Evangerion shin gekij˘ban: Jo (Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone) (Neon Gensis: Evangelion 1.01 You Are (Not) Alone) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Evangerion shin gekij˘ban: Jo (Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone) (Neon Gensis: Evangelion 1.01 You Are (Not) Alone) Reviews

May 9, 2014
Pretty good but barley held my attention more then the regular episodes did when I watched them.
March 23, 2014
Just a cleaned up rehash. Very unimpressive. George Lucas would approve.
March 7, 2014
An excellently restored and enhanced version of the groundbreaking series. Even though it covers the plot of the first few episodes, it moves at a blistering pace and has adequate character development for three acts. Plus, the final act was my favorite angel battle from the series, so I was psyched to see it in HD.
½ March 3, 2014
Hideaki Anno brings us back to a new retelling of his famous Neon Genesis Evangelion series! Even though this first out of four films is a retelling of the first 6 television episodes, it brings new elements to the market, and is still enjoyable for any Evangelion fan!
January 29, 2014
I'm personally liking the movies, more than the Series.
January 28, 2014
This movie tells the story of the first 6 episodes of the hit series "Neon Genesis Evangelion", a show famous for its incredible mecha action sequences and deep psychological symbolism. This film is incredibly loyal to its source material and makes the intro to Evangelion look as beautiful as any fan could want. The old music tracks are redone with a modern twist, but keeping its same classic twist for any Eva fan.
January 26, 2014
Just as good as the series, but with much cooler CGI.
January 16, 2014
A remake that improves the animation and redoes the first six episodes of "Neon Genesis Evangelion". This is excellent science fiction, mixing an engaging plot and themes of fate and self doubt.

Earth is torn asunder by giant beings known as Angels. A scientist creates giant robot suits known as Evangelions, and child pilots must put the fate of the Earth on their shoulders as they battle these otherworldly foes.

The newest pilot is Shinji Ikari, son of the creator. He is depressed, has father issues, and is reeking of self doubt. He is brought to the last line of defense that Earth has, an underground bunker known as Tokyo-3. There he must overcome his own fears in order to save humanity.

This is science fiction at its best. The story is engaging, as the species the humans are at war with have little to no back story. They are mysterious, powerful, and have a knack for destruction.

On the other hand is the main character's journey. His depression is a little steep in this version, as he mopes around since only he knows what it is like to face down these foes. It begins to take a physical and mental toll on his fragile state, and we see him come to terms with that.

Only one of four planned movies, and the updated animation definitely improves the medium. I look forward to the others, as this is only 1/4 of the entire story.

Despite re-doing the first six episodes, there is faster progression of character development with less screen time. There is also more nuance in the characters, little nods that you have to pay attention to in order to notice. I really enjoyed the updated animation.
½ January 10, 2014
3.5/5 Definitely worth watching for the amazing spectacle that it is, but dramatically fails due to the inaction and whining of the main character.
January 6, 2014
It's a very well-animated retelling of the pre-Asuka episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion, cutting out all the many, many times that Shinji's run away from home and making the episodes fit into one cohesive movie. Taking the VAs from the TV show and "End of Evangelion" and applying them to read mostly improved lines, the English dub does an excellent job at showing the characters' struggles (and Shinji's screaming actually sounds pained and frightened this time rather than funny). Also, I love the slight relationship between Shinji and Rei that is further developed in the Rebuild series - what a good choice. And everybody knowing what Central Dogma houses - that's a breath of fresh air.

However, the product placement in this is near-distracting. Doritos and Pizza Hut - I see that capitalistic enterprises go on as planned after Second Impact. I just had to quote Aaron Fink's Doritos Locos taco review - especially that laugh at the beginning.
November 26, 2013
A gorgeous retelling of the first few episodes of NGE, this is supposedly a redux of the original series sans money problems and such, a lot of theory's have this pegged as a sequel, in either case, this is a great beginning chapter for Evangelion.
November 17, 2013
Really intense and intresting, weird somethimes, but really stunning and enjoyable.
November 3, 2013
A fantastic retelling of the first six episodes of the orignal series.
½ November 1, 2013
n this remake of the groundbreaking anime, evangelion has the best mecha fight scenes between the Evas and the Angels which are preety decent. Alot of great character development and lots of heart and soul put into the characters followed by the well voice acting cast. It's not just an epic giant robot movie, its also deep and touching adding some religious themes for effect. I give Evangelion:1.11 You Are (not) Alone a 9.8 out of 10
½ September 24, 2013
It is a gorgeous reimagining of the series and at this point is basically identical to the first six episodes but I prefer Shinji here as he is less whiny.
½ September 23, 2013
Shinji's still annoying as hell, and some of the CGI is pretty terrible and out of place (Angel 5 looks completely ridiculous). But the action is just as ludicrously over-the-top in the best way, so anything not involving angsty conversations is exciting to watch. I haven't seen the original series for almost a decade, so I'm not a super-fan offended at the desecration of his baby, but it is a shame they couldn't have just cleaned up the animation in the original and released it as a series. It's kinda clumsy releasing it like this.
½ September 2, 2013
Having never seen the original series i did not know what to expect at all from this movie. This story, the universe it is set in has so much potential at points i was gobsmacked at the whole machine city, bio-mechanical weaponry and all the ideas surrounding the film. However the most whiney protagonist in the universe accompanied by a thrown in the deep end introduction with not enough later explanation made this a bit of a let down. That being said it wasn't bad, it was in essence a good introduction to the story, but having yet to see the later films i'm a little underwhelmed. Hopefully the story will improve as the entire arc develops. That being said, the visuals were some of the best i have ever seen in anime.
June 29, 2013
REVISITADA: (preparando para ver Parte 3), Los angeles nunca lucieron tan bien! El soundtrack notablemente actualizado para el Rebuild.
June 26, 2013
My favourite anime of all time re-made the way it was supposed to be made. The Angels look unbelievable. Fans who have watched the original TV series will find the nuances in the voice acting to be different, but still good. Still an amazing series re-made. FYI, I prefer the English dub because that was how I originally watched the TV series on SBS 13 years ago.