Ernest Saves Christmas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ernest Saves Christmas Reviews

½ January 16, 2017
This is not a great movie in any way but it is silly and fun with decent replay value! Decent, 2.5/5 OR 5/10
½ January 7, 2017
Meh. Kind of stupid.
December 30, 2016
Jim Varney is just great as usual and this movie is good, I mean it succeeds at what it sets out to do. I really enjoyed it. Its a dumb but funny comedy. Harmless.
December 21, 2016
One of the better Ernest movies, it's sincere feel really works in its favour and the guy who plays Santa is largely responsible for that. He's an absolute gem. In fact the casting department didn't put a foot wrong here in all of their choices. The gags and silliness mostly work well and the script 'aint half bad at all. A Guilty, childish, cartoonish pleasure.
December 3, 2016
Are you going to guys kidding me giving it 38% on rotten tomatoes. I am a guy in his 40s and watched this movie every Xmas. The acting alone deserves Oscars for everybody.

Ernest character is genius and best performances ever on big screen in regards to acting and acting in different characters.

This movie deserves way higher rating.
½ December 2, 2016
Ah yes...one of the many movies that I seem to end up watching at least once every Christmas. It's just as goofy as all the other Ernest flicks, but it has good heart in it as well. Yeah, this movie is aimed at kids, so lots of adults think it's stupid. I am not one of those particular adults though. This movie always speaks to the kid in me, and my own son enjoys watching it as well.
September 22, 2016
It's completely stupid, but that's part of what makes it so watchable.
January 28, 2016
A light, stupid, funny, silly holiday movie that had heart. A bit of a classic and Christmas tradition in my family. Guilty pleasure.
½ January 14, 2016
I'll admit, it could just be the nostalgia talking, but this is one of the most charming Christmas movies I've seen in years. I know it's stupid, I know it's juvenile, but I can't help but get swept up in its charm. All these years later, Ernest still makes me laugh. I can more than understand why some would find him annoying, but damn it all he cracks me up. His rubberface and childish antics still make get major laughs out of me. It's slapstick through and through, but hey, it still works. I also liked how the film doesn't really have a villain. There's a conflict sure, and there's a few jerks encountered along the way, but there's no grand baddie trying to stop them, and it makes the movie a cute little breeze of a film. It also has one of the best film Santa's ever, a man so sweet and lovable that even adults may start to believe.
In the end, the movie's just too damn cute to resist. Silly? Sure. Stupid? Probably. But I laughed often and I laughed hard, and when I wasn't laughing I was still charmed by the unrelenting Christmas spirit. This is definitely a movie I can see joining the ranks of Elf and It's a Wonderful Life as movies I revisit every December.
½ December 26, 2015
The story of a misguided meth-head, with an inexplicable talent for impersonations, who teams up with bratty runaway and a deranged old man to cause lots of property damage, sink an entire movie studio, confuse a sad and lonely man, and even seemingly kill a couple people. Oh, and I guess they save Christmas somewhere in there too?
½ December 25, 2015
Reviewing this as a kid, I'd probably give it four and a half or even five stars. As an adult, ehh... I know it's on the sillier side of the Christmas movie spectrum(it is an Ernest movie afterall) so you have to forgive a lot of the wacky shenanigans that happen here. Nostalgia factor included, I put it in between a four and a half rating and the mess that is Master of Disguise, the worst comedy of all time, so... average it is.
December 25, 2015
these Ernest movies are guilty pleasures.
½ December 23, 2015
Strangely enough, Ernest is my least favorite main character in this movie. He was slightly annoying at times, but there were moments he had a certain charm. But what I really loved about this movie was the supporting cast. The old and new Santas and Pam made this story truly heartwarming. Truth be told, this movie could have done without Ernest.
½ December 23, 2015
Way better than I expected. I don't know why I avoided this one for so long. I love Ernest. I guess I just lumped it in with his bad movies for some reason. But it's good.
½ December 22, 2015
I remember watching most, if not all, of the Ernest films as a child. It wasn't as much a formative part of my childhood as, say, the Naked Gun trilogy was, but it's not like I'm completely unfamiliar with this franchise. This, to me, reminds me of a low-brow version of the Pink Panther films from the 60s and 70s with Peter Sellers, I don't count Trail of the Pink Panther, released in 82, because Peter Sellers' scenes were comprised of deleted scenes from other films in the franchise. I'm not trying to suggest that Jim Varney and Peter Sellers are even in the same stratosphere as far as comedic performances went, Peter blew Jim out of the water on almost every level, but it's similar in that Jim Varney, essentially, played the same character for decades and nothing, if anything, rarely changed about any of the films. Maybe the locations and some of the story elements, but it all boiled down to Ernest being a child-like fool getting into increasingly absurd hi-jinks. There's a familiarity from one Ernest film to the next, much like in the Pink Panther. The one difference being that, to me, every Pink Panther film I saw was really enjoyable. This movie, eh, didn't really do much for me in terms of performance or comedy. Here's the thing about Jim Varney, when he ventured outside the Ernest character and actually did some more serious stuff, the guy wasn't bad at all. It's not that Ernest himself is a terrible character, there's a certain innocence about him that could've been endearing, but there's parts where the guy is just insufferable. Varney did a decent job at portraying the character, but I wouldn't say that he was the most gifted comedic actor on earth. Yes, he disguised himself as different people, and he did an adequate job as these different characters, but I wouldn't say that he made me laugh. And maybe it's not even his fault, but I'm pretty sure that Varney himself had a lot of input in shaping this character, if not a great percentage of it. So part of it has to be blamed on him, the rest of the story, however, can and probably should be blamed on someone else. The story is every bland and dull Christmas movie you've ever seen, except with the Ernest touch. And Ernest is either a love him or hate him type of character, there's no real in-between. Ernest films have never been known for their technical prowess, so it's even more of a step down from that end. The casting for this isn't particularly inspired. I'm not saying the cast doesn't try hard, but I don't think they do a good job at editing together performances for anyone to stand out. There's also a lot of filler, like everything with the storage agents and the reindeer. It doesn't really serve any real purpose but to pad the running time, which isn't that long to begin with. There's nothing wrong with releasing a movie that's shorter than normal, at least you're keeping the pacing in mind. These segments with the reindeer really just kill the pacing and they're not particularly funny save for maybe one or two chuckles. While this is a harmless movie in and of itself, I can't really imagine that many kids will actually enjoy this. It's weird, this film clearly isn't geared towards an adult audience, but it's not exactly geared towards kids either. It's stuck in limbo, because while it is a harmless family movie, that doesn't necessarily make it a good one either. This is kind of a disaster in a lot of levels. You can't expect high-brow humor with this kind of character, but there's no reason it couldn't have been, at least, a reasonably entertaining film. It fails at getting you in a Christmas-y mood, if that's what you're looking for, and that's really the ultimate sin for one of these types of films. I don't wanna say it fails at everything, but it's a bad film on many levels. Again, I never loved Ernest, even as a kid, but it goes to show you that your memory can play tricks on you. Anyone who may have loved this film in their youth shouldn't come back to it in their adulthood. I think they will be sorely disappointed. Isn't it sad that this is among the 'better' reviewed films in the Ernest franchise. Think about that.
December 16, 2015
After all these years, this film still holds up. One of the better Ernest movies.
December 12, 2015
May the force be with you!

