Ethan Mao - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ethan Mao Reviews

May 10, 2013
excellent, worth watching
½ April 13, 2013
read the synopsis for the story line. this story had possibilities. Acting was so so, the actors seemed like they were reading the script and not feeling it . they were not believable. there were time that the two boys Ethan and Romero did a good job. that was not often. the story line its self was decent, and like I said had strong possibilities. the direction was lacking the did not give his actors the guidance they needed for a believable performance. all in all it was watchable, but parts dragged. would I recommend it. not really its a film that is watchable, but have something else to do.
March 14, 2012
This film wasn't what I was expecting at all. It's very touching in some ways, disturbing in others, but very well acted. A love story like you'll never have seen, and so original it deserves a good rating.
September 26, 2011
Okay, so I'm behind, but catching up. Luckily, though, I caught this film after searching through gay themed thriller type movies, and had just about given up on anything worth turning the tv on for. For those critics that call it a B movie, well duh, it wasn't meant for wide release, but to tell a story, which it did in a very nice way. Sure, some dialogue burps, but overall well done for the fresh group of actors involved to tell this dysfunctional family story. Caught me very nicely by surprise! Well done.
½ September 11, 2011
In my opinion, this is an excellent drama about human relationships. It is typically categorized as a "Gay Movie" but the gay element is not really primary in this film. Much the same story could have been told if Ethan had been kicked out for drug use or religious views and had met a girl on the streets. The power of the story is in its exploration of character, relationship, and family. The script and direction are very good. The acting by its small cast is excellent. I would recommend it to anyone.
½ August 9, 2011
This is a weird screenplay and a silly plot. "Ethan Mao" is kicked out of his house by his homophobic father and holds his family hostage to retrieve his dead mother's necklace. First, Ethan Mao (played by limited Jun Hee Lee who's sulks too much) should be more worried about finding a job and then hustling where he gets fucked all the time. His BFF who's secretly in love with him, Remigio (played by Juan Hernandez who steals this movie) but it's hard to believe that he would leave his drug dealing to get involved in this messy family hostage drama. Julia Nickson, as the bitchy stepmom, adds some spice to the movie but she's a pale version of "Mommie Dearest."

I didn't feel any empathy towards Ethan Mao so I didn't buy into his dilemma so the movie didn't work at all for me. Another problem is that nothing's accomplished at the end. The characters remain the same as they started. His younger brother Josh (played as a cute wimp by David Tran) seems like he's on the brink of revealing some secrets himself but that's not the case. When Remigio and Ethan surrender at the end and head into the sunlight, we wonder why? The family could save them from the cops.
December 21, 2010
youll be the first person i kiss if i ever love anyone
½ April 27, 2010
WOW, RT CRITICS! IT IS HARDLY THAT BAD! I AM MUCH MORE IN AGREEANCE WITH IMDB ON THIS ONE. IT IS FLAWED - THE ACTING CAN BE AMATEURISH AT TIMES, AND THE "IS IT REALLY HAPPENING? GOT A BIT OLD. BUT, CONSIDERING THE BUDGET, THEY DID A GOOD JOB. IT WAS SUSPENSEFULD INTERESTING.
August 2, 2009
Quentin Lee is definitely a director I am watching. This is a great film.
½ March 8, 2009
I was reading the various "reviews" here on Flixter for this movie. It reminded me that each review (including the "plot" summary) should be titled "in my opinion". So, in my opinion, this is a movie worth seeing. It's about a lot more than being gay. No special effects or that stuff, but a movie to watch and listen to and, maybe, even think about a bit.
½ February 4, 2009
It needed more shooting...because I love gaysians with guns!
July 26, 2008
The chemistry between Ethan and Remigio is really cool. The acting is spotty and some of the characters are paper thin, but the film ends with a question, and I like that.
½ July 13, 2008
The director is such a drama queen and so is the story, but some issues the film presents about chiese gay people is quiet accurate. Although it's published film but still looks like student film. Anyway, you can see the director tried to work very hard for it.
If you are rice queen and like fomula 17, I think you would like this film too. They can be episodes for series named " Learn About Young Chinese Gay People."
May 31, 2008
Nice kick off for Jun Hee Lee. Could have been better acting and was somewhat over the top. I got the message. And Jerry Hernandez is such a sweetie.
March 18, 2008
Didn't work on any level.
It tried, and I guess that was what counts
½ February 8, 2008
Well meaning and original low budget hostage drama with a twist almost works until the situation becomes ridiculous.
January 9, 2008
Not sure. Interesting, but was dragging on a from time to time..
December 12, 2007
cute movie and a little sad as well. really like the story line because it is realistic.