances.
September 8, 2010
THE ENEMY BELOW (1957)
½ August 8, 2010
Allowing for its age, this still holds up well, despite the blatant preachiness in parts. Good, tense, suspenseful stuff.