Essential Directors: Martin Scorsese - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Essential Directors: Martin Scorsese Reviews

August 7, 2014
awesome and the last chapter is yet 2b written.
June 7, 2013
im Ruth, i wish to have you as my friend when i came across your profile today , please get back to me at my private email (ruthassin267@/yahoo/./com) for more details of my self, and i also have something
December 18, 2011
In my opinion one of if not the best directors under the sun.Mean sreets,taxi driver, raging bull,goodfellas,the aviator. it is shocking to know he only has one oscar for the departed when the likes of james camron has 3 steven spielberg has 3 and francis ford coppola has 5. not that coppola is not worthy i just thought scorsese would have won for raging bull and or goodfellas or even gangs of new york.
November 23, 2010
Goodfellas-
Definitely one of Scorsese's best and a true masterpiece. It is an amazing story with a great variety of characters. The acting is flawless; Joe Pesci, Robert De Niro and Ray Liotta are priceless together. It's also quite polished, opposed to Scorsese's earlier work and a change in his filming style.

The Aviator-
Not only is it one of Scorsese's most ambitious projects, it's Leonardo DiCaprio's as well. When you are trying to capture the essence of a man, it's extremely difficult because there's so much to take in all at once. Inevitably you're going to leave something out. However, The Aviator really doesn't do that. It's probably the most well rounded biopic ever made. It centers around a few of Howard Hughes' most important decades in his life. It shows the importance of a man's legacy and also his humanity. You get to see Hughes as a genius and as an OCD driven psychopath, I think it's both honest and fair. Like with all of Scorsese's films, the acting performances are phenomenal. Next to DiCaprio's dead on representation of Howard Hughes, you have Cate Blanchett playing an equally great Katherine Hepburn. The use of color and visuals is stunning and unforgettable, a modern masterpiece.

The Departed-
A great cast and amazing return to the crime genre for Martin Scorsese. It has some of the best performances from Matt Damon and Jack Nicholson in years and Mark Wahlberg's best. Not to mention another flawless performance from Leonardo DiCaprio. The story is suspenseful and well developed, giving you the best possible connection to the characters. I think it's one of the most visually different films that Scorsese has ever shot, it seemed like a completely different director shot some of the scenes. I think it's just even more evident that Scorsese is always building upon his work and trying new things.