Evangerion shin gekij˘ban: Jo (Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone) (Neon Gensis: Evangelion 1.01 You Are (Not) Alone) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Evangerion shin gekij˘ban: Jo (Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone) (Neon Gensis: Evangelion 1.01 You Are (Not) Alone) Reviews

½ July 6, 2016
I.....I wouldn't if I were you.
½ June 4, 2016
Shinji battles the Angels in his EVA to save humanity.

As a fan of the original Evangelion series I was very interested in checking out the 'Rebuild' movies and viewed You Are (Not) Alone in Blu-Ray. I have to say this is a must see for any fan of the show. While much of this story repeats and condenses the first few episodes, there were enough changes throughout to keep me on my toes which leads to the climax of the story where it almost all goes a different way.

What is remarkable is the updated effects in the rebuild don't stand out or look out of place. There is a quicker pace to keep events moving when compared to the series and a few story elements introduced very (very) early by comparison but I think it's good to keep in mind that these new films will take the Evangelion story on a very different tangent - which seems evident from the more noticeable changes at the end of this film.

Still a great watch, the action, the effects and tension are all still there along with those character dynamics we love from the series.
½ February 29, 2016
If you're a fan of the original anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion then you will not be disappointed with this reboot, at least not this first theatrical release. The series ran 26 episodes and had two films that were made to give fans more of a meaningful resolution than the finally two episodes of the series offered which was more of a psychological mash-up of Shinji's mind. The first film of these two was Death and Rebirth (1997) which has the first hour devoted to retelling the series primary plot points and the last half hour dedicated to new footage. This last half of Death and Rebirth make up the beginning half hour of what would be The End of Evangelion (Also 1997) and gives viewers a more tangible, albeit horrific, close to the series story and the character's fates. While the last couple episodes of the series were a psychological delve into Shinji's mind, The End of Evangelion is the outright devastating physical conclusion to the series and a harsh reality to accept.
The first of the proposed four film rebuild of Evangelion, Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone is essentially an introduction to the characters and story line of the series and one that sticks very closely to the original series narrative. There are some slight differences in story and certainly the film boasts a much bigger budget and utilizes the advances in the decade or more since the earlier films and boasts both hand-drawn animation and the latest CGI blended together seamlessly and visually it is gorgeous to view! While I've seen it on Blu-ray and admired the quality, seeing it at my local cinema recently along with 2.22 and 3.33 in a three-film marathon was a totally engrossing and visually sensational experience unlike any other! The CGI involved really adds to the style and feel of the series and breathes new life into the proceedings, especially the angels and their functionality. This first film is condensed certainly but still does a fantastic job at capturing the many battles with the various angels but more importantly it clings to the psychological and humanity of the central story arc and it's Jewish and Christian symbolism all of which add dramatic and visual depth to the series and of course this/these films!
½ February 1, 2016
Basically your getting the first 5 episodes re-done in HD with less in depth storytelling and more emphasis on giant robot fight scenes.
January 19, 2016
It may just be a remake of the first few episodes of the television series, but it does set up a fresh look for new fans of the series
December 27, 2015
Good rebelling of the first part of the series.
May 29, 2015
It showcases the first 6 episodes of the series and reformulates the whole story.
April 10, 2015
I want to see how it all started
April 3, 2015
This film was crafted very well, it's accessible enough for those who are watching these for the first time, but if you are I'd highly recommend watching the original anime, but it also has enough very subtle hints in there for fans. It starts out the exact same as episode 1 and the first 20 minutes seem to be exactly the same as episode one but of course, looking a lot different, which might sound like there is no point for these to exist, but given all the subtle, blink-and-you'll-miss, hints, it's a little eerie and implies that something much different is happening. It's mostly the same besides a slight teaser of a popular character at the end but it serves as a nice introduction as things are going to get a lot different very soon. I just love the attention to detail in this, it seemed like every single scene and panning shot and action moment was animated the exact same way as in the anime. It even does some small things that I really like, even down to the tiniest thing like having the same sound effects and with the Eva's still making SNES noises when they shout, it also has the same soundtrack but with everything just remixed and it sounds great, even the same voice cast return and it's great to hear them again! It even has the same interlude that was used during the anime when it was time to go to adverts. The only other thing I'd have liked to have seen return is the original opening and 'Fly Me to the Moon'.

