Escape from the Planet of the Apes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Escape from the Planet of the Apes Reviews

July 17, 2016
This seems to be the most popular of the "Planet of the Apes" sequels. I can't say that it resonates very strongly with me. It's a decent film, but it's light, goofy tone appeals much less to than it's grim, serious successor and even it's patently ridiculous, but fun predecessor. In many ways it's the "Star Trek IV" of this series, so I can see why it appeals to people, but I'm not one of them. The budget is obviously a lot smaller here. The magnificent make-up effects of the first film are replaced by some pretty cheap rubber-mask-looking work here.
June 3, 2016
Escape From the Planet of the Apes offers audiences a story that basically takes the first film and reverses the circumstances, but adds in an abundance of humor and subtracts much of the power and sense of wonder engendered by that first film. The story is a bit of a stretch, and some of the plot points seem far too contrived, but the film does end with a rather powerful, unexpected twist that, once again, leaves viewers curious to see where the next film will go.
March 18, 2016
Third slice of simian hokum. But at least it lightens up - at times you could think you were watching an episode of The Monkees - and we at last get fewer ponderous courtroom scenes and more emotional investment in the plight of the apes. Jerry Goldsmith compensates for the sometimes funereal pacing, and Roddy McDowall is better than usual as chief ape. Poor Kim Hunter - from Streetcar to this.
February 20, 2016
Just as Earth was destroyed at the end of the second film in the series, the kind and popular apes Cornelius and Zira managed to escape only to arrive in Earth in common present time. Their ability to speak of course fascinates humans, but as it becomes known what could happen in the future, the existence of the apes themselves is threatened. The third apes film is quite different from the first two films, and at some point seems to be too comedic. The film has some interesting points, and does manage to advance the story, but is easily the least interesting and original of the trilogy.
February 8, 2016
Not perfect, but much more enjoyable and involving than Beneath.
January 22, 2016
Escape from the Planet of the Apes is the first movie to stand out from the others, and tells a completely different story, while still being a major part in the Planet of the Apes storyline. It migh be dragged down in some parts, and is deinfately not as enjoayable throughout, but the ending is just as satisfying as ever, and sets the stage for the last two movies of the original series.
December 23, 2015
Of all the Apes flims, this one is only exceeded by the original and Dawn. The main reason this works so well is the relationship the apes from the future have with the humans of the present. There are humorous and engaging moments as both human and ape find commonality. However, as you know, that's got to come to an end at some point. A whole lot of death and destruction could certainly be avoided if human- and apekind were just a little more kind. Ah, but where would all that dystopia go? But again, as we find in all the Apes movies, it's not really humans or apes that are the problem, but rather a natural tendency to fear and thus preservation via the elimination of the "other." The message time and again is that all sentient beings must find respect for all. It is here where we need to be. We see that message in Cornelius and Zira, Caesar and Mr. McDonald. But ultimately it is the power of fear that has the last say, as it does here in Escape. An enjoyable film, even one lacking the sophistication and artistry brought about by 21st century film technology.
½ December 9, 2015
Me resulta poco agradable de ver aunque el viaje temporal y el reinicio de la saga es muy interesante.
½ December 3, 2015
Hunter and McDowall are splendid in this fine sequel that strikes a perfect balance between appropriate gravity and much-needed levity.
August 4, 2015
It got an extra star for being a planet of the apes movie..... yeah this movie blows but before movie execs heard the word prequel they came up with dumb ass ideas to make prequels.... I used to tell anyone that they had to watch this piece of shit to set up the last two original sequels, which are both great movies... like prison sex man just grin and bear it.
½ July 17, 2015
Laughable... That's the only redeeming quality in this movie. An ape bubble bath and woman's rights club. Very sad!
March 26, 2015
The best of the original POTA movies I've seen so far (last two to go). So weird and parts are so dated, and yet there's still enough universality to mostly still hold up.
½ March 18, 2015
most boring one yet but not terrible
½ March 7, 2015
9.5/10 - Cleverly written with genuine humor and wit from beginning to end. Balances light-hearted moments with tragedy. Not a single dull performance from any of the cast. Ricardo Montalban steals every scene he's in and demands attention as the charismatic Armando. Roddy McDowall and Kim Hunter perfectly play the clever and charming Cornelius and Zira as always. My second favorite in the series.
½ March 2, 2015
A painfully dull worthless sequel. The worst entry in the franchise.
February 7, 2015
Back on track from the previous Beneath The Planet Of The Apes blunder and more on par with the first movie only now it's the apes who are treated badly. The more things change...
January 11, 2015
Loved this movie, departure from the previous 2 but yes all the way
January 11, 2015
Really banal story, only few devotees can enjoy it. I can't understand the role of Natalie Trundy, in this movie she's acting like a statue, doing nothing that it's important. In My opinion the saga had to finish with the second chapter. I really banal Hollywood movie...
December 17, 2014
Credulity is stretched as Cornelius and Zira escape the apocalyptic future of the previous sequel to play fish out of water in 1970s Southern California. It's preposterous but surprisingly thoughtful and philosophical, turning the humans into the "bad guys" for the first time in the series. Except of course for Ricardo Montalban, who saves the day (and steals the last act of the film) as a kindly circus owner with a soft spot for apes.
½ November 30, 2014
A interesting parallel from the original film, but it still doesn't quite match up to it. There are many unanswered questions and plot holes. There are more lighthearted moments, but it isn't completely scarce of dark bits. Parts of it do work well though, and it is a fairly enjoyable sequel for the most part.