Ernest Goes to School - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ernest Goes to School Reviews

October 27, 2015
much better than Ernest Rides Again, that really saying much though. The franchise didn't suffer after the direct to video switch, considering the debacle of Ernest goes to jail. The film was never going to win awards for its storytelling or acting but Varney is likable as ever.
September 16, 2015
It pains me to do this, but I am forced to give this film no stars. I've made it no secret on here that I am a fan of Ernest P. Worrell and the late Jim Varney who played him and I'm all for more people appreciating him and his talents and the iconic, universal character he created. (I can back all of that up.) But this film is simply NOT FUNNY. Even the worst Ernest productions (and they seemed to get progressively worse after the franchise was banished to the DTV wasteland) had a few laughs. From Ernest. From one of the other characters he played. From his friends Chuck and Bobby. There WERE laughs. There are none here. There's nothing of entertainment value here at all. Sure, Jim tries hard, like he always did, but comedy simply cannot exist in a vacuum. Don't go out of your way to see this one. You're not missing out on anything.
½ November 22, 2014
Yet another lame and uninspired goofball comedy, Ernest Goes to School is cliched and trite. Now working as a high school janitor, Ernest P. Worrell faces his greatest challenge when, in order to keep his job, he goes back to school to get his dilemma. Bill Byrge returns to the series as Bobby, which is a nice surprise and helps to add some continuity. But Ernest has ceased to be a character and has devolved into a generic, mindless buffoon. And, the comedy lacks any cleverness or wit. Yet it doesn't compare to how hideously awful the acting is. Ernest Goes to School is yet another step down for the series, and marks its transition to straight-to-video.
½ August 16, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
February 5, 2013
its funny to watch and he play a good character
½ January 22, 2013
Ernest becomes a genius, but this movie could use a few more IQ points. Not too funny, nor entertaining.
January 4, 2012
realy want to see this
August 28, 2011
Yeah, a mentally handicapped school.
April 2, 2011
Varney is great, this movie is not.
bug761
March 12, 2011
It's a Jim Varney 'Ernest' film. Of course, I loved it!! Jim played one of those characters I just love to hate: 'Astor Clement'. But Varney did an excellent job pulling off this hoity-toity, know-it-all character. Ernest is a janitor at Chickasaw Falls High School. The requirement for all employees is that they must be a high school graduate, which Ernest is not. With the help of two scientists played by Bill Byrge and Linda Kash, Ernest gets a brain boost and is suddenly smart in every subject but, unfortunately, he becomes a snooty jerk because of it. 'Astor' begins to alienate his friends and faculty with his holier than thou attitude. When a couple of football players discover what Ernest has been up to, they go in and destroy the brain boosting machine and now Ernest must study like everyone else to pass the test. When he finds out the machine is fixed right before the test, he decides not to use it and do it on his own. He figured out he had it in him all along. He did feel like he let everyone down when he became good old Ernest again and ended up wrecking the half time show by setting things on fire by saying, "I'm sorry I'm me.", which is something he should've never been sorry for. I loved this movie. It shows that with honest, hard work, you can accomplish your goals. In the end, Ernest saves the day. C'mon, it's an 'Ernest' movie. Of course, the underdog is the hero. My school years would've been a lot more fun if Ernest was the janitor. R.I.P. Varney.
½ October 14, 2010
Yeah, this is one of my least favorite of the Ernest films. It really started with potential until I could feel my IQ dropping when I realized the climax, "Ernest is going to be super smart." Not exactly my idea for a hilarious climax. The movie just didn't entertain me as much as the other Ernest films.
½ October 11, 2010
Who shot Abraham Lincoln? Some guy with a gun. Klingons. The Penguin.
August 4, 2010
If you have seen one Ernest movie, you pretty much have seen them all. As much I hate to rag on Jim Varney, it's the truth: most plots to Ernest's movies, including this one, are too formulaic for anyone to invest that much interest in watching them.
½ May 23, 2010
The title says it all. It's an average Ernest film, but still an Ernest film which is pretty fun.
May 3, 2010
You like Kate Beckinsale but you wont tell your wife??????
March 14, 2010
One of my favorite memories of my childhood is watching the "Ernest" movies with my dad.
March 6, 2010
I have to watch this because Sarah Chalke is in it.
February 7, 2010