The animation is indeed excellent and looks absolutely beautiful, even if at times it did just seem to show some new scenes where it felt like they were going, 'hey, look. We have a budget now!' which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I suppose. However, I will say that the animation on the Angel Ramiel was amazing and looked very creative and there is also a lot more blood added in these rebuilds. The characters are still great and even though everything had to be condensed down for a film, they still feel the same, even if we don't spend as much time on them as we once did, which will please fans who watched it for the action, but seeing Gendo in HD is absolutely glorious. I don't normally watch the dub but if Robin Williams had have been Gendo, that would have totally been something to watch, as well as that fake cast list that fake cast list that FUNimation released back in 2009, that'd have been interesting, Sean Penn as Pen Pen, I mean, wow. Also, I guess looking back on it and seeing that Robin Williams was such a big fan has a rather deep and sad meaning behind it.

Even with all the praise, like I said earlier about recommending the anime first, does that make it sound like this is inferior? Well, when it is put like that, yes, I guess so but judging the film as it is, it is perfectly fine. Another review called it, 'just another robot movie', and while I don't agree with that completely, it does highlight how different this is from the original 'Evangelion', as the anime was about a lot more than just robots fighting. But I am surprised by just how much I was satisfied with this, it felt streamlined, clearly, but streamlined for good reason and didn't just feel rushed as it very well could have been and it still contained all the iconic moments. The religious symbolism returns, despite the fact that it was apparently chosen because it 'looked interesting', but considering Anno is in charge, I still believe there is more to it and I have my own theories as to what they mean. My only real complaint is that Shinji's classmates feel a tad pointless, they're only in about three scenes and they see Shinji in the Eva very quickly and go from not liking to liking him too quickly and it didn't feel natural. Given how much else that was taken out, I think that could have gone as well, but they do appear more in the sequel, so all is good and even if there was no anime and this was just its own thing, I think I'd mention it anyway. Maybe they could have had that scene where they watch Shinji in the Eva in the next film but that would have messed up the pacing too much. It's funny; no one in their class ever seems to ask Rei why she always has a broken arm or an eyepatch or something. Of course some of the character development, namely Shinji, felt shortened from the anime but of course it would, this is a film, not a series that can go at its own pace and compromises have to be made. It isn't even bad; it's just something you notice if you're a fan. It's ironic, for a character so innovative at the time; some might just think he's a generic angsty teenager here. Given where Shinji ends up I think they could have given him just a little more confidence here, though. It also makes me laugh how NERV seem to have a never ending supply of money but given what they have to deal with I'm sure they have a blank check. The Doritos in Misato's room made me laugh as well.

It took a long time to finally get made and it's the production company's first film and while opinions are divided down the middle to where some might argue their first film wasn't that great, I'm still pleased with what I saw, I enjoyed it. It was streamlined without, then in turn, making it feel rushed and it still has that spark about it that makes it feel like 'Evangelion'. And even if I didn't like this, I'm going to judge it on its own merits as opposed to comparing it by saying, 'oh it didn't do x', 'it should have been more like y', because I have the original anime to go back to. It's like anything, if you watch these first your opinion will be coloured one way and if you watch the anime first your opinion will be coloured another way, that's just how it goes. Although, like most films based on a series, I don't really know why you'd want to watch this if you haven't seen the anime. If I may compare for just a moment, this does feel very clean, unlike the anime where you'd feel something after every episode, this lost some of that but it makes sense and it isn't a complaint, I'm just mentioning it. Co-director Kazuya Tsurumaki only agreed to help if film 3 was about 'the third Rei clone' and look how that turned out. Some could argue that this film was pointless but I do like trilogies that tell one big story as opposed to just being films that just have an increasing number on the end of the title, it's a risky thing to do but when you have an entire framework to work from, it's easier to achieve in film form, looking forward to the next.
½ March 29, 2015
At a modest running time of 98 minutes you're left with too many characters, an incomprehensible plot and too little insight on either. Recommended only to fans of the original TV series.
March 24, 2015
Okay on its own. Leaves out most of what made Evangelion's first few eps awesome.
January 13, 2015
I have to have this movie
January 5, 2015
Finally got around to watching a friend's copies of the re-worked series, now in film form, and I have to say that I still enjoyed it immensely, even if we've seen it all done over at least a couple times now.

