Evelyn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Evelyn Reviews

March 18, 2015
AMAZING MOVIE. its on netflix thats where I found it at least. Made me cry.
March 12, 2015
Touching with some interesting characters and good actors playing them
½ August 31, 2014
A beautiful movie about a father's love and perseverence to reunite with his children after the desertion of their mother and the institutionalizing of his daughter and two sons.
July 16, 2014
I just love movies where one man stands against impossible odds.....it just proves that one man can make a difference in this world when everyone is against you.
It has been proven over and over...Martin Luther King....Mother Theresa...and so on......with God ,,and Jesus nothing is impossible. Even though sometimes his answer to our prayers is NO.....but as long as we have faith that He Loves us. Just as a parent sometimes has to say no for our better good. ...I know this is more of a sermon than a review....so as the Beatles said "Let it Be"
June 23, 2014
Michael Beattie (Stephen Rea): To fight church and state is to fight Goliath.
Desmond Doyle (Pierce Brosnan): Yeah, well, David beat Goliath in the book I read.

What a moving film about a dad who just wants to be reunited with his children, taken from him by system over some antiquated Irish law regarding the family unit. Pierce Brosnan (Desmond Doyle)was alright, Stphen Rea (Michael Beattie) was wonderful as usual but the highlight of this film was little Sophie Vavasseur who plays the title character Evelyn, Desmond's only daughter and eldest child of three siblings. She was superb, acted so naturally and beautifully that she was very credible and on top of it all she didn't need to act all cutesy to garner praise because she acted well beyond her years with such conviction, she truly sold it. The story was engaging and truly baffling in my American ways; I understand it is ideal to have a complete and traditional family unit: father, mother and children, but in the Doyle's case, it wasn't entirely their fault that they no longer had a mother and the father was willing to look after them. Why would should they be torn apart? Although, one would also argue that the system being the way it is, helped Desmond Doyle become a better father for his children. This was really a pretty good film to watch, not all heavy though; a good bit of lighthearted scenes to balance the serious parts. Well acted, well delivered. Overall, a pretty interesting film.
½ January 9, 2014
A pleasant film, well-worth watching. Margulies' Irish accent is phenomenal.
March 19, 2013
Man, this is great movie. Made me feel like crying. Okay, okay, I did cry a little bit. It's so hard not to.
March 12, 2013
Brosnan gives a good performance and the movie tugs at the heartstrings.
December 28, 2012
A heartwarming tale of a father's love and the fight for his children.
½ November 19, 2012
Magnificent film for many different reasons: 1) true story, 2) had impact on the change in law regarding custody of children, 3) Brosnan's acting is superior to anything else I have seen him do! 4) He fought to get this movie made and distributed. I'm not even sure it was released in the States. We saw it on DVD almost by accident.
November 4, 2012
Probably much poetic license and fictional adaptation. That said, interesting enough to make me check out some of the real facts on the 'net. Interesting piece of Irish social history I was not aware of, but one which didn't surprise.
August 26, 2012
touching and sad I was clunched to a tissue box halfway through this great film
August 18, 2012
More sentimental than most can bear but it does tell a powerful true story aswell as having a superb cast.
June 21, 2012
Far too simplified to be effective and far too manipulative to be affective.
June 3, 2012
The true history about the love of a father
May 17, 2012
A heartwarming story, although fairly cheesy at times. Quite a tearjerker, in the sense that it's every parents worst nightmare, if u lived in 1950's Ireland. Being based on a true story made it that much more compelling and the acting in general was decent. The weird parts with the sun rays were laughable though, I had to laugh and belt out a "come on!!"
April 13, 2012
An amazing piece of Irish history which exposes and deals with some of the problems and positives of the Catholic Church. As well as some deep sentiments about music and alcohol, abuse and the struggle to survive. Also has deep lies in family.
April 6, 2012
It is soooo good. I really enjoyed watching this movie
April 4, 2012
Evelyn is a touching drama that takes a stab at religion and state while not offending the faithful. I'm a sucker for Pierce Brosnan, underdog stories, heartwarming dramas, and Irish music. I loved this movie.