Engelen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Engelen Reviews

½ July 10, 2011
Var helt grusomt tragiskt. Slet meg igjennom den, så ikke helt vitsen i å sitte å se på dette. Men helhetlig så var det jo en bra film.
May 2, 2011
Have I ever watched another Norwegian movie before this? I'm not sure. But if I judge solely from this movie, I'd love to watch more.

The story is fairly simple, and rather common. A mix of Daisy Diamond and Submarino. it's still just as good as those two movies, and just as moving. It's so quiet and beautifully unintense you almost hold your breath so you won't disturb it. The harsh reality it portrays is presented with no embellishments.

It could have been better, and more memorable. And it could have offered the topic from a different, new angle. It's a safe movie in a way, too afraid to step outside its comfort zone. But it still remains an oddly good film.
April 19, 2011
This is a layered and pretty well executed movie based upon an unfinished documentary. And the fact that it's made by a documentary filmmaker is unfortunately imminent through relatively constant voice-over. Despite this, and the fact that I have a personal disliking for the leading lady (Maria Bonnevie), the film is worth a watch. A lot of great photography, music, and a punchline that will punch a small hole in your heart.
½ April 9, 2011
Sad, beautiful and low-key. A complex mother-daughter relationship and what can happen to children who grow up without stability. Maria Bonnevie and Gunilla Röör are great. I love the absence of dialogue in some scenes and how the pictures talk themselves and lets you imagine what's going on. I liked this movie alot.
December 30, 2010
The life of a heroin addict. Sad, direct and meaningful movie that will move you. There is something with the clipping and the documentary-view that I did not like, but its working just fine. Bonnevie is lovely and delivers a great portrait. A very good non-documentary debut from Margreth Olin that may change your view of heroin addicts for the rest of your life.
December 27, 2010
Lea (Maria Bonnevie) is just a little girl when her father passes away. Soon after her father´s burial, her mother (Gunilla Röör) invites her ex-boyfriend Ole (Antti Reini) into their home. At first sight Ole seems to be the right replacement of her father, but the relationship between Ole and her mother becomes a drunken violent warzone with Lea in the middle. The years pass and Lea gets older, and finally she meets Henrik, with whom she gets her own child, Sonja. Eventually the environment around her becomes so unbearable that she seeks comfort in a substance abuse, to escape from all the bad things in her life..

Margreth Olin´s initial documentary of her friend Pia ended up as "Engelen" instead, her first movie. This is a very strong and full on movie that touches you deep down. I love Margreth Olin´s beautiful, personal and minimalistic visual language. She makes you feel close to the characters with a lot of closeups. I reckon she created a very open and safe environment for the actors to be able to portray the characters. The misery Lea has to go through from an early age is very tough to watch. All involved is doing a very very good job, exspecially Maria Bonnevie. She gives all what she got in her performance and I believe this is her best achievement so far. From the heartwrenching opening to the rough end. A movie to reflect over from all sorts of angles.
December 20, 2010
a disturbing yet compelling film, this is norwegian runner up for best foreign language at this years academy awards, it's a little slow at first (though the very first frames are shoking) but later on it's like a car accident you don't wanna look but you just have to.

It's the downwards spiral portrait of a drug addict trying to clean up and regain some control in her life, at the same time it takes you back to see how she ended up like that, though it doesn't blame all of it in one simple thing, wich i found very real, issues this deep aren't just one turn in life...

The acting it's good, also it's the directing, very raw visuals, yet a little too much resemblance to documentary... the final part of the score it's great.

It's a good movie!, though i'm still campaigning for my personal favorite so far in this category for the season: the argentina runner up "Carancho", check my review on that one too!
December 2, 2010
A simple short but very deep moving norwegian movie, but yet to strong.
September 27, 2010
Strong and emotionally movie.
August 4, 2010
Ein av dei tristare filmane eg har sitt på ei stund. Velspelt, og an suge deg inn. Men mangle likavel et eller aent, uten at eg komme heilt på ka det e. Uansett, bra film.
½ April 10, 2010
Great, silent, serious. Both the film, by Margreth Olin, and the acting, by Maria Bonnevie. The importance of being seen and appreciated by your parent.
January 31, 2010
Like a kick in the gut... Terrible... Wonderful...
November 9, 2009
Lena Endre is NOT in this film. The role is played by Gunilla Röör.
November 8, 2009
Sterk kost! Umulig å ikke bli berørt av denne.
½ October 22, 2009
Drama av M.Olin, med Maria Bonnevie i hovedrollen som narkotikamisbruker. Vi tas med gjennom hovedpersonens oppvekst og ser hvordan det KAN går om en forsømmer barna sine i oppvekst og livet forøvrig. Vakkert skildret, men sterk kost.
½ October 8, 2009
hva skal man si? helt grei, kunne ha vært så mye bedre med tanke på tematikken i filmen, den traff hvertfall ikke meg.