Ethan Mao Reviews

• May 10, 2013

excellent, worth watching

excellent, worth watching

• Apr 13, 2013

read the synopsis for the story line. this story had possibilities. Acting was so so, the actors seemed like they were reading the script and not feeling it . they were not believable. there were time that the two boys Ethan and Romero did a good job. that was not often. the story line its self was decent, and like I said had strong possibilities. the direction was lacking the did not give his actors the guidance they needed for a believable performance. all in all it was watchable, but parts dragged. would I recommend it. not really its a film that is watchable, but have something else to do.

• Mar 14, 2012

This film wasn't what I was expecting at all. It's very touching in some ways, disturbing in others, but very well acted. A love story like you'll never have seen, and so original it deserves a good rating.

• Sep 26, 2011

Okay, so I'm behind, but catching up. Luckily, though, I caught this film after searching through gay themed thriller type movies, and had just about given up on anything worth turning the tv on for. For those critics that call it a B movie, well duh, it wasn't meant for wide release, but to tell a story, which it did in a very nice way. Sure, some dialogue burps, but overall well done for the fresh group of actors involved to tell this dysfunctional family story. Caught me very nicely by surprise! Well done.

• Sep 11, 2011

In my opinion, this is an excellent drama about human relationships. It is typically categorized as a "Gay Movie" but the gay element is not really primary in this film. Much the same story could have been told if Ethan had been kicked out for drug use or religious views and had met a girl on the streets. The power of the story is in its exploration of character, relationship, and family. The script and direction are very good. The acting by its small cast is excellent. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Aug 09, 2011

This is a weird screenplay and a silly plot. "Ethan Mao" is kicked out of his house by his homophobic father and holds his family hostage to retrieve his dead mother's necklace. First, Ethan Mao (played by limited Jun Hee Lee who's sulks too much) should be more worried about finding a job and then hustling where he gets fucked all the time. His BFF who's secretly in love with him, Remigio (played by Juan Hernandez who steals this movie) but it's hard to believe that he would leave his drug dealing to get involved in this messy family hostage drama. Julia Nickson, as the bitchy stepmom, adds some spice to the movie but she's a pale version of "Mommie Dearest." I didn't feel any empathy towards Ethan Mao so I didn't buy into his dilemma so the movie didn't work at all for me. Another problem is that nothing's accomplished at the end. The characters remain the same as they started. His younger brother Josh (played as a cute wimp by David Tran) seems like he's on the brink of revealing some secrets himself but that's not the case. When Remigio and Ethan surrender at the end and head into the sunlight, we wonder why? The family could save them from the cops.

• Dec 21, 2010

youll be the first person i kiss if i ever love anyone

youll be the first person i kiss if i ever love anyone

• Apr 27, 2010

WOW, RT CRITICS! IT IS HARDLY THAT BAD! I AM MUCH MORE IN AGREEANCE WITH IMDB ON THIS ONE. IT IS FLAWED - THE ACTING CAN BE AMATEURISH AT TIMES, AND THE "IS IT REALLY HAPPENING? GOT A BIT OLD. BUT, CONSIDERING THE BUDGET, THEY DID A GOOD JOB. IT WAS SUSPENSEFULD INTERESTING.

• Aug 02, 2009

Quentin Lee is definitely a director I am watching. This is a great film.

Quentin Lee is definitely a director I am watching. This is a great film.

• Feb 04, 2009

It needed more shooting...because I love gaysians with guns!

It needed more shooting...because I love gaysians with guns!