The Englishman Who Went up a Hill But Came Down A Mountain Reviews

• Mar 09, 2021

It's not Oscar material but good Friday night entertainment. worth watching even of just from history point of view. Kenneth Griffith's acting alone is a treat.

• Apr 07, 2020

The Englishman Who Went up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain, is a long title with a great overall premise. However, I found that the dialogue and most of the characters fell flat making the movie fail. The story is about an Englishman who is going around the country surveying land masses to calculate mountains for the king's map. When he comes to a small Welsh village claiming that they have the first mountain in Wales, he calculates that it is only a hill. In response, all of the villagers pile dirt on the hill to make it a mountain. It's a moving premise, but really, that's all it has going for it. The acting is mostly stale and the romantic sub-plot is incredibly unnecessary and dull. At first, I thought it was just the Welsh accent, but no, this is genuinely bad acting. But that can't take away from the sometimes funny story to it all. Overall, there really isn't much to say about this one. It's kind of dull, but if you're looking for an inspirational film (Which, in these times, we all king of are) you will be somewhat pleased, but overall, generally disappointed. I'll give this movie a 5.5/10.

• Mar 29, 2020

Charming Sometimes a simple film is so much better than a blockbuster. I totally recommend this

• Jan 11, 2020

A surprise of a film that has wholesome humor and British charm that combines into a amazing film. Plus, the true story it's based on is just so cool

• Dec 17, 2019

Very quirky British movie filled with very quirky charactors and very British humor. If you don't find these characters and jokes funny you should really stick to slapstick!

• Jul 27, 2018

I liked the idea behind the movie, but it turned out very one-dimensional. I didn't feel like I really learned anything new about the characters as the film progressed. The scenery was fantastic. The irrational behavior of the townspeople portrays the Welsh in a negative light. An incredibly long title, but little substance.

• Aug 20, 2017

Best thing Hugh Grant ever did. Colm Meany STEALS this one with 1 of his best performances.

• Jul 01, 2017

This movie was long and boring. I normally like Hugh Grant movies but this wasn't worth the time.

• Jan 07, 2017

A sweet movie with a deep message.

A sweet movie with a deep message.

• Jun 01, 2015

Hugh Grant can forget that he made this film and so can you . It is a cute story that could be made into a 20 minute short. The Welsh country side is beautiful and the idea of the story is sweet. After that, the movie goes no farther up the hill and doesn't become a mountain.