The Errand Boy Reviews

• Oct 28, 2015

Genius scene with jazz music, made the move

Genius scene with jazz music, made the move

• Oct 09, 2014

"The Nutty Professor" is Jerry's masterpiece, but this small comedy of his is one I like nearly as much. I think it's the Hollywood studio backlot setting that appeals to me, but there are also some really funny and clever bits that work awfully well. The bit in the elevator (the toothpick especially), Jerry at the board room table by himself, Jerry photo bombing a movie scene, peeking over extras shoulders, but especially one sequence involving Jerry and puppets, which to my mind really sums up Jerry's Kid character and whether the character will click with audience members or not. If the audience can be captivated by Jerry's innocent, childlike captivations with puppets he believes are alive, then you will "get" Jerry's sentimental comedic sensibility. If you find it unbelievably annoying, that is completely understandable, but it works for me and this is one of my favorite Lewis films. Brian Donlevy, Howard McNear and Kathleen Freeman co-star.

• Aug 07, 2014

I just loved this Jerry Lewis film, in which he's hired, simply because he's considered an idiot that nobody knows, to find out why a film studio is losing money. Mayhem, as only Jerry Lewis can make it, rapidly ensues. I love this comedian/director, and wish he had made a lot more films.

• Nov 04, 2013

Trying to r3reate the "success" he had in The Bellboy, Lewis flops with this film. A couple of amusing scenes but overall it just doesn't work.

• Sep 03, 2013

One of Jerry Lewis' best! It actually has some funny moments in the movie. It's one of those movies you watch for entertainment value.

• Dec 13, 2012

and don't slam the door (walks out door slams) argh haha

and don't slam the door (walks out door slams) argh haha

• Oct 16, 2012

Watched it for class. Really annoying main character. Overall, movie is unfunny.

• Oct 04, 2012

One of the few outstanding films that Jerry Lewis made without Frank Tashlin at the helm. This one is a real gem.

• Sep 28, 2011

Basically just a series of sketches, Lewis is at the top of his game, here, and most of the scenarios he finds himself in are very funny; watching him bumble his way through a studio lot offers ample opportunities for sight gags, riffs, vaudeville-esque bits, and even some satire on the movie business. Not an amazing piece of cinema (or even an amazing comedy), but I was certainly entertained.