Entre nos (Between Us) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Entre nos (Between Us) Reviews

March 21, 2015
A very heart-felt and authentic film made even more authentic by the fact that it's based on a true story. As far as biopics go, this film seems to take the genre to another level, as the creator and main actress tells the story of her family's most tumultuous period beginning just two weeks after coming to Queens, NY from Columbia. The ending credits tell it best so I won't spoil it, but what I will say is that one of the film's best qualities is the raw expression of the dance between suffering and hope, failure and success. With each win no matter how small there was always the potential for great loss always gnawing at this family. The mother's love and commitment to her children was the glue that kept them together through some immensely trying times.

If nothing else, the film is a testament to the enduring power of family love and a courageous spirit.
February 16, 2015
I found this pretty boring and slow and I didn't care too much
January 5, 2015
Muy buena pelicula Colombiana!
½ July 24, 2014
Powerfull message. Tremendous human spirit.
½ December 7, 2013
Powerful little film. One that hits close to home.
September 19, 2013
A bittersweet movie.
August 11, 2013
Excellent Spanish film. Superb acting. Great plot. Must watch. Subtitles. About a woman whose husband runs out on her and her kids. People can relate to this. Emotional, interesting.
July 14, 2012
Captivating and at times heartbreaking, but the resolution left much to be desired. Casting and acting were excellent. Paola Mendoza captured the essence of her mother's struggle exquisitely.
½ May 1, 2012
This was a great movie about survival, and I'd recommend it to anyone that wants to watch a heart-wrenching film for a good cry. I'd even recommend it to anyone that thinks that immigration is some life of luxury, in order to see an alternative point of view.
½ March 30, 2012
Emotionally powerful acting lead this small film to tough the hearts of the audience, through the eyes of struggling immigrant Americans.
February 6, 2012
Always like movies if they based on true events and are well done. Watched a few good ones on Netflix lately.
½ January 24, 2012
A Colombian woman and her two kids are abandoned by her husband in New York city. They are forced to live on the streets and do what ever they can to make money. Touching drama.
January 14, 2012
Found this to be very well made. Not quite on par with Sin Nombre or Ramin Bahrani's two New York films (Chop Shop, Man Push Cart), with which comparisons can be drawn, but well worth the 80 minute runtime on Netflix streaming.
½ November 24, 2011
This movie had some impressive performances, a gripping story-line, and a surprisingly accurate depiction of the family dynamics of the Latino immigrant culture. But, above all, this movie was realistic and heartbreaking. And that's what made it a winner.
October 29, 2011
Excellent motion picture and ensure you watch the final credits to discover who wrote and directed the film..it will surprise you! Based on a true story, this movie serves to remind us that we can rise from the ashes and no matter how depressing and hopeless our lives can be, we can overcome just about anything. A family from Colombia moves to New York looking for a better life. The husband grows tired of his family and decides to leave them, heading to Miami FL. So the mother (Mariana) who doesn't speak English and her two small children (a boy and a girl) are left to fend for themselves. They are evicted from their tiny apartment, she has no relatives or friends to help her, so they have to figure out how to survive in a harsh, tough environment. Its a pity that Mariana was unaware that help was available for homeless people in the city...as the saying goes "knowledge is power" but they were abandoned by their husband after barely living in NY for two weeks. Folks, I highly recommend this movie which is available for instant streaming via Netflix..WATCH IT!!
October 15, 2011
There have not been many films out there that actually try to capture the struggles of illegal immigrants in the USA. Good thing that netflix exists because I found an incredible drama that perfectly portrays it called Entre Nos (Between us).

The film follows a family of four which consists of Mariana (Paola Mendoza) and her two kids and her husband Antonio (Andres Munar) He's the kind of man who can never stay still in one place and always have to move to somewhere else. They have moved constantly in there native country and then finally to the United States. One day he tells her that he's found a new job in Miami and that he is headed down there. He says to her that once he gets settled that he will send for her. She reluctantly lets him go leaving her alone with the kids without her having a job. One day she discovers that he doesn't want her to come or even the kids, leaving her abandon. As well as to make matters worse there are illegal.

The movie is an unforgiving look into the life of immigrants who fall in hard times. It also shows how messed up the system that our government employs to solve these issues, while the movie is not political. You can feel the air of tension of her getting caught and then getting her kids taken away and being deported. I love the acting in the film especially of Mendoza she is great. Her performance as the mother is excellent. She has this knack in the entire film where no matter how things are going she still stays strong in front of her kids. She does falter and there are scenes that make you believe that she will break, but she calmly picks her self up. The child actors are great as well.

The film was directed by herself Paola Mendoza herself with a co director. It's based on true life experiences (The movie is dedicated to her mother which the movie is based on) and she knows how to sidestep clichés and melodrama into more serious tones.

Entre nos might feel bleak at times but life is like that sometimes, it does not care about your plans. Mendoza perfectly infuses a bleak future with simple ending of hope.

4/4
½ August 28, 2011
Inspired by a true story,Entre Nos is an uplifting,tender,and very moving film about what a mother does during an unthinkable situation. Paola Mendoza does an amazing double job as the director of the film,and also in the role of the mother,giving a heart-tugging and inspiring perfomance. She make this film in honor of her mother,who she plays in the film,a loving and grateful gift to her mom. One of Michael Moore's 20 "Best Pictures" of 2009. A remarkable independent film from a very talented lady!
August 18, 2011
Amazing heartbreaking story of a Colombian woman and two kids abandoned by the father in New York. Evicted and living on the streets, hard work and perseverance give them the strength to turn the ordeal into a valuable life experience. Based on a true story, this film was made by the daughter of the woman who inspired it as a tribute to her mother for the sacrifices she made to give her children a better future.
½ July 28, 2011
Story about a mother and her two kids in USA after her coward husband leaves.