Englar alheimsins (Angels of the Universe) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Englar alheimsins (Angels of the Universe) Reviews

March 4, 2016
Páll is an artistic and poetic man that are deeply in love. The relationships fails and he goes mad. The doctor says that his headaches are heartaches and he seem to suffer a bit from both - he is broken hearted but his crazyness hide it well.

Great acting by Ingvar Eggert Sigurðsson that has featured many Icelandic favorites of mine lately. The plot is deep but slightly humorus. Naturally it can be connected with "One Flew Over Cocoo's Nest". There are no good guys or badguys here, but there are plenty of great dialogue and monologue. Never overdone but sadly I was never too interested here. More my fault than the movie's probably, but even if I missed out on some smaller parts and some of the chatting I felt I got a pretty good hang of it.

Not very artsy, but not your standard film either. Sigur Rós deliver a smashing soundtrack, that's need a mention! Nice film about mental issues, love and life in general - a bit pretentious and less original than I would prefer but this is still solid stuff. The Óli-character, portrayed by the growing name Baltasar Kormákur, is looking a lot like Colin Farrel. Funny.

6.5 out of 10 cigars.
½ June 11, 2013
An interesting Icelandic drama about the mental breakdown of a young artist following a break up with his girlfriend, the characterisations, soundtrack and performances are all great here but the narrative isn't perhaps quite as satisfying as it could have been. i found it followed a quite delineated and predictable path but other than that it's a fine film.
May 5, 2012
One of the most beautiful films of all time. The composer should have won the Nobel prize.
September 29, 2011
One of the best Icelandic film ever made. Powerful story, brilliant performances from each actor, story is well written and believeable and this is one movie I'll never forget.
January 10, 2010
Look after your angels. Absolutely great soundtrack.
½ September 19, 2009
Often compared to the "One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest", but this one is not that strong. This one will hook you, if you struggled yourself recently. "One Flew" is much more general.
November 3, 2008
Really insightful without belaboring a point (such as patients vs staff), poetic words and visuals that allow one to experience the descent into madness.
½ October 4, 2008
great movie with a realistic description of schizophrenia,
½ July 4, 2008
I'm not giving this film a good rating just because it's Icelandic =)
Ingvart Eggert Sigurðsson is a brilliant actor and Friðrík �ór Friðríksson is one of the best directors the world has ever seen. This film is realistic (well, it's a true story), the music is great and the dialogue is unique and beautiful.
½ July 2, 2008
Definately the most unique depiction of mental instability I've ever seen. The dialogue is intensely powerful and extremely poetic throughout most of the film which I think works completely to it's advantage. I've been trying to find this film for over a year and now I can finally say that it was worth the wait.
May 27, 2008
Dapurleg og þunglyndisleg..eins og �sland
April 28, 2008
Lífið er eins og vikudagarnir....í þessu lífi er sunnudagur.
½ April 23, 2008
beautiful, and i love sigur ros, so that helps
March 31, 2008
Utterly depressing and yet magical, with moments of inspirational poetics. All underscored by a beautifully lilting soundtrack by Sigur Rós.
March 11, 2008
The most beautiful shots of an emotionally turmoiled young man who was rejected by love and starts dwindling down into madness at a infamous mental institution. From start to finish you can see how the mind unravels, and at one point swallow him whole and spit him out. Kudos to the writers, actors and directors. Great film.
March 9, 2008
If anyone knows how to get a copy of this in English then let me know - or please can I borrow it?
March 6, 2008
One of my Icelandic fave films ;) Typical Icelandic film!
March 2, 2008
Me alegra que me la hayan recomendado. Me entristece pensar como la sociedad trata a quienes mas ayuda necesitan. Aspectos tecnicos mas relevantes: la musica y la fotografia.
February 23, 2008
good feeling ... but screenplay wasn't that smart
liked the drums though...
sigur ros helped