Escaflowne: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Escaflowne: The Movie Reviews

½ February 28, 2015
Skip it. Watch the series instead.
June 1, 2014
This time, i have to say, i prefer the movie adaptation than the original series. Liked the art and character design (and the characters' personality). The only pitfall is that it is too condensed... Its plot is better off to be a trilogy.
½ May 20, 2014
I wish I could recommend this. There is some genuinely cool stuff in here: good action, some nice animation, and a damn good orchestral score with some well-used choir insertions throughout. I also enjoyed a lot of the dubbed voice acting, though a little bit of it was kind of lackluster. Unfortunately, the characters are fairly one-dimensional (especially the lead protagonist Hitomi) and the story, while promising at first, is extremely anticlimactic and convenient by the end. It's okay, but I probably will just go watch the series its based on as opposed to ever watching this again.
½ July 24, 2013
An anime fantasy thrill ride that is as brutal as it is elegant. From the truly impressive battles, to the beauty of the visual presentation, this one pleases the eye in the truest sense. Some western critics may not get it, but it's a great fantasy film for those who actually bother to see the film for it's true essence.
January 22, 2013
not as good as the show. although giving Folken magic powers was cool.
½ November 15, 2012
In a nut shell its the Japanese television show compress into a movie. a fine job they did.
August 22, 2012
Very good. Not the best. But very good.
July 29, 2012
Though visually spectacular, unfortunately the story seems too compressed compared to the anime series.
½ May 29, 2012
This movie is definitely better if you've seen the anime series, as you'll "get" the characters a little more quickly, but it's still quite fun to watch on its own. It's very much eye candy.. Oh, and if you *have* watched the anime? The movie is kind of..a loose 'retelling' of the anime's storyline, just fyi. ;)
January 24, 2012
The best thing that made the plot of 'Escaflowne - The Movie' exciting is the action. It's like mecha (robots) in a magical fantasy world!
March 8, 2011
It has great action sequences, and wonderful a wonderful design, But Escaflowne is too long and in some places, stretched out and boring.
February 22, 2011
Loved the ending to the OVA but still enjoyed the film, although Folken killed in the way he was just didn't do it for me...
February 5, 2011
I am not very familiar with the series, but I know this movie is a retelling of it...and having watched just a couple of episodes of the show...it fails, miserably in comparison to just those episodes alone.
½ February 4, 2011
Definitely a lot darker and bloodier than the series. Story-wise I would say it's a lot stronger too, the series gets REALLY contradictory towards the end. The motivations in the movie just made a lot more sense. Plus it was prettier. Plus no stupid love triangle.
½ November 28, 2010
This earns 2.5 stars SOLELY for the gorgeous animation and music. Solely. The similarly gorgeous plot and characters from the series, however, are sadly absent. The movie version of this once unique fantasy epic is a huge downgrade to standard depressing and needlessly confusing anime movie fare.
August 22, 2010
This movie is an acquired taste since it's a shorter, more cryptic version of the series, Vision of Escaflowne. The character designs have changed somewhat for the movie adaptation. Everyone takes on an older, and in some cases more sinister appearance. The icing on this cake is the music; all of it is full of so much excitement and deep-seeded passion. The main storyline remains the same and universal; a high school girl looking for more than the mundane, and that's what keeps this movie from completely alienating everyone.
July 11, 2010
the animation was superb, but the story wasn't as impressive as the series. Still a fan, though.
July 1, 2010
Escaflowne - The Movie is based on the original twenty-six-episode anime series. The story is far from being a duplicate of original, although the key elements are the same.

Unfortunately, the movie seems to depend very much on the viewer being familiar with the original characters. I suspect newcomers will be confused by the introduction of some characters for no apparent purpose and by scenes whose significance is difficult to discern without familiarity with the original Escaflowne. I imagine some will find this thought provoking, and will enjoy attempting to make sense of the movie. Most, I suspect, will simply dismiss it as a badly-written movie.

Luckily, the movie is capable of bringing a nostalgic tear to the eye of an Escaflowne fan. This is due partly to the way in which it reacquaints one with altered but familiar characters, and partly to the way in which the story builds up to a moving ending. Consequently, for this alone, I have grudgingly given it five stars...
½ March 7, 2010
I enjoyed this movie equally to the series because the movie gives a more realistic outlook to what would happen if an emotionally disturbed teenage girl got transported to a mythological world (Gaia). The series had more character development, but ended sloppily and had awkward out-of-character moments. The movie was more consistant and had an artful valor.