Ernest Goes to Camp - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ernest Goes to Camp Reviews

May 8, 2017
If you have ever watched the TV show starring Jim Varney's alter ego, Ernest P. Worrell, then you know exactly what to expect from this movie. The overall story of a bumbling handyman turned camp counsellor incidentally getting the land the camp is on sold to a mining company is different and this film actually takes its time getting to each point. The underlying story of a group of delinquent children getting an opportunity that they may not normally have received outside a governor's initiative, this story for me was the reason I truly enjoyed this movie. Any Ernest movie is going to campy and bizarre with truly funny moments pertaining mainly to how clumsy he is and how he is always trying to do what he believes is the right thing. This movie also has a secondary story with the delinquents is that true rehabilitation does work as long as those being rehabbed feel appreciated for what they are doing (the tepee) and have that one person who truly believes in them (Ernest). Overall, this is a goofy movie to watch, the kind of 80 minute movie you turn your brain off and simply enjoy.
February 6, 2017
An enjoyable comedy classic. How can you not love Ernest? (First viewing - Childhood)
May 7, 2016
Jim Varney brings his "Ernest" character to the big screen in this slapstick comedy. Ernest is a summer camp custodian hoping to save the camp from evil developers.
½ April 26, 2016
So gotdang ridiculous! Pretty tame for today's cynical comedy standards, but still a good bit of nostalgic fun.
April 7, 2016
Expectedly goofy and funny, Ernest Goes To Camp is an underrated summer camp comedy that provides plenty of laughs for audiences of all ages due to the enjoyable physical comedy from Jim Varney.
October 20, 2015
I loved these movies as a kid but sadly time hasn't been kind to this film. The jokes are very flat but Ernest is well cast and gives everything. From that perspective the film does very well.
August 11, 2015
One of the better Ernest films.
½ August 11, 2015
I love every moment of it, and think that it's timeless!
½ July 10, 2015
I haven't seen it in ages. The quintessential camp movie?
½ June 14, 2015
ernest p worrell 's first film in the series has a lot of dumb but funny moments.
½ April 23, 2015
Wow...I had no idea one of my childhood heroes was such a polarizing figure in the film world. We all know Ernest P. Worrell. Those that love him are diehard, those that hate him really REALLY hate him, like he'd done something to one of their loved ones. I've never seen a character whom the people love and the critics revile so passionately. I stand up for Ernest and his movies. Yes they're dumb. Yes they're cheesy. But they don't make fun of anyone but Ernest. Take your Larry the Cable Guy movies (please take them, get them the hell away from me) where he employs 50% bathroom humor and 50% offending everybody and everything. Compared to that chump, Ernest is good clean harmless fun. Longwinded introduction aside, this is probably the best Ernest movie featuring kids. The kids aren't all annoying and unlikable as some of the kids in the next few Ernest films. And Jim Varney takes the opportunity to prove he's more than just a "KnowWhutIMean" and a silly face: his rendition of "Gee I'm Glad It's Raining" just breaks my heart every time! So I will continue to stand up for this man who entertained me in my childhood years because he was good, distinctly American yet universal, funny but not filthy, friendly, good natured and more worthwhile than people give him credit for. KnowwhutImean, Vern?
½ April 8, 2015
Either you like this franchise or you don't.I do and this is the best of the bunch.
½ March 11, 2015
Intentionally silly and the cast seemed to have fun making this film. I believe this is the best Ernest movie out there (not that the others are bad either). This can pretty much be seen as an entertaining family movie and feels good.
November 23, 2014
Classic silly nonsense that I LOVED as a kid! Such nostalgia!
½ July 8, 2014
When Ernest Goes to Camp hilarity ensues, knowhutImean? Jim Varney brings his trademark character to the big screen in this fun, wacky adventure. After putting his time in as a maintenance man at Kamp Kikakee Ernest P. Worrell gets a shot at being a camp counselor for a group of juvenile delinquents that no one else wants. The story's pretty formulaic and cliched, yet this kind of works as it gives a sense of familiarity and lets the audience know what to expect. And, Varney's charming and charismatic performance adds a lot of heart to the film. Ernest Goes to Camp is full of laughs, but some of the comedy is overly silly and juvenile.
May 29, 2014
Not sure why I love this so much....wait a cotton pickin minute....
May 11, 2014
my all time favorite movie actors ever eeeeveeerrr
½ March 26, 2014
Much like the others, it'll please children and maybe some adults, but is great for fans of the series.