Recommended.
½ November 8, 2014
This masterpiece could make a fine live-action film. It's just brilliant! Five stars
½ October 13, 2014
Due to it's nature, it benefits from a quicker, more satisfying pace than its anime series counterpart, including just the best and most necessary elements of the respective episodes it covers and some incredible animation that makes this both eye-candy and the beginning of an emotionally hard-hitting journey.
July 30, 2014
Disclaimer: I haven't been a fan of the original anime series, I thought all the characters were deeply flawed and unlikeable. Many say that's point of the show. In any case! Here is all of the content of the first few Angels in the animated series, cutting down almost entirely on the tedious BS! I enjoyed the pacing and production value of this immensely. Makes me want to give the other film re-caps a shot.
½ July 13, 2014
felt a little dragged on and dont as excitiment as i would have liked but what you do get makes you infused to finish to the end and ask for more.
July 7, 2014
Evangelion has never looked better and it successfully condenses part of the original TV series for those new to the franchise.
June 21, 2014
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0 is a reboot of the critically acclaimed anime tv series, Neon Genesis Evangelion. Even though the story in the original got a bit confusing at the end of the series, it's still a landmark in Japanese animation. Now that a reboot to the series is made into a movie, will this be similar to the original or is it a waste of time. Let's find out?

The Story in 1.0 is basically the first seven episodes of the series. Shot in every angle shots with the same exact lines, you might think it's a waste of time if you already saw the series. Actually not really. The reason why the plot works on the material it's based on is because it only covers the first 7 episodes from the original. For example; the plot in The Last Airbender didn't work is because it was based on the first 20 episode of the tv series, making the movie plot stupid and confusing. The story is still the same from the original, but it still enjoyable for the newcomers of the series.

The animation is a major improvement from the TV series since the original went through some budget problems with the used of animation. The background is just beautiful to look at with exact details from the original. The angle shots feel exactly like the original, but the film managed to add more scenes to bring in new material to this reboot. Another major improvement is the used of CGI. The animators done a very good job on the CGI from the Evas and the Angels when they fight each other. The character designs are still the same, but in a good way. The animators make the character fell exactly on what they are from the original. The animation is worth watching in this film than the original.

The characters are obviously the same as the original, but still little material were added to these characters. Shinji is still his typical crybaby who doesn't want to pilot the Evas, but managed to get through those moments as fast as possible. Misato is a great support to Shinji like she was in the original. Rei, Commander Ikari and the other characters still play there roles as how they played in the original. The voice actor in the English version has also improve a lot from the original. Some voice actors had been switch, while others still improve their dub characters from the first 7 episodes. The characters have still been there counterpart selfs, but in a good way.

Evangelion 1.0 is definitely an improvement from the original with an unchangeable well told story, improvement animation and well acted characters from the original. This is a recommended anime film from those who just want to watch this without watching the original tv series, but those who have seen the series will still enjoy it while others believe it's a wasted of time. To me I enjoy it as what it is. Hopefully we will see more in 2.0 cause so far, this is one of the best animated film series based on a cartoon.
May 12, 2014
It certainly is beautifully animated, has an improved English dub, it's full of moody direction and mystery, but there's still one glaring issue: it was done exactly the same in the original anime series, and it does nothing to change anything about that... and carries all of the issues of the original and with no resolution of such (you know, outside of more fan service shots)