Escanaba in da Moonlight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Escanaba in da Moonlight Reviews

April 17, 2016
This sums up living in Michigan perfectly. I adore it for what it is. What it is tends to be hard to nail down exactly but it's a story of a man who has been hunting his whole life to never have a successful hunt. This may be HIS year. Watch his journey from a backless yooper to a one buck yooper, yay? An uneventful story but alas a good movie. Very entertaining.
August 17, 2014
This movie was absurd in all of the wonderful ways something can be absurd. Certainly lacked some coherent narrative, but managed to be charmingly incoherent when it was. You should watch this movie with as few expectations as possible.
August 7, 2014
I don't really get this film. Yes, part of that has to do with all the references to deer hunting culture, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and the not-quite-intelligible Yooper accent everyone speaks in. But I also don't understand why what should have been a simple plot about a luckless hunter finally bagging his buck turned into this weird acid trip of a movie, with flashing lights, "aliens"/"God"/"Bearwalk" (huh?), some weird ranger coming out of nowhere and stripping/singing for no apparent reason, and, for the climax, Reuben running out into the woods in his long johns to shoot a deer, aided by the ghost of his long-dead ancestor. (Isn't he cold? He stopped to put on a hat and gloves but not a jacket and pants?)
May 25, 2014
Decent Jeff Daniels has great start, but shaky ending.
½ February 9, 2014
FUNNY flick, Jeff Daniels wrote and directed it! IF your loved one is a hunter they will love it. Great Fathers Day gift! Enjoyable
January 4, 2014
BOOMEDY BOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!
December 31, 2013
Worst movie I have ever seen. Had no idea what the hell was going on the entire time. Weird. Not funny. Weird.
October 2, 2013
Funny movie. What happened to your Chevy Jimmer
½ July 4, 2013
I like this film. Interesting how much of himself Jeff Daniels has invested in this work. What's it about? "We have nothing to fear but fear itself." Fear is a natural thing. Maturity is learning to embrace fear and come out the other side. Reuben's "curse" is fear and you have to go through fear to remove the curse of fear. The takeaway is that unshakeable faith and the willngness to embrace the strange and the unfamiliar and to "take action against a sea of arrows," is the way through. BTW, will work for us atheists too. Oh, and love is in there somewhere... as well.
March 4, 2013
5 stars, entertaining in a very pleasant fashion, no real sort of commitment otherthan to entertain, still gained from the movie, it was fulfilling. Love the Wisconsin lingo. Love Michigan.
February 5, 2013
Yup...ders da milk taste! THEY DO THAT THEY ARE JUST LIKE THAT
December 5, 2012
this is one of the best movies iv seen in a while
½ November 19, 2012
Sort of a must-see if you're a Michigander, and it really captures the essence of hunting culture, with an extra scoop of weird.
November 4, 2012
Absolutely funny. Aliens, gods, spirits, bodily functions and outrageous characters tie this all together as one of the funniest movies you'll ever se about deer camp.
September 23, 2012
Love love love this movie especially since I'm from northern Michigan
August 20, 2012
I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its soooo funny but i cant find it anywhere!
April 26, 2012
This is quite possible my favorite comedy/movie of all time. It's something I watch every year during deer season. It's got loads of great life lessons, several laugh until just can't moments and has one of the best quotes to ever be uttered in a movie(has to do with a mans Chevy). It's on Netflix, check it out!
½ March 4, 2012
Whoever wrote this movie, sure knew the UP. "All the camp decks are euchre decks! There aint a 2, 3, or 4 within 20 miles!"
January 22, 2012
This is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.
December 26, 2011
One of the greatest deer camp movies ever made. Actually the only deer camp movie ever made. A real hoot including the space people's.