Ernest in the Army - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ernest in the Army Reviews

September 8, 2009
I've seen just about all the Ernest movies, and I have to say that "Ernest In The Army" is definitely the funniest one that I've seen so far. Ernest gets enrolled in the army without going through boot camp, he's supposed to just be a driver and one that just hangs around in the Army, but it turns out that he has to take a part in a battle and he goes on a rescue mission. Just about all of Ernest's (Jim Varney) antics in this movie are hilarious, such as the hospital incident and when Ernest tries to cook pancakes with some unusual ingredients. This is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.
If you like some of the other Ernest movies or if you like hilarious comedies, I definitely recommend getting "Ernest In The Army." Ernest really shows that he was meant to be in the army when it comes to comedy. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. Sad that Jim Varney's dead now and has been for awhile. This was the best Ernest movie of them all to me!
½ June 13, 2009
Its not the best Ernest film ever made.
March 28, 2009
It looked like this one was filmed after Jim Varney had died of lung cancer... bad....dum....ching!
February 10, 2009
Another dud of an Ernest movie. Forlorn. I remember the older movies and hold them in high esteem. The last two or three were not up to Ernest standard.
January 12, 2009
I saw this almost a decade ago and was pleasantly surprised by it. I'd seen several Ernest movies before it, but found this to be the best and funniest one. Yes, even better than the theatrical ones such as "Ernest Scared Stupid" and "Ernest Saves Christmas." I'd have to see it again now to see if my opinion remains the same though...I'd love to have that opportunity.
January 1, 2009
I don't think I've ever actually seen this. If I did then I forgot this one. I'd definitely like to watch it though. Ernest rules!
½ December 5, 2008
The Rocky 5 of Ernest movies. Unfunny and often offensive. I only laughed 8 or 9 times. An all-time low. Varney does what he can to hold it together and manages to make it tolerable.
November 29, 2008
Made me cry when the little boy found his lip peels
½ November 15, 2008
I'm a huge Ernest fan. I loved all of his old commercials, and Ernest Saves Christmas, Goes to Jail, and Scared Stupid are among my all-time favorite comedy movies.

His other ones though, such as this one, are just generic 'Ernest' movies with stereotypical cardboard characters and barely-there feel-good plot. However the one thing you can count on if nothing else, is classic Ernest humor. While this one didn't have as much, or as funny, stuff in it as most of his others, it had enough chuckles and one or two laugh-out-loud moments to keep me entertained enough for its runtime. Still, probably the worst of the series I think.
½ July 5, 2008
If only I could get back the hour and 45 minutes I wasted with this movie. shame there's no "zero" stars rating.
June 28, 2008
Surprisingly good among Ernest's direct to video releases, though not nearly as good as his theatrical stuff.
June 11, 2008
lol! pretty good movie... but so Ernest! a little slow but dry funny!
May 15, 2008
Ernest Movies use to be delightfull and funny. This Man was really funny.
May 7, 2008
Jim Varney rules... Gummy Bear thing is funny and did i mention Jim Varney rules.
April 14, 2008
in my opinnnion it time 4 jim varney 2 go and this film re-affirmed that!!! wat a lemon of a ernest film!!!
April 12, 2008
A Really Good Comedy Film About Joining The Army.
½ March 21, 2008
This movie is ok. Nothing that spectacular though.
March 8, 2008
the last ernest movie ever is a rough ride but varney's charm as ernest pulls it up a notch ...
only for fans of the series
i love the lawrence of arabia bit
March 4, 2008
I love the part when Ernest has so many gummy worms and they get stuck on the sergant lol hahaha!!
March 2, 2008