Etoiles: Dancers of the Paris Opera Ballet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Etoiles: Dancers of the Paris Opera Ballet Reviews

½ March 24, 2011
Great documentary about the stars of the Paris Opera Ballet plus interviews and rehearsal footage with Jiri Kylian. This film does a great job of showing the immense dedication of these dancers in such a difficult, all-encompassing, and life-changing career choice.
October 19, 2010
Very nice footage and good insight to French dancers -- so far, most ballet documentaries I've come across focus on Russian dancers, and while I enjoy those, it's interesting to delve into another highly regarded school.
October 17, 2009
Why such a poor reception for a work I found so insanely beautiful and wonderful? Yes, it might have been less than 'insane' or fast-paced and people might have liked, but considering this is the PARIS Opera Ballet, I cannot expect anything else from such an amazing company who take pride in choosing only the best and dancing only the best.

If you are one of those people who cannot sit down and admire something without it blasting in your face and ears, then Etoiles is most certainly NOT the film for you to watch, at all. It takes its time, but presents it in such an elegant and suitable matter you are completely engrossed in the world of ballet.

It is more of a look inside the world of the Paris Opera Ballet. It is not explanatory about ballet in general, so if you know absolutely nothing about ballet or its dancers, you might be lost for some parts of the film.

Etoiles provides what I feel is a rare view into the world of dancers we rarely get to see - rehearsals, how they feel about their profession, dance classes, etc. We see the creative process of a ballet from its very raw beginnings to the version we see on stage. Such notable figures in ballet such as Maurice Bejart make appearances in the film, and we get to see glimpses of his work(s) and other choreographers who call POB home.

As mentioned before, Etoiles is not insanely glitzy. Well, at least, not in some people's standards. It is quiet, enjoyable, and relaxing. I don't know if this is to everyone's tastes or likings, but it was certainly to mine.