Escaflowne: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Escaflowne: The Movie Reviews

March 6, 2010
I'm not sure what to make of this mess. On the one hand, it wants to pay tribute to the tv series. It keeps most of the same characters and story elements. On the other hand, it wants to tell a 12 hour story in 90 minutes, so it cuts corners and reinvents things on the fly. Some of it works, most of it doesn't. In a lot of way, it ended feeling like Evangelion, with it's abstract cut aways, and flashbacks and flash forwards. Don't get me wrong though, there is some really cool stuff here: the animation is stellar, the score and music is unbelievable (I already bought a copy), and in many ways it's like watching your favorite show injected with a bigger, better budget. But I missed the heart found in the series. The love here seems forced and there aren't really any truthful moments to get swept away in here. In the end, I was pretty disappointed.
½ February 25, 2010
This was an interesting film, although it took several watches for it to actually sink in a bit...even though it is a good film in its own right, I still prefer the actual series and it makes for a better 26 episode series...there's just too much to the story.

Note: One of the best anime music scores...EVER!
February 8, 2010
aunque de prioridad a la serie, y me pueda llamar como un fan de esta; escaflowne la película está muy bien elaborada para contar una serie de 24 capítulos de 20 min cada uno en una película de 90 minutos, la animación; distinta a la de la serie, se encuentra muy bien elaborada y el guion toma puntos de giro mas interesantes que los de la serie...
February 1, 2010
Escaflowne is the re-telling of the television series, "The Vision of Escaflowne". A depressed high school student named Hitomi wishes to just fade away and is magically sucked into a world called Gaea where they called her their Wing Goddess. Multiple forces are struggling against each other there for control of powerful dragon armor that the Wing Goddess is supposed to control so they have to try and win her favor as she has the power to save them or destroy their world entirely.
Some of the rag-tag band she befriends includes a kitty-cat girl with a somewhat annoying voice and Van, the last of his kind that can wield a special power that runs in his genes.

What I liked most about this movie were the action sequences, fighting over Hitomi and getting to see the dragon armor being used. When a person enters the armor, they have to give blood for it to work so they are pierced all over their body and blood drains from them. For me, I thought that was a pretty powerful way to make the inhabitants sacrifice something before they go running off with a suit that can bring about so much destruction. Having a high price to pay means not just anyone would jump in it.

Hitomi is clearly depressed throughout and I'm not sure if she ever really overcame that. She said enough nice things to keep Van motivated and alive when he was hurt but I have this feeling that if she goes home to her own world, her outlook will not have changed.

There was pretty music, the plot was occasionally confusing. I never felt emotionally involved or connected to any characters. Only when they were fighting did there seem to be something worth cheering for. It was ok for one watching, but not close to the best I've seen.
August 6, 2009
Easy to like if you have seen the series (which I have). It's made so that the people that have seen or heard nothing about this world will have a fun ride as well. One of the better movie made after anime series.
½ July 16, 2009
Years ago, when I first started seriously getting into film, I rented "Escaflowne", an adaptation of an anime series I never saw. However, due to my getting accustomed to late night viewings, like I usually did I fell asleep through half the movie. My memories of it weren't too great, but I decided to pick it up from Netflix for a full, fair trial.

The movie does not get to a good start. Opening with some babble on an airship, with unappealing character designs all the way through, deadly warrior Van breaks in and kills everyone in sight in an accurate representation of the film's battle sequences: incomprehensible, migraine-inducing, and erratic moving camera format. I'm not quite willing to call it "shakycam" even though that's exactly what it is.

Cut to the human world, Earth. Depressed schoolgirl Hitomi is on the balcony and her best friend is seeing what she claims to be a poorly-written suicide note. Last night I saw another notoriously bloody Japanese film, the live-action "Suicide Club", which should be indicator enough of how much I cared about Hitomi from the start of the film. She proclaims she's "too cowardly" to do it, and she walks around town until a very shady, evil figure declares she's some sort of goddess and raises water from the ground to submerge her completely.

Waking up on the other side, she is in Gaea, or more specifically, inside the "Dragon Armor", which is basically the giant robot archetype in organic denial. Don't get your hopes up; it takes a very long time before you see it in action, and it's just like the opening battle. Erratic and incomprehensible.

