Escape From Tomorrow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Escape From Tomorrow Reviews

December 31, 2016
I don't think the marketing for this movie is very good. It somehow makes the movie look less than it actually is.
What it actually is it? A very unusual movie that takes off on a bold conception. Part of the movie was shot at Disney World without permission. In movie maker jargon they "stole the set". And they didn't steal Disney to do like a fan film, but to make a horror movie that is a bit of a takeoff on Disney's own beloved fantasy product. What goes on is that the father and ultimately the family has a fantasy, but a very dark surreal one.

We go through Disney World with a typical USA family, dad, mom, a boy and a girl. Things are a little off to begin with since the movie is in B&W. And isn't Disney A Wonderful World of Color? (That was the name of a Disney TV series in the 1960s) This could be to set visual to the theme of the picture and for more convincing process shots that are used occasionally throughout.
So we go on some rides with the family. They avoid copyright issues by replacing It's a Small World's horrible song with one equally silly and it's very funny. The boy wants to go on Buzz Lightyear and the girl something else so the family splits by gender. Things seem to drift from normal when the father eyes a couple of hot young foreign women and takes his son around the park following them. At some point he meets a mysterious woman with a hypnotic gem on her necklace and we are soon on a trip to dark fantasy land.
This is a dark and unusual film, a one of a kind with David Lynch type roots. It is a very good unique product.
½ August 13, 2016
This was very clever and very disturbing. I would definitely recommend.
July 11, 2016
''That wasn't a Good Play, No kidding, Horrible, You Said it, But the effects were decent''
½ April 25, 2016
"Escape From Tomorrow" reminds me of "Clerks" in many ways...creative, slightly demented & yes, filmed in grainy black & white. However, the one main difference between the two films is that Kevin Smith's debut grew into an indie comedy classic whereas "Escape" will probably be ultimately forgotten, a near-miss that creepily tweaks Disney mythology but never quite gets it right...
April 18, 2016
Unique, paranoid, original, and most definitely surreal, Escape From Tomorrow is a risky movie that proves that Hollywood still has some originality. Escape From Tomorrow is intriguing the entire time, with an unforgettable ending that will leave you wondering what you just watched. Rivals David Lynch in its atmosphere and is one of, if not the most, underrated movie of the past few years. A must-see, and I guarantee you will never look at Disney World the same way again.
April 17, 2016
This is how you fuck up psychological thrillers, what the hell was that? The guerilla filming is interesting, and the contrast of showing this nightmarish side to Disneyland sounds cool, but nothing of any substance or worth is said throughout the whole movie using that idea. It isn't even convincing of this horrifying midlife crisis the dad is apparently having, not that that story even had any value anyways.
Boooo
½ March 26, 2016
While I will give it props for being ambitious...it's is still probably in my opinion one of the worst films ever made!
February 29, 2016
This movie is very odd and nonsensical at times, However I honestly enjoyed it
February 21, 2016
I appreciate the effort and the courage of director Randy Moore. However, Escape for Tomorrow fails to embrace its limitation and ends up as messy, confusing art-house wannabe.
½ February 13, 2016
Flawed, but has to be one of the most ambitious and fearlessly made films ever put to celluloid. Gives the viewer both a sense of nostalgia as well as a new obscured look at what was once familiar, it's like a nightmare one would get if they were running a fever and spending their days rewatching early Disney flicks.
January 29, 2016
I kinda expected this would be the case (though hoping I'd be proven wrong) but it's more interesting as a news story than as a film. Still I like the concept of the movie but man did the main character ruin it for me. I face palmed so many times because of this idiot.
½ January 25, 2016
No thanks! I saw this for free and still want my money back.
January 11, 2016
I wasn't expecting much from this film but it had some quality that kept dragging me in. The surrealism is great and the methods chosen to shoot the film were spectacular. I probably wouldn't watch this again but it kept me entertained for a while.
December 19, 2015
Story is not worth 3 stars. But mad props (stars) for how they pulled this off.
December 10, 2015
"Bad things happen everywhere." It's like The Shining, but this one was just not much of a crowd pleaser. The black and white filming was an interesting concept, but I feel it may have been part of why it didn't spark too much interest (then again, this would be awful creepy if it were in color). It sounded like an interesting plot from the trailer, yet it probably could've been made a little better. Some scenes didn't make much sense, which is normal enough in most horror thrillers, but some parts of it were like "what??." Maybe not the worse horror thriller I've seen, nor was it terrible even, but I wouldn't consider it all that recommendable. The trailer was almost better than the film itself.
October 16, 2015
80% vacation footage of people on rides or standing in line... Just random and plotless

Avoid it
½ October 3, 2015
People really bashed this movie super hard. I have to say I don't know why, because this movie is awesome. It's not really the fact that it was filmed illegally, but that's pretty cool. What got to me was how it stuck with me, and dug into my skin. I went into it thinking it would be some hippy earthy-crunchy flick, but I was so wrong. It was a genius and horrific take on the conspiracies of Disney World. Everything is always just so perfect, and nothing ever goes wrong. Life goes on. The fact is that this movie is genius and I really enjoyed it. I think people who didn't like this movie are saying exactly the movie's premise: it is too dark for Disney. Lots of people do not take comfort in this idea. I, however, think it's brilliant.
September 9, 2015
The movie was a tad bit boring, but i did enjoy how it was shot guerrilla-style in Disneyland. Bold move. Interesting play on sexual innuendos...as Disney movies usually do...