Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind Reviews

April 17, 2017
"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd..."
½ April 10, 2017
Imagine that you are in your house, and you receive a letter in the mail saying "A very close friend erased you from his memory" from this argument that Charlie Kaufman creates a script that is much more than a simple script he is a study on beauty Of loving, reciprocating, hating and forgetting, entering the human psyche Charlie does not arrive at the limit of his idea, but he exposes and discusses it, in line with great technical concepts and great performances, we have a young cult who charms everyone, talk With most, and thrills some. Charlie Kaufman's screenplay tells the story of a world where there is a company called the gap, a company that erases people from their memories so that they do not suffer. In this world there are Joel (Jim Carrey) and Clementine (Kate Winslet) A passionate couple who insist on forgetting each other, seems like a simple script, but he comes from a genius aligned with a complete simplicity that touches, from his argument Kaufman could elaborate a mega future, where several couples erase, the Consequences, etc, etc., etc. But not Kaufman simply tells the story of a couple in love. "Eternal Brightness of a Mind Without Remembrance" shows us the power of love, shows us the importance of pain, erase a person from memory and end suffering, is not evolutionary, we learn from pain, from suffering, even by erasing The memories come back to make the same mistake - As shown 2x in the film - we fall in love with the same people, because the feeling of love is beyond the comprehensible, this film is one of those that we should watch in different times of our lives that with certainty We will have completely different interpretations, it is a film that will survive the test of time, because its theme will always be and will always be a highlight because it is intrinsic to the human being, the eternal brightness of love will always shine in a mind, even if it does not know. We have many merits for Kaufman, but we can not forget Michel Gondry who can cinematically reproduce Kaufman's abstract script, with scenes that refer to Lynch, Michel uses and abuses the camera, with tight, focused plans, playing with light, blurring and Playing with the dimensionality of the screen, always maintaining a palette of blue colors, photography is the least camelećo of the film, with a beautiful and unique soundtrack, it sends all the joy of the discovery mixed with the anguish and sadness of forgetfulness, despite the Confused time line, and to constantly lose its rhythm, and even to take away the climax created in its secondary history, the film technically enchants with its resources and translations of the human psyche, mainly because it is simple and real. It seems that Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet are changed, Jim making a focused and focused character and Kate making a laughable and funny character, fun, curious and cheerful, are 2 spectacular actors, Jin manages to pass an incredible dramatic charge, and Kate is gorgeous, In addition, we have a generally wonderful cast. We can conclude by saying that the film goes beyond a common cinematographic work, it appeals to the feeling, it not only appeals, it touches, it causes reflection, it is a film that we have to watch every 5 years, every stage of life, We will see how we will have different interpretations and reactions of the same, finally, we have a work that walks along the linear of the perfection.
½ April 8, 2017
Great show!! I like how it makes you think about the nature of relationships and the memories you make with a person! Would definitely recommend!
April 1, 2017
Another movie Kate Winslet carries with her amazing talent. Its a good Sci-Fi movie about a guy who goes to see a doctor to get the memories of his old girlfriend erased from his brain. Then during the process he realizes that he only wants to erase the bad memories and keep the good. I loved the script. Jim Carrey was good. But Kate was amazing.
½ March 24, 2017
Smart, imaginative and really well acted, this mindbuggling romance-comedy drama is a unforgettable motion picture, and a real journey.
March 15, 2017
Bizarre and confusing. Somewhat interesting screenplay but can't make up my mind what to the think the stories message conveys.
March 14, 2017
I hate that I sweat when I start to write something I care about, like there's this massive pressure I apparently can't handle. Well it's true when it comes to something you revere so much and love that you realize words can't express it, that's why it was made into picture. In fact this is verified by comparing the screenplay to the film. The screenplay is a great driving force, a nice genesis, somewhat of a blueprint to get going with a great idea, but it is by no means an accurate paper look at what would be the finished result. To get that, an extraordinary exercise in visual imagination and montage had to seamlessly meld together, and that's the result of Eternal Sunshine.

What a beautiful name, as suggested by one of the quotes spewed out by Mary (Kirsten Dunst) while Howard (Tom Wilkinson) attempts to correct a highly unusual brain function of Joel Barish (Jim Carrey), who is resisting his memory erasure of Clementine (Kate Winslet). That there could be a place in the mind, in existence itself - whatever web that looks like - which shines without end, no matter what forces try to expel it. It's elasticity compounds it's form always, it will find a way. Or it burns so bright there is no cooling it - we see winter, freezing sea water, an icy river, but this passionate feeling burns so hot that even with the highest technology, a clue is left to beat the system at it's game. This sunshine truly believes it's in love, and it wants to live with the memory, it wants the ghosts to thrive, not merely have it caught, trapped, and buried away in some unknown recess.

