Escape from the Planet of the Apes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Escape from the Planet of the Apes Reviews

July 23, 2017
Although there is a strong 70s vibe reaching camp-levels, "Escape" is a return to the socio-political commentary roots of the original. Character-driven, funny (sometimes unintentionally) and thought-provoking.
½ July 14, 2017
The previous film had interesting ideas and an ending I wasn't expecting but it was ultimately deeply flawed however this second sequel to the original Planet of the Apes film is a much stronger effort. It doesn't start off on the strongest footing however as I don't for one moment believe the events detailed that happened parallel but off camera to the ending of the last film but it does at least allow this film to exist and the rest of the film is relatively solid. Roddy McDowall returns to join Kim Hunter who both work really well together, Jerry Goldsmith also returns to score the film which is great, the plot and script focus more on the characters and the social issues than action which makes their journey all the more engrossing as it goes from a fish out of water comedy to a finale that is both brutal and deeply emotional. So yes it is flawed in some ways (the supporting cast isn't the best for instance) but it makes up for the previous film and then some.
½ July 12, 2017
Not as compelling as the first, but definitely better than the last. Escape is a flawed, but enjoyable third entry in the POTA franchise that is sometimes both heartwarming and heartbreaking.
July 10, 2017
This movie is so fucking good. A much worthier successor to the 1968 masterpiece. It is more humorous than the previous two, but just as dark if not darker. It returns to its social commentary roots and the welcome return of Roddy McDowell, the heart of the series. The soul, belongs to Kim Hunter. The wonderful Ricardo Montalbon makes his first appearance in the series and he is just that. Wonderful! I hate and love the ending. It is far and away the best sequel in the original series.
July 8, 2017
Escape takes the focus back to Cornelius and Zira, having fun with them on Earth. But, it becomes overly cartoonish. Another addition to the franchise below the high standards of the first that never really explains how these events happened.
½ July 6, 2017
A small step-up from Beneath but not quite as outstanding as the original.
July 3, 2017
Escape is a rather abrupt turn in tone from the previous two installments. It gives us great character moments but lacks the action and thrills that the series is known for. Overall it is still a satisfying time-traveling anthropomorphic ape adventure.
½ June 2, 2017
not bad I love the commentary
May 4, 2017
I can see why the critics love Escape from the Planet of the Apes as it is rich in themes and pleasantly slow paced and more character-driven, but to me it was safer that way and less entertaining which is why I liked the previous movie more. The humor is also hit-or-miss. But the film is still very well scripted, Zira is very well utilized here and there are many great scenes such as that wonderful ending leading to a pretty satisfactory sequel in the end.
½ March 26, 2017
This is a very good movie! Because it's just about Zira and Cornelius, it's very funny. A very good third edition to the sequel!
March 17, 2017
more thrilling than ever.
February 13, 2017
It was a great general conceit to make the second sequel the inverse of the original movie, where the protagonists are trapped on the planet of human apes. While it is used to show up some of the hypocrisy of our civilisation; there's a smattering of social satire and a typically powerful ending, a lot of potential is squandered on the lightest of the Apes series. The characters of Cornelius and Zira are entertaining and endearing enough to keep the audience invested in here, but a little more undevelopment would have elevated it among the best of the franchise. Ultimately this entry in the series is more interesting for what it sets up for sequels than standing on its own merits; a situation reversed from its predecessors.
½ February 10, 2017
Really just a remake of the original only with apes Zira and Cornelius travelling back in time to present day and having to endure some humans who hunt them down out of fear. Highlight was seeing long-time channel 7 Detroit news anchor Bill Bonds play himself.
November 24, 2016
Escape is acceptable and heart-touching, making it one of the more decent three-quels to any original movie.
½ November 5, 2016
Best of the sequels as the Apes travel back from the future to modern day Earth in Taylor's spaceship, setting the course to explain the events that would bring the series full circle. A pleasure to see legendary Detroit news anchor Bill Bonds play himself.
September 24, 2016
Ons of the best films of the first saga.
August 27, 2016
I love Cornelius in this one, really happy when I saw Roddy McDowall played Ceasar in the sequel as well.
July 30, 2016
With a ridiculously wonderful opening reveal, this movie is joyfully entertaining despite the dark, sad turn it takes on in the final act. The whole notion of the apes getting back to 1970s earth is nonsense but oddly that is soon forgotten as the pace, acting and writing serve to carry you happily along for the ride.
July 17, 2016
This seems to be the most popular of the "Planet of the Apes" sequels. I can't say that it resonates very strongly with me. It's a decent film, but it's light, goofy tone appeals much less to than it's grim, serious successor and even it's patently ridiculous, but fun predecessor. In many ways it's the "Star Trek IV" of this series, so I can see why it appeals to people, but I'm not one of them. The budget is obviously a lot smaller here. The magnificent make-up effects of the first film are replaced by some pretty cheap rubber-mask-looking work here.
June 3, 2016
Escape From the Planet of the Apes offers audiences a story that basically takes the first film and reverses the circumstances, but adds in an abundance of humor and subtracts much of the power and sense of wonder engendered by that first film. The story is a bit of a stretch, and some of the plot points seem far too contrived, but the film does end with a rather powerful, unexpected twist that, once again, leaves viewers curious to see where the next film will go.