Epic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Epic Reviews

April 27, 2016
Loved the plot, the music, everything about this movie.
April 27, 2016
Good animation and a diverse cast of interesting characters. However, I feel the dialogue fails in certain aspects and the story-line was only so-so...only the side characters made me laugh a bit.
April 4, 2016
Great animation, enjoyable characters, fun, but used premise, but still recommendable.
March 25, 2016
Although not being from one of the big animation studios, Epic is still a pretty good film. Contains a lot of great voice talent but unfortunately doesn't pay off a lot of the time. Overall it's an okay film and I enjoyed it for the most part.
March 5, 2016
If you want to waste and hour and a half on unmemorable characters and a weird story, this is the movie for you. It's cute overall, with good animation and a talented voice cast but it doesn't live up to its title.
February 20, 2016
Graphics were beautiful, however the story & overall feel was too reminiscent of Ferngully
February 20, 2016
Tivig tvgtditdvgthdhher
February 3, 2016
A charming enough animation that's close to fairytale territory.
½ January 25, 2016
Epic has a mediocre cast and a decent story to tell, but the animation is beautiful and stunning to look at, and that is what the film needs to entertain.
½ January 23, 2016
Aside from the animation...meh.
Positives: The animation.
Negatives: Feeling that you already watched this movie because it resembles others.
½ January 3, 2016
After looking forward to seeing both "Epic" by Blue Sky Studios and "Frozen" by Disney, I saw both of them this weekend.

The main character of "Epic" looks like a twin of the main character of "Frozen". Also, one movie deals with cold vs warm and the other deals with decay vs growth. Finally, both movies rely a lot on beautiful nature shots. For these reasons, I felt I should review both together.

"Frozen" was much better than I expected. Frozen reminded me a lot of traditional Disney classics like Snow White, Dumbo or Bambi. Yes there was singing, but the singing was surprisingly traditional without sounding corny and outdated. Unlike in most cartoons that involve singing, in "Frozen" it enhanced the experience rather than being a turn-off.

"Frozen" also had a rather well-developed story. It wasn't a traditional good-vs-evil story where the good were perfect and the bad haven't got a single redeeming quality. It also wasn't yet another generic "we must remain ourselves and fight tradition" story like Mulan, Brave and so many others out there. The characters felt more real than I'm used to in a Disney flick and combined with some humor that actually works, that makes "Frozen" one of the most entertaining animations I've seen in a long time.

"Epic" was an "epic failure" in all of these area. The characters were bland and generic. The story was bland and generic and felt like they mixed "Arthur and the Minimoys", "Antz" and "Ferngully" together, then filtered until nothing interesting was left.

The humor didn't work either. As silly as the talking snowman in "Frozen" may look, he actually did work as a comic relief. His actions were funny, his words were funny and he complemented the heroes of the movie well. In "Epic", a snail and a slug served the very same purpose, only they were annoying as h***. Think Jar Jar Bing annoying and worse.

The only thing that works in "Epic" are its visuals. If I just wanted to look at pretty pictures, both "Frozen" and "Epic" would be equally beautiful. The problem is that a movie is more than pretty pictures. A movie is entertainment and needs to entertain. While "Frozen" was much better than I expected, "Epic" was much worse.
½ December 30, 2015
This film offers everything one might want or expect in an animated eco little-people themed movie. Funny, touching, beautiful with a good flow. I wish they did a sequel...
December 29, 2015
Pretty good, but not as good as rio. It has the style of animation but I didn't feel it as much in this blue sky film.
½ December 13, 2015
What a gorgeous movie!!. I was mesmerized and captivated by the incredible artwork and graphics. The animation was flawless and the story was adventurous, The celebrity voices were perfectly cast. Loved this movie!
½ November 27, 2015
This movie was anything but epic.
November 20, 2015
Beautifully rendered and well voiced, "Epic" unfortunately labours under a somewhat distracted narrative that really proves to be not much more that a bunch of spectacular set pieces woven together in to a fairly basic fairy tale.
½ November 14, 2015
The semi-entertaining family flick does have derivative similarities and typical Blue Sky elements, but it does offer epical stuff and typical charms on the beautiful animation, with the characters voiced by an appealing cast. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
½ November 8, 2015
I loved the movie ,but I did not like how the bovine dress in dead animal things.
November 4, 2015
I like this one a lot, Beyonce honestly makes it a tad better than it would be without her in it. If they had another voice for the Queen you know, can't beat the Queen B
October 26, 2015
Nice message to convey to the younger generation - and it's a nice wake up call to the older ones.
Great 'voice' by Beyoncé, Amanda, Pitbull, Colin Farrell, Steven Tyler and Chris O'dowd