What an interesting journey for a character, an adventure through the mind, fighting circumstances the protagonist himself created. He put his antagonists there, and now he's simply changed his mind. Meanwhile, he can also hear voices of the men working on him, Stan (Mark Ruffalo) and Patrick (Elijah Wood), giving him the needed clairvoyance to unravel a conspiracy from an unethically behaved Patrick, who takes advantages of these memory erasures to jump in and take Joel's girl, manipulating her with sensitive emotional points he learns from Joel's memory stash. That's such a brilliant, unique conflict setup; it's merciless, capitalizing on Joel and Clementine's inertness. And we love to see his measly plan turn on him - it only works for so long before she feels everything is off. This is not true love, these things are inherent elsewhere. Even if Joel and Clementine never have a memory of these things being used as Patrick's tricks, they will always have the imprint left on their souls, that eternal sunshine.

There's some confusion as to how many times over this has all happened - an exact number would be unsatisfying. It hints that this has happened several times at the end by showing them running away together in several loops - I personally would've used various takes, running from the same point but doing different actions - missed opportunity.

Grainy film stock for reality (probably Tri-X) vs brighter, cleaner, surrealist quality for dreams.

It's one of those string tugging, lump in my throat experiences, but it's pulling at the deepest level, far from cheap. Memory erasure is an evocative idea, especially when it conflicts with love. On a lesser level, but still to some degree, I had the same reaction to Moira McTaggert regaining her loving memory of Professor X in X-Men Apocalypse.

Spotlight highlights brain-centralizing points of memory strength while other areas fade to darkness.

Optical illusion of mirror frame as Joel runs to one side of the street and it morphs into the other side. He can see the other side from a distance, Clementine walking away from him angrily, but as he approaches it turns to the side he was on.

The idea that two lovers have a whole history and no memory of it is a bit tormenting, but then a spiritualist can relate this to some past life soulmate who they feel connected to, but no concrete memory of goings on with one another. When we say past life in Buddhism, often we mean a past part of ourselves from this very lifetime, thus there is a spirituality to them being soulmates, that they find each other at least a couple of times, if not more. The screenplay suggests it happens endlessly, thus the 'eternity' of 'Eternal Sunshine.'

The effect of the distorted faces is eerie.

Staging - Joel walking out of bookstore to his friends house. The way the lights shut down as he marches along each successive row until total darkness.

Classic tricks - Clementine disappears from bathroom to diagonal room as Joel marches towards her, appears in one take.

Set design - bookstore is brilliant, appears so natural that it seems on location, but with all the effects work done inside it had to have been designed. Some subtleties, like book titles disappearing.
½ March 14, 2017
I have never seen anything like this film. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is incredibly heartfelt and thought provoking. Having just got out of a relationship this film crushed me. Jim Carey and Kate Winslet are both great and carry the entire film. The directing is amazing and their are multiple scenes that I still have no clue how he shot and directed it. This will go down as an all time classic.
March 9, 2017
Sweet love story at heart but didn't like Jim Carey! At-ll
February 10, 2017
Stylishly written and directed, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a thoughtful and fascinating film.
February 7, 2017
The deconstruction of a relationship done in a very original way.
January 17, 2017
F R O D O B A G G I N S
January 16, 2017
I love this movie... thought provoking and deep and meaningful... i can now appreciate the appeal of the eternal sunshine of a spotless mind... in more ways then one
January 12, 2017
Did the title come from Alexander Pope? I loved the imagery, the music and the warmth of Jim Carrey's performance. And great to see an (early?) Mark Ruffalo. But I just wonder what the concept of the movie is.
December 29, 2016
Relentlessly goofy and surprisingly deep, 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' is Jim Carrey's best ever performance. An equally stellar supporting cast make this one of the more unusual yet charming love stories ever made. Off the beaten path, we are given hope that there are writers still out there who can spin a tale that interests us for the duration. Final Score 8.4/10
December 27, 2016
I was able to bear it only up to around 30 minutes, after which I was unable to take the torture anymore. Though appreciated & applauded by lots, this one's obviously not my cup of tea.
December 23, 2016
One of my all time favorites, watched it ten times. Took a couple of times to catch everything. Brilliant and beautiful. Kaufman is incredibly gifted and Gondy's direction was a great match for this story. Cannot wait for more from Kaufman!
December 22, 2016
Really great, despite the story getting jumbled towards the end, what with Charlie Kaufman's crazy writing. One of the best directors ever, so you can't help but love the movie.
½ December 16, 2016
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind is without a doubt, a modern masterpiece. It's inventive, unconventional plot is fresh and unheard of. The performances from Carrey and Winslet in particular are fantastic and the film flowed perfectly. I disliked a couple of scenes like where Jim Carrey is a big baby but the rest of the memories are informative and influential to the overall story. This is one of the smartest films of the decade.
½ December 14, 2016
Clever and original romantic mind exploration. Carrey impressive.