Ernest Rides Again - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ernest Rides Again Reviews

½ April 14, 2017
Fun kids movie. I had a good time with it when I was young, and still got a couple laughs out of it now. One of the better of the series.
October 25, 2015
Story is super thin and only a handful of jokes are funny. It's a shame the character was so poorly written as Varney was really great in the lead role. Much like Peter Sellers the formula for the films grew tiring for the audience. Not the bomb Ernest goes to prison was but not far behind it.
September 16, 2015
At this point, the ungrateful public was no longer going to see Ernest in theaters, so his filmography up unto his death consists mainly of direct-to-video releases. This is the first. Kids will be bored by the historical mumbo jumbo that serves as a key element to understanding the plot. In fact, this whole production seems to be one note short of a symphony. There are some honest laughs. (Well, it made me laugh, anyway, I can't speak for everyone else. Then again, I am an advocate for Jim Varney and the Ernest character to be placed in a higher echelon of comedic admiration. He certainly deserves it more than Adam Sandler!) But this is one of the most wildly uneven of the Ernest films, none of which were meant to be great cinema, but this one seems especially forced and hurried. Non-essential viewing.
April 8, 2015
You got to know when to call it quits on a franchise.
October 3, 2014
Everyone's favorite handyman, Ernest P. Worrell, continues his misadventures in Ernest Rides Again. When an unorthodox college professor advances an unconventional theory about the Revolutionary War, Ernest attempts to help him out by finding a fabled colonial cannon called Goliath. The production values are quite poor and the performances aren't much better. Still, the film delivers a few laughs (intentional and otherwise), and there's some excitement to the pursuit of the cannon. Mildly entertaining, Ernest Rides Again is alright for kids (but there's not much here for anyone else).
½ August 11, 2014
(First and only viewing - 10/6/2008)
June 3, 2014
It's only fair enough.
But, I can almost see it from the past on TV (1996-1997)!
½ June 28, 2013
Too stupid to really be funny. Gets slightly better as it goes, if you can call it better! Varney's antics are becoming old hat and a little boring and tiresome.
January 22, 2013
Except for the title song, there's little to like about this low, low budget outing.
½ October 28, 2012
As for Ernest movies, not one of his best. Having a 45 minute giant cannon chase scene is a little much. Best part of the movie is the opening credits. That song is really catchy. I still love me some Ernest though.

2008 Movies 144
January 8, 2012
I admit it is not the best Earnest movie, but it is not the worst either. As with all of the Earnest series, this is a funny goofy, and stupidly fun movie. I enjoyed it if you like Earnest P Worell, as much as I do, then you will like this one too. It is the fifth movie in series and we do not see much that we have not already seen but a memorable runaway cannon scene and the classic Earnest humor keeps it enjoyable.
bug761
September 1, 2011
Move over Indiana Jones. Here comes Ernest P. Worrell, our underdog hero. Let me start out by saying this: 'Critics-Schmitics'. Don't let the nay saying critics and reviewers dissuade you from picking up this classic movie. No disrespect, but they obviously don't have a humorous bone in their bodies and don't know how to remove the stick from their butts. I love the Ernest genre and can be biased about Jim Varney but even if I didn't like some of the other Ernest movies, this is a true gem. Listen to me and listen to the critic, Luke Y. Thompson. This was very well written and very well acted and consistent. The opening song is wonderful and describes Ernest to a T. You've got a 5 ton historical cannon named, "Goliath", lots of gun fire, a healthy dose of slapstick by the master himself, Varney, who voices a plethora of characters in top notch form. You have Dr. Abner Melon(Ron James and the 'Vern' of the movie), a meek history professor who is uptight, but thanks to Ernest, learns to loosen up and enjoy an adventure. There is Nan Melon(Linda Kash), Abner's annoying, and overbearing wife and two pesky salesman that finish each other's sentences with perfect timing. Tom Butler(Dr. Radnor T. Glencliff), who has played in various Lifetime movies as a lawyer and all around 'good guy', has the villainous role in this one and is great. He will stop at nothing, even to the point of killing Ernest to get at 'Goliath' and the crown jewels. Comedy ensues as Ernest is the one to find 'Goliath' and takes it for a wild ride everywhere a cannon should not be going. Varney and James play well off each other and this movie couldn't have been cast any better. But unlike some of the other Ernest movies, Ernest seems to have a higher intellect in this one while still being that lovable hayseed we all know.
Even if you're not a big fan of the Ernest genre, I urge you to give this one a chance and form your own opinions because, unlike the reviews of some critics, this movie definitely has merit. Not only did Varney bring back slapstick, he did it even better and was/is still one of the best at this brand of humor. As with all Ernest movies, this is free of vulgarity and filth but still a great ride, 'KnoWhutImean?'
½ February 27, 2011
Absolute Crap. The movie that literally killed Jim Varney's movie career as the dumb Ernest. The 2nd worst film I've ever seen. Jim started the character as a clever clumsy redneck, but this is the bottom of the barrel for bad picks. After 17 years since watching this, I have finally found a film that makes this secondary to the "Worst" Film.
½ October 9, 2010
Indiana Worrell and Cleopatra's Crystal Skull.
½ July 12, 2010
Low budget, outlandish plot, same old Ernest.
May 23, 2010
This is one of my favorite Ernest films! It's simple and original compared to the other over-the-top films in the series. True, an odd idea, Ernest rides a medieval cannon, but funny and simple.
½ May 9, 2010
Another funny Ernest Movies one of my favourites with lot of Slapstick and Stunts it's a Hommage on Buster Keaton's The General
½ December 27, 2009
The Canadian Ernest movie, and one that bombed so badly at the box office that it wound up being the final one to make it to theatres (in a few rare markets). On the other hand, you get to see Ron James helping Ernest out, and it's worth the price of rental for that alone!
½ December 27, 2009
"Ernest Rides Again" has to much of a simple story to be dragging on for more than 90 minutes. Jim Varney is again funny in this film, but it's more physical comedy than anything in this film. Even though the story was simple, the writers did put in some obstacles along the way that helped the film out.

This film is probably not one that fans of Jim Varney think of immediately when they think of the great actors career, but it is a unique feature that has a more different feel to it than in his other films.

The film still lacked that certain moment that brings it to a whole new category as far as films go. I also seemed to notice that it seemed as if director John R. Cherry III changed his style a little bit in this film. There were a whole lot more close-ups where I didn't find it necessary to do so, I also thought that the camera seemed a bit shaky in some moments as well.
October 22, 2009