Basically in Gaea everyone is convinced Hitomi is some sort of goddess, which she, of course, does not believe. Although it does attempt to have some heart when Hitomi finally understands the value of her own life as she's taken with Van's own suffering (Van also being unhappy with being alive... getting the picture of how gloomy this flick would be if it wasn't so lifeless?).

You know your animated film is in trouble when your machines have to power from their pilots' blood and spray it from their valves, or some evil character has to employ magic to split someone's horse in half... complete with entrails. Enjoy these moments; the laughably excessive gore is of the few smile-inducing moments.

On the other end, with far too little screentime is the only bit of humor the deadly serious "Escaflowne" movie will allow, a sort of cat/human hybrid Merle. Watching her tail puff makes all her scenes enjoyable.

Oh yes, I did mention how the evil people and all the war in Gaea has made the bipedal forest creatures cautious and angry? Unlike "Princess Mononoke", the voice actors make no attempt to distinguish the animal voices from that of humans.

But that's just a production detail. Otherwise there's nothing wrong with "Escaflowne: The Movie", other than that it sucks.
½ July 16, 2009
RATING (0 to ****): *

But that's just a production detail, something you'd linger over if the production in question actually made you give a shit.

MPAA: PG-13 (strong animated violence)
Runtime: 1 hour, 38 minutes (92 minutes of "real movie")
½ July 15, 2009
Van es mi novio jiji
½ June 18, 2009
I have to agree with everyone else, and my friend whom got me into the series herself. xD The series had a better plot and a better understand then this movie. I'm glad that she made me watch the series before the movie, then i would so be lost!!! It's a shame this movie went down hill to the series. The only thing i give credit for is the style, animation, and design!!
½ May 21, 2009
Liked this one, definitely a step above the usual mech movies bullshit
½ May 21, 2009
Liked this one, definitely a step above the usual mech movies bullshit.
May 16, 2009
a part la bande son, je trouve que le film est mal fait.
May 16, 2009
its...my favorite anime
½ May 2, 2009
the series had a better developement and understanding of the plot. if i hadnt watched the series this would have been fairly confusing.
April 14, 2009
the series is way better than this movie. definetly start there and work your way to the film.
½ April 13, 2009
The movies loses a lot in translation, which is a shame because the series had a lot of good points that have been missed entirely.
Attempting to make a more adult orientated release merely means you can expect more blood and guts in the fight scenes, the characters have mostly been changed entirely and I'm struggling to see the point in this adaption at all.
Still, the animation is amazing and the story is still alright, probably not one for purists.
March 19, 2009
This is definitely a chick Anime. The series was pretty good when I watched it back in high school, and the movie is alright. I think I enjoy it so much because I did enjoy back when I was younger and it's somewhat nostalgic.
½ February 24, 2009
Not quite as good as the animated tv series of the same name but good in it's own rights.
January 19, 2009
Para los que hemos seguido la serie de 26 episodios, el ver esta película posiblemente sea algo raro. Desde luego es diferente a la serie. Mucho más cuidada en los detalles, con escenas realmente preparadas para ser espectaculares en la pelicula (ese ataque inical a la nave de Dragon Negro) es espectacular...

Pero a la hora de la historia, aparte de contar con una sensación de ser más dura, adulta (algo bueno), lo que también te encuentras es con mayor contencion a la hora de contar la historia y dejar la espectacularidad en las escenas claves.... Hay menos peleas, pero las que hay son más espectaculares... la trama y relación entre los personajes es la que sale perdiendo. Parece como si hubiesen querido introducirles a todos. El problema es que la trama no da para ello, y muchos quedan forzados en la misma, ya que incluso esta se ha simplificado (lo cual es algo bueno)...

La parte que mejor queda es que ahora las razones de Hitomi llegar a Gaea ahora son claras, asi como sus sentimientos por Van. Mientras que en la serie, no terminaba de quedar claro, y de dar más bandazos que una veleta entre los protagonistas masculinos principales.

Uno de los aspectos más dificiles, por su aspecto inexplicado, es el final... el de las series daba una sensación de resolucion clara, especialmente al personaje de Hitomi, que regresaba a su mundo real pero con una clara sensacion de evolucion y crecimiento. En este caso, el final es mágico, y realmente puede ser dificil para algunas personas... aunque el resultado es perfecto para las sensaciones de la película
December 18, 2008
Very interesting and cool graphics.