Ernest in the Army - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ernest in the Army Reviews

April 23, 2015
There are some funny moments (mostly when Ernest imagines himself as an Army sergeant or, in my favorite sequence, as Lawrence of Arabia), but the last film in the "Ernest" series is by all means the least. It's a shame though, since Jim Varney passed away 2 years after this film's completion. He was a talented man, a Disney legend, and contributed a character loved by some, hated by others, but remembered by all, to popular culture. He made a mark in his short 50 years on Earth. We'll never see another one like him. KnowhutImean, Vern?
November 23, 2014
In Ernest's final adventure he takes off to be all that he can be in Ernest in the Army. Looking for a change Ernest P. Worrell joins the Army Reserve, but shortly thereafter his unit is sent to the Middle East to stop a mad tyrant who's developed a pluton bomb. Varney is clearly phoning in his performance, and no one else seems to be putting forth much effort either. And there are very few laughs to be had (if any), as the comedy falls flat. Incredibly dull and monotonous, Ernest in the Army is one of the worst films in the series.
½ March 26, 2014
This is sometimes funny, but a terrible entry in this series.
July 17, 2013
I liked only two or three of the Ernest movies. One of them I'm not too sure about. But I guess there is a point where this crap just has to stop and Hollywood just needs to move on. And Hollywood did not acknowledge that point and they decided to repeat the living crap out of a franchise
that made me laugh hysterically in only two movies. This one made me laugh but not hysterically. But more often than not it just wasn't funny.
April 1, 2013
The earlier Ernest movies could actually pass for "real" movies but this one obviously went straight to video. It has a couple of funny moments, but this movie is significantly cheesier than "...Goes to Jail" or "...Saves Christmas." It just feels fake and I never cared about what was happening, just hoping for another Ernest slapstick moment. The ending narration is really corny and the movie as a whole just does not deliver like the classic Ernest movies. Maybe it's because Chuck and Bobby (a.k.a. those two hilarious guys from all of the Ernest movies) were missing, but something about "Ernest in the Army" makes it seem like it missed basic movie training.
October 31, 2012
God help us, another Ernest flick.
January 2, 2012
I find this movie insulting!
½ August 27, 2011
You just have to be in the right mood for some of these. I love Jim Varney for kids and everything but some of his movies are too advanced for kids and too dim for adults.
½ June 7, 2011
I hope that 'Ernest' dies.
bug761
February 26, 2011
I'm just a big Ernest fan. A select few people that I've noticed have hoped that 'Ernest' dies or something else bad and I don't want to be in their shoes. Saying those things is downright pathetic and low. I love all the Ernest movies. I watch them because Jim Varney is the star. Would I watch them if he wasn't on them? Probably not. Varney lends a warmth and a child-like innocence that no one else will ever duplicate. He was genuine and caring. I can't help but be drawn to him. This was the last Ernest movie. Varney passed away just before finishing 'Ernest the Pirate". I wish they could find a way to finish it so I could see it. I don't watch "Ernest in the Army" as much as 'Ernest Goes to Camp", "Ernest Goes to Jail", "Ernest Saves Christmas", "Ernest Greatest Hits I and II", "Hey Vern! It's Ernest" or "Hey Vern! It's my famliy album". I can understand why Jim had once said that he wanted to shift from the Ernest character to something more dramatic. Maybe Cherry and Carden tried too hard to suck the life right out of Ernest. Maybe they needed a fresh mind to write more Ernest movies. I would've loved to have done that. Sadly, that will never happen since Varney passed away in 2000. This movie gets 5/5 because I just love Varney.
October 14, 2010
This film was really funny. While this isn't the best Ernest film, it's still really good and a nice one for them to end on. The visual gags were hilarious and Jim Varney, as usual, was brilliant as Ernest. This was the last Ernest film before Jim Varney's death, and I found this film to be a decent final Ernest film, but it was nothing phenomenal.
½ October 9, 2010
Ernest goes to Karifistan.
½ August 27, 2010
Eh, not a movie that kept my attention. Ended up turning it off after about 25 minutes.
May 22, 2010
This is the worst and least funny of all the Ernest films... and sadly the last time we see Jim Varney as the great Ernest P. Worrell. It's basically a boring war movie with Ernest in it. It's full of pointless government scenes and isn't funny at all. It's too bad Jim Varney passed away. I believe he could have made a big comeback with a new theatrical Ernest movie in 2010.
½ May 20, 2010
One of my favorite memories of my childhood is watching the "Ernest" movies with my dad.
½ May 20, 2010
Not one of the better Ernest movies, but I always enjoy Jim Varney, I just think he's funny. Some fun ny gags, but Varney has more misses than usual in this one. Harmless fun.
½ November 10, 2009
I think this one was one of the funnyest!
September 8, 2009
I've seen just about all the Ernest movies, and I have to say that "Ernest In The Army" is definitely the funniest one that I've seen so far. Ernest gets enrolled in the army without going through boot camp, he's supposed to just be a driver and one that just hangs around in the Army, but it turns out that he has to take a part in a battle and he goes on a rescue mission. Just about all of Ernest's (Jim Varney) antics in this movie are hilarious, such as the hospital incident and when Ernest tries to cook pancakes with some unusual ingredients. This is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.
If you like some of the other Ernest movies or if you like hilarious comedies, I definitely recommend getting "Ernest In The Army." Ernest really shows that he was meant to be in the army when it comes to comedy. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. Sad that Jim Varney's dead now and has been for awhile. This was the best Ernest movie of them all to me!
½ June 13, 2009
Its not the best Ernest film ever made.