Europa Europa - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Europa Europa Reviews

½ October 18, 2016
It has been romanticized compared to the real story of Solomon, but what the heck it is still an extraordinary story. It follows the war timeline of an innocent victim and shows how something like friendship is relative and there exist humanity in the midst of evil like Lenis mother ( a character we sympathise with) and Robert. The ending is happy and at the same time horrifying when we see Isak has reunited with Solomon. Underrated.
October 4, 2016
I believe this is one of the best movies ever made. Everything is at it should be. A Tragedy that will leave you spellbound.
November 4, 2014
This is a must see, foreign classic. Powerful beyond words. Beautifully told and superbly acted. You'll forget its a movie.
October 29, 2014
powerful and emotional...kept me interested till the end. Julie Delpy's acting was top-notch.
June 1, 2014
First time I saw this movie was in college, but it's definitely worth watching periodically. Every other minute is a moment of heart stopping suspense. Will the Nazis find the Jew who's hiding in plain sight?
January 30, 2014
France/Germany. WW2, young German Jew avoids Holocaust by acting as though a part of the Nazis. Tremendous journey and true tale of survival. With a young Julie Delpy playing a member of the Hitler youth.
October 8, 2013
An important historical film set between 1938 and 1945.
August 1, 2013
A thoughtful and inventive foreign film.
July 12, 2013
"Filhos da Guerra" é sem sombra de dúvidas o maior de Holocausto que já assisti depois de "A Lista de Schindler"! Nenhum filme sobre este assunto prendeu tanto a minha atenção quanto este! Poucos filmes conseguiram retratar a raiva e o desprezo que os nazistas tinham pelos judeus como este filme conseguiu! Um roteiro impecável o tornou um dos grandes clássicos do cinema alemão e, para mim, o segundo melhor clássico de nazismo de todos os tempos.
June 16, 2013
This is a captivating true story about a Jewish German boy who desperately tries to conceal his identity as he tries to pass himself as pure Aryan.
April 28, 2013
I liked this a lot, but it was really odd in a way. Here is this Jewish teenager during WWII able to survive by everyone seeming to fall in love with his looks.

Also interesting, it had been expected to be nominated for Best Foreign Language Film but Germany did not submit it.
½ March 30, 2013
One of the best WWII films ever made.
March 1, 2013
it's a good base on true story movie, but feels like something is missing,,
February 10, 2013
An extraordinary story which I find difficult to believe completely, but that in no way tarnished the movie...Well worth putting aside two hours of your life and giving it a watch...
February 5, 2013
Powerful and gripping film based on a true story about Solomon Perel, a Jew who survived the Holocaust by literally hiding within enemy lines. As soon as the film kicks in it is simply spellbindingly intense. Hofscheider in the leading role is excellent, and the photography very pleasing, but it is the screenplay that most makes this film a great experience, with its twists and interesting support characters that come and go and keep leaving Perel alone to fight his own war against the Nazis.
January 11, 2013
A fascinating story.
December 23, 2012
This movie was like the Forest Gump of foreign films, only true. Great movie.
December 7, 2012
Want to see it! Will have to take into account!
November 28, 2012
An interesting look at the Holocaust through the eyes of a Jewish boy trying to survive the horror by being a Nazi.
½ November 26, 2012
Compelling story - and I actually like the main actor even though the reviews get on his case - but my main beef is with the film production. The story is told so straightforwardly, and with awkward editing, etc., so that there is no appreciation of how serendipitous some of the changes in Solomon's life are. It progresses as if everything were inevitable. Solomon's human reactions to everything are a bright spot, in my opinion.