Escape from Sobibor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Escape from Sobibor Reviews

January 26, 2012
One of my favorites, the escape scene is unforgettable
December 10, 2011
Recommended by Satyrical Jeff.
½ August 12, 2011
Although lacking in the sheer horror of the events that took place, it still provides a good picture of life and escapes from an extermination camp. The dialogue is quite bad, the events take place in the wrong order and the film ends without explaining what happend to the survivors in detail. However it is still a great film about ww2 despite this.
July 19, 2011
suprised none ones reviewed this yet. too the greatest holocaust movie ever done.
½ April 28, 2011
Brilliant and true, admittedly the dialogue was corny and some events take place out of sequence, this is understandable asit was made from interviews with survivors, many of wholm would not be able to remember exact details. However it still leaves a harsh vision of exactly how evil the nazis were and the desperate situation that the prisoners were in
February 19, 2011
I'm thinking this terrible B - grade cover design is throwing many people off from seeing this film. Well - forget it. you MUST see this film!! Heart-wrenching and gutsy, it is brave and thought - stirring war drama based on a true story that will leave you breathless. Realistic, poignant, smart and very intense. A MUST SEE
December 3, 2010
ESCAPE FROM SOBIBOR (1987)
½ November 3, 2010
This is one of the most terrifying accounts of the atrocities which took place during World War II. In terms of realism it far surpasses Schindler's List, to the extent that it's quite frankly hard to sit through. But the sheer realism is also what make
s it such an important piece of filmmaking.
Plot/ Summary During WWII, the death camp at Treblinka had an escape, causing the Commandant at a similar camp in Sobibor to vow (actually threaten) that his camp would never experience the same thing. But those who were its captives, the Jewish laborers that had been spared from the ovens, knew that they were on borrowed time and that their only hope was to escape... the only question was how to do it. However, because the Germans would kill an equal number of others whenever a group attempted to escape, the captives knew that if ever an escape was tried, all 600 prisoners in the camp would have to be included... logistically precluding any ideas about tunnels or sneak breakouts. Indeed, to have such a mass escape could only mean that the Ukrainian guards and Germain officers would have to be killed, which many of the Jews felt simply reduced themselves to no better than their captors... thus making it a struggle of conscience. And therein lies the story, with the film being based on a factual account of what then happened at that Sobibor prison.
My Review
This prison that i have never hear of before reminds me of Alcatraz is so hard to escape but more then 300 jews made all because of Leon in this exciting prison movie. Yet there are better prison movies this is another one of those besties.
October 26, 2010
Crummy acting, but the story is interesting and important enough to overlook that. Fairly upsetting, as should be the case with Holocaust movies.
½ October 20, 2010
Escape From Sobibor is one big explosive moment. It's about the only successful escape from a concentration camp during the Holocaust, and everything that happens, is said or is done has a direct connection of few degrees of separation. It is two hours long, but the beginning, middle and end flow into each other so completely, the tone so consistent throughout, that we hardly do any thinking back to what happened before. Perhaps it's more a series of pay-offs than any build-up, but then maybe I'm wrong.

During October 1943, members of the camp's underground resistance succeeded in covertly killing eleven German officers and a number of Ukrainian guards. Of the 600 inmates in the camp, roughly half escaped. The escape forced the Nazis to close the death camp, dismantling it and planting a forest. And in this concise, streamlined dramatization of this episode in world-changing, paradigm-shifting war, a universal struggle for survival, it's as if all the scenes are the cells composing a body. Each one is clear-cut and specific, reaching a different purpose, but they all rally to cohesion. Transitions occur by shifting time, space, perspective, creating a streaming feeling, avoiding dull or unexciting moments, not that there are a whole lot of those in a concentration camp. The editing, invisible as it is, as editing must be, has a lot to do with the film's impact. It's cut based on time, using the visual composition of each shot, increasing and decelerating the speed of the metric cuts in relation to suspense, which is ceaseless.

Escape From Sobibor is not like other TV movies so much in the mawkishness department. It has narration, which I should say in bold print to be sure, but it's never quite redundant. It actually strengthens the movie's cohesion, further encapsulating the events, or event. And the acting is never too far over the top. It just seems that every actor, familiar or not, nobody standing out more or less than anyone else, makes their own choices, director Jack Gold letting himself basically be border patrol for them while they do what takes the most mental interest for them. Alan Arkin and Rutger Hauer are a heroic duo I probably wouldn't have thought of myself, and they're an interesting, engaging pair.
September 23, 2010
An interesting true story. But it could have been a better movie. Editing, dialogue, and acting were spotty.
½ September 19, 2010
s it such an important piece of filmmaking.
My Review
½ September 6, 2010
I watched this on a free online site. One of the best movies I've seen fo some time. A true story of 300 Jews who escaped from an extermination camp in Poland during WW2. The characters are interesting and believable/great character development. Alin Arkin is remarkable with his understated acting, compassionate humanity. Rutger Hauer is a question mark of course. Fast paced and full of humanity, full of action. In the end a great consolation as many escape into the forest and are alive today. I'm almost glad I got tonsillitis or I would have missed it!
May 27, 2010
truly an epic. its great and its not overdone like alot movies in hollywood. very realisitc, tense and great to watch.
½ April 5, 2010
One of the best WWII POW films I've seen. Edge of the seat thriller!
April 1, 2010
One of the best movies about the Holocaust. Great performances and a great movie. If this had a bigger budget and was big screen could have been a masterpiece.
½ March 23, 2010
A grandious, bounding and realistic Concentration Camp Movie based on a True Story great directed and with a great Performance of Rutger Hauer my Favourite Scene is the Killings and Escape at the End
March 23, 2010
Pretty good for a TV movie with decent performances, sometimes a little over the top but nothing as hammy as Liam Neeson's final speech in Schindler's List.