Santa arrives in sunny Florida looking to recruit his long term replacement so he can retire. The man he wants to offer the position to is an actor and his agent won't let Santa talk to him. Meanwhile, a strange taxi driver helps Santa get where he needs to go without interrupting Christmas...even if that means delivering the presents for him.

"It's not who you know, it's what you know."

John Cherry III, director of Ernest Goes to Jail, Ernest Scared Stupid, Ernest Rides Again, Ernest in the Army, Ernest Goes to Africa, and Pirates on the Plain, delivers Ernest Saves Christmas. The storyline for this picture is entertaining and fun to watch unfold for what it is. The comedic content is inconsistent but the acting is fun. The cast includes Jim Varney, Douglas Seale, Oliver Clark, Noelle Parker, Billie Bird, and Gailard Sartain.

"Alien goats."

I came across this on Netflix and have always been a fan of the Ernest films since I was a kid. My daughter and I watched it together the other night and I was shocked she watched it from beginning to end. This is far from a classic holiday film, but it is a funny film to watch with your children.

"What we have here is a failure to accumulate."

Grade: C+
½ December 7, 2015
Fun and lighthearted goofiness that goes with any Ernest film, but this is by far the best of his films. A great family film for young and old to enjoy over the holiday season!
November 29, 2015
I can't believe I saw this in the theatre! And people were hysterically laughing?