Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind Reviews

½ July 26, 2016
Imaginative, audacious, complex, intelligent, heartbreaking, brilliant, it's kind of miraculous that a film with so many different elements, a film that shouldn't work logistically, manages to work beautifully on many levels. Kudos to Charlie Kaufman's ingenious script because without his uncommonly intelligent script, this film would never have been made. Major props to director Michel Gondry for his artistic direction and the two leads for their nuanced performances. "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" is not only an insightful look at memory and romantic love, but also a deeply moving and cerebral journey that will leave you with a lot of thoughts in your head. One of the best and most original films of 2000s.
July 22, 2016
Definitely one of the greatest portrayal of love and heartache,This film pulls you in and doesn't let go.One of the only romantic comedies that would make me cry.
July 19, 2016
Charlie Kaufman gives a masterclass in screenwriting via this movie.
July 13, 2016
... I don't even know how to start this review without gushing over the perfection and creativity that unfolds in this film. Charlie Kaufman outdoes himself once again in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. An incredible ride of fun, dark, and near insane characters who journey through the ups and downs of romance in the most believable way possible. Not only is the story and characters creative and intelligent, it's extremely unique. Never in a million years will there ever be a film like this. I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone who has enough of an open mind to dive into a totally surrealistic, creative and thought provoking experience.
½ July 13, 2016
Spectacular in a magical way, "Eternal Sunshine" explores the concept that one can truly lose their mind from being in a relationship. While sometimes being painfully heartwarming and charming, the film still manages to be original and not to stray too far into the rom-com clichés. Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet are both wonderful throughout despite their characters' quirky ways which is all shown in a unique way by director Michel Gondry.
July 6, 2016
Overall from the 1st watch I did enjoy the film. I believe you will have to watch it 2-3 more times to really appreciate the message. However you can appreciate the dialogue, the perfect use of music, and attention to detail from the director. The cast was also very well done and believable.
July 6, 2016
A delightful screenplay that is easily relatable. A quirky romance with a sci-fi spin. The John Brion score is a treat. Highly recommended.
July 4, 2016
Eternal Sunshine is one of those really complex mental movies - the ones that really go in deep to make you think - sometimes they work and other times they're too much, and there isn't enough for Eternal Sunshine to work with.
Joel Barish is a boring guy. When he finally meets the right girl for him, Clementine, he is shocked to discover that long before, they were in a relationship where she erased everything about him from her memory. In retaliation and in anger, Joel does the same thing and the transformation of forgetting the memories is shown internally.
Eternal Sunshine is a change for Jim Carrey, whose often goofy and over the top comedic performances are dark and quiet here. The whole film has a gloomy atmosphere about it that, although goes along well with the depressing plot, feels lifeless. The whole film seems a bit lifeless and boring. Eternal Sunshine is a mind boggler and requires a lot of thinking. The film doesn't have enough substance in it to be interesting and loses interest and turns into a boring, confusing snoozefest very fast. Eternal Sunshine is boring, depressing, and has the palettes of a tiring gray rainy day - it's too overall depressing to be memorable or even enjoyable.
July 1, 2016
This is one of the best movies of all time. The writing is perfect, it's trippy as hell, and it'll hit you square in both the feels and the funnies.
July 1, 2016
It is a directional masterpiece, a movie told frame by frame, completely supported by the directional choices that managed to push it forward. The color of Winslet's hair is a directional choice itself. Kate Winslet's character was a mystery, something unique, exciting and very much alive. Carrey's character was the absolute opposite and that was just a marvel to look at. This movie worked perfectly because the characters and the direction worked together. The acting was completely on point, and the plot was just a beautiful and well orchistrated mess. I had my "aha" moment when I suddenly felt all the pieces of the puzzle that his movie is, fit together in a wonderful picture inside of my head, and it all made total sense. You can't just possibly be you, without your memories, can you?
June 26, 2016
A very intriguing story and a touching, relatable love relationship between Joel and Clementine.
June 25, 2016
In case you're wondering - Jim Carrey does have it in him to make serious films.
June 13, 2016
Clever and original romantic mind exploration. Carrey impressive.
June 12, 2016
Overall such a beautiful classic film Jim Carrey in a much serious role that you're not use to seeing him nails it right in the head with his great acting.
June 10, 2016
I loved everything about this film. There were flaws, but they were dealt with (or not dealt with) in realistic ways.
½ June 7, 2016
Beautifully done film and Jim Carrey was unrecognizable because he did just a great performance. Probably his best. A
June 6, 2016
must rewatch and rewatch again. gotta be in my top 5
June 4, 2016
Probably one of the most relateable and tragic movies I have ever seen. It's a film that is of the likes of Memento and Inception without the emotion being lost in translation. I have not seen such a movie describe love in such a true way. It's a movie that begs the question: Is love something neurological or something that transcends human understanding. Not only is is one of the best presentations of a truly beautiful but poisonous relationship but it is also one of the best science fiction movies I've seen in a long time. Like Bill Murray, I hope to see Jim Carrey in a lot more heavy-handed movies some day.
June 3, 2016
Absolutely the best romance movie I've ever seen! It is one of the smartest, most original, and most sincere stories to ever be created. and it is beautiful for the entire runtime. the story just hits you right where it should and needs too. it is a flawless quirky and genius script. the acting is 100% oscar worthy throughout the film especially from Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet. they are perfect. and so is the rest of the movie. the ending leaves you slightly puzzled but hopeful and happy and at the same time with a sense of melancholy. it is bizarre, brilliant, and beautiful.

10/10
June 3, 2016
If you've ever had a painful breakup, watch this film. If you've ever wished you could just start again, see this movie. The only movie that ever made me cry... maybe for the above reasons.