Essex Boys - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Essex Boys Reviews

½ October 25, 2016
Mafia movies are always somewhat confusing. They move very quickly, so it's hard to keep track of the timeline, and they introduce characters so quickly, that at times it's hard to keep track of who's who. Sometimes you have to watch a good mafia film a couple times, just so you can pick up on everything, but with Essex Boys, you'd be lucky to make it through the film just once. If the fast pace of the movie and large cast weren't confusing enough, add thick British accents to the mix, and it's hard to know what's going on. Sean Bean is a favorite of mine, especially when he's playing a bad guy, but there is so much back and fourth between different factions in this film, that I'm not so sure he was the bad guy. In fact, I'm not too sure of anything with this film. To me, Essex Boys was just one big confusing mix of gangsters double crossing and shooting at each other, the whole thing just didn't make a whole lot of sense at all. It really was a difficult film to watch and apparently, according to the other poor reviews, I'm not the only one who thinks so. Despite all that, not one, but two sequels have been made to this film. I am just bewildered by the whole thing, and my best advise is that even if you are the biggest mafia movie virtuoso in the world, this is a film you should definitely skip.
December 9, 2015
Prefer "Rise of the Footsoldier" with this being a lot more fictionalized but still a good movie
April 22, 2015
The most remarkable part of the movie is Sean Bean's performance (even though you partially hate him). When he's not on screen, the movie feels like it's lacking and there's a bit too much of that.
½ June 12, 2013
great actors, wasn't as action pacted as i thought it would be, the ending had a great twist though.
May 13, 2013
Based on a true story, this is one of 4 films about the murder of 3 drug dealers in England. Although it stars Sean Bean, one of my favorite actors, I didn't much care for it.
½ March 23, 2013
Another film based on the killing of three thugs in Essex. A different 3 to Rise of the footsoilder (answers on a postcard please). Where that film had Carlton Leach and football this had Sean Bean and Billy the Whizz. Both films have something going for them, which is something more than Bonded by Blood - one more film to go based on these events, The Fall of the Essex Boys (which based on the name could be a mash up of the 2 'good' films.....
½ September 18, 2012
92%

Falls just short of being an epic gangster film.
½ July 25, 2012
A real stinker, boring and has the worst acting from Sean Bean ever!
½ April 25, 2012
Ehhh...Kinda Slow...I Fell Asleep Watching It...OK Movie All In All
April 13, 2012
Just bumped onto it, and couldn't simply miss it after knowing it's based on real events. Just can't help it. But it turned out to be an alright TP. While the story was okay, it's the acting that crushes the film. All the actors seemed to be on their worst. Sean Bean is an utter disaster. Charlie Creed-Miles excelled him by & large, but as the movie approached towards its culmination, even he's out in the competition of sucking. Fair fare.
March 30, 2012
a solid british gangster movie, 'inspired' by true events, the rettendon range rover murders, as is 'rise of the footsoldier' and 'bonded by blood' 2 much better movies, but this movie while staying quite close to how the actual murder came to be, does it's own thing, and is quite a bit of fiction, but it remains an enjoyabe gritty, voilent, and thrilling movie, and is definatly recommended, jus dont expect to see the definative version of events, but as a stand alone british thriller, essex boys delivers.
February 11, 2012
I do have to say that this is the film that started the series of different angles to the 'Rettendon Murders'. In my opinion, this is the first you should watch followed by 'Rise of the Foot Soldier'. Obviously a class act from Sean Bean as well as some other known faces from the English acting schools that embrace us with the likes of Ray Winstone, Danny Dyer etc. Overall though, it does make you think what is going on in these underworlds and wether or not it still goes on. Anyway, a rating out of 10 on this would have to be a generous 8. Not quite 'Snatch' or 'Lock Stock' but you have to remember that this is based on a true story and the thought of putting the kettle on half way through is a definitely a 'No No'. More like a few beers, kebab menu and even the Mrs may enjoy this knowing it is a true story! Watch it!
½ February 5, 2012
Close to great British gangster flick. Give it a look.
January 2, 2012
I was hoping for something similar to The Take but just ended up with this gritty, mean, (true) story about the murder of three British gangsters who, if this fictional retelling is to be believed, had it coming. Seriously, its impossible to sympathize with 98% of the characters in this film! And whenever someone gets double-crossed, I just shrugged. Not only was it predictable, it was fitting. This film was all right, but I would've liked to see "Neddard Stark" in a better light =D
December 14, 2011
Two stars go to the excellent Tom Wilkinson who is undoubtably the only reason to see this, otherwise Sean Bean struggles to control his outrageous Sheffield accent, Larry Lamb effectively overacts his way off the big screen forever and Windsor's direction goes largely unnoticed. A dark, overwrought and unintelligent attempt to breathe life in to this stale Brit-gangster genre.
½ November 14, 2011
Another gangster movie, although this one has real actors.
October 8, 2011
Scary but true story, that mixes some fictional characters, with some factional ones. Over the last few years there has been a real zest for the 'British Gangster' genre and this will not disappoint. Though it is not wholly original, it does give the viewer a glimpse into the Essex underworld.
½ July 28, 2011
A surprisingly well made mob flick from the English. Sean Bean is scarily good as a vicious & violent criminal.
June 19, 2011
I rented this simply because of Alex Kingston (she does a fantastic job in this by the way). Though I was not familiar with the incident this is based on, the film had just enough action to keep my interest. Much of the movie is "talking heads" so the plot moves along fairly slowly. While I can't recommend this for everyone, if you like crime/drug lord kind of stuff, this may be right up your alley.