Ernest Goes to Jail - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ernest Goes to Jail Reviews

May 7, 2016
Ernest is going to jury duty only to be switched with a prisoner who looks like Ernest. Ernest must now find a way to escape and clear his name.
½ October 23, 2015
from the terrible credit setup, you just know this Ernest addition is in trouble. This is the worst Ernest film, the jokes are terrible and Ernest isn't even funny. The guards wearing hot pink jackets? WTF is going on in this film? The innocent Ernest is put through gag after gag but not one of them is funny. A huge disappointment after the first two, you can really tell that preproduction was clearly wasted here.
September 16, 2015
Definitely the most "grown up" of the Ernest movies. I mean, they put him in the electric chair, for crying out loud! Plus there are what the ratings board might refer to as "suggestive themes" throughout the film as portrayed in Ernest's relationship with his lady friend. Not to mention an (offscreen) death being a key factor in the plot. So, anyway, keep this one away from the kids, because it certainly doesn't seem like it was made for them.
August 11, 2015
If this is the one where he goes on jury duty, the only funny thing about this is when the pen explodes in his mouth. Other than that, I can't remember much about this one.
½ August 11, 2015
Eh, it's still okay.
May 14, 2015
Security guards Chuck (Gailard Sartain) and Bobby (Bill Byrge) play a game of Red light/Green light while being night watchmen for Howard County Bank and Trust and are obsessed with elaborate schemes of would-be thieves. They hear a sound coming from a floor polisher that Ernest is trying to turn on for operation - he works as a night custodian at the bank - and dreams that he would be a clerk. He becomes magnetic from a mishap with the floor polisher and makes a disastrous mess. The next day, bank president Oscar Pendlesmythe's assistant, Charlotte Sparrow (Barbara Tyson) insists that he clean up his mess. Pendlesmythe wants to terminate Ernest's employment, but Charlotte has a soft heart for misfits and stray dogs, so she argues on his behalf. Ernest takes a bath at home in a tumble dry washing machine and uses a blow dryer with a windtunnel force for his evening dinner with Charlotte in a restaurant. He later receives a jury duty summons and excitedly tells the two watchmen about it. During the trial Dracup Maximum Security Prison convict Rubin Bartlett notices that death row inmate Felix Nash is a dead ringer for Ernest. Rubin's lawyer convinces the jury to tour the prison, where Ernest is abducted by Nash and another inmate named Lyle and forced to switch places with Nash. Even though he tries to tell the guards he is not Nash, they refuse to believe him. Ernest also does not know that he has a death sentence which is for Nash.

While having lunch, a guard tells them to stand up and be quiet, when he notices Ernest is making a lot of noise, which almost sends him into the cell. Ernest tries a first attempt to tell one of the prison guards that he is Ernest, not Nash, but the guard calls him "Mr. Funny Man" (which is a mistaken lie) and angrily says that he is not funny and is lying and throws him into the cell right in front of Lyle who pushes him back while the first attempt fails. When he pushes him near the prison bars, he tells a prison guard that he was beaten up (and accidentally slamming the guard's head on the bars). A prison guard tells Ernest that he will be sent to the hole, which makes Ernest realize he is in jail. Bartlett tells him that Nash has assumed his identity and warns him to keep his mouth shut. Ernest makes several unsuccessful escape attempts (endearing himself to Lyle in the process), and is soon sent to the electric chair by the prison warden (Charles Napier).

The electrocution fails, and Ernest is transformed into a type of superhuman, with the ability to shoot lightning bolts from his hands. He successfully escapes the prison by blasting a hole in the main gates. Making his way home, he discovers that his Pee-wee Herman-like dà (C)cor has been replaced by a slick Lounge Lizard style of decorating. He exclaims, "I've been vandalized - by Elvis!" Meanwhile, Nash is preparing to blast open the bank's vault with a time bomb, with Charlotte and an unconscious Chuck bound nearby. Charlotte begs Nash not to go through with it, and he blurts the truth about being an impostor. Charlotte doesn't believe it until he points out he's done a far better job cleaning the floors than Ernest ever had. Ernest arrives and he and Nash do battle. Ernest gets electrocuted yet again when Nash throws him against an electric cage that the bank had rigged to drop from the ceiling to catch robbers. Now Ernest has become polarized and gained the ability to fly. He uses his super powers to fly through the skylight of the bank with the bomb which leads to a spectacular mid-air explosion. Everyone especially Chuck thinks that Ernest has been killed, until he falls through the skylight and lands on Nash, which leads the warden and the guards to find out Ernest was right all along. Ernest tiredly declares, "I came, I saw, I got blowed up" and then passes out.

In an alternate ending, Ernest later receives the promotion to bank clerk, and Charlotte promises to assist him in his new position. But Ernest receives yet another shock that has no effect on the immediate metal objects around him, but draws a file cabinet from across the hall...
½ March 25, 2015
I'm a fan of the Ernest character and franchise and still this movie is only so so.
½ March 11, 2015
Probably my second favorite Ernest film after the very first one (Ernest Goes To Camp). Jim Varney's talented acting proves beyond the wacky Ernest character as he also plays a completely different type of character in this one!
November 23, 2014
While I think Jim Varney, if he were still alive, would have made an excellent villain, this movie was the lowest of the Ernest slapstick movies that I have seen. Were there moments that were funny? Maybe a couple. It was part of a three pack I bought.
November 16, 2014
Arguably the best Ernest movie and great for kids. It's got some laughs and a decent performance, but its not Hamlet, so don't expect greatness.
½ August 16, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
July 12, 2014
The comedic adventures of Ernest P. Worrell continue as Ernest Goes to Jail. When Ernest pulls jury duty a convict named Nash manages to switch places with him and leaves Ernest in prison on death row. Jim Varney pulls double duty as both Ernest and Nash, showing some impressive ranch as an actor. And there are some good supporting performances by Barbara Bush, Charles Napier, and Gailard Sartain. The comedy is also fairly well-written, with plenty of cornball antics and slapstick gags. Ernest Goes to Jail is another solid installment in the franchise, and delivers plenty of laughs.
May 9, 2014
I came, I saw, I got blowed up!
April 6, 2014
I just like Ernest P Worrell, reminds me of happy childhood times
½ March 26, 2014
Probably the best of them, being funny, mostly talented actors/actresses, and, despite an unoriginal plot, will please even the most boring moviegoers (or non-moviegoers)!
December 22, 2013
Could have been worse..
September 6, 2013
Ernest Goes to Jail is neither as funny nor heartfelt as Ernest Goes to Camp, but the movie still works perfectly well as a silly little diversion that's meant to be nothing more than that.
August 16, 2013
I think you just have to be a genuine fan of this kind of humor to enjoy Ernest movies. With that in mind, I'm glad I am.
½ July 10, 2013
Bizzare and corny, not funny. I found it more annoying than anything, with poor acting, sad attempts at humour, and a face-palm story.