Even Cowgirls Get the Blues - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues Reviews

½ February 20, 2016
This movie exemplifies everything I hate about everything. It was created solely as a conduit of everything that makes me ill. er thumbs were gross. Probably the worst movie of all time. I only watched it cause it was the last River Phoenix movie for me to see. Phoenix's performance rivals Sophia Coppola's in Godfather 3 as worst ever. Only Uma was decent. Maybe Young.
½ May 22, 2015
This is an epic cinematic error. The frustrating thing is that this should have been a great movie. Instead it is painfully bad on all counts.
July 28, 2014
the first half was hilarious actually, got distracted eventually.
"the chink" was horrendously miscast.
July 23, 2014
That's so funny. This Is my all time favorite movie. I had no idea it got bad reviews. I think it's incredibly original, it's racey, it's sexy, errrrotic, political, liberal, thought provoking . The acting is great, kinda cheesy, but hilarious and perfect. Great cast, great soundtrack kd Lang. I don't find it boring at all. I have fantasies of being sissy hankshaw, what a life. I love love love this movie
January 1, 2014
YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! too good to be true, AN UMA THURMAN LESBIAN MOVIE! One that emphasizes her exotic looking hand shots(to freakish extremes!)
November 4, 2013
Aimless and pretentious, Gus Van Sant's "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues" is a pathetic adaptation of a rather mediocre book.
cosmo313
June 13, 2013
Deep down, I wanted to like this movie, and I wanted it to be good. I wanted to like it in general, but also because this film has an infamous reputation for being terrible. I thought that it couldn't be that bad, and that it had to have at least one redeeming value or two. Well, it turns out that both I and the reputation are correct.

This movie does suck..a lot. But it does have some interesting and quirky performances. However, all the absurdity in the world can't make up for the fact that this story and script are muddled, incoherent, and a rambling, random mess. I'm sure everyone had fun making this film, and I do appreciate nuttiness, but c'mon, what the hell even happens in this movie?

I like the idea of a nice hippie with freaky oversized thumbs hitchhiking her way across the country. The idea of a bunch of raunchy cowgirls on a ranch is cool too. None of this comes together and really gels though. I like the cast. They are a large and diverse group of interesting characters. However, not all of the performances are all that great, and many of the characters are just goofy, shallow caricatures with little to no development. That said, they all try to put out a bit of effort at the very least. I do like John Hurt, though. In fact, he may be the highlight. He's a scream to watch run around in drag being flamboyant. This is probably one of his more brave, interesting, and eyebrow raising roles.

I think a good way to describe this mostly, but not quite irredeemable failure is that it is kind of like a light and slightly sanitized version of a John Waters film...maybe. It's probably best as a campy cult classic midnight movie. I've never heard it get that status though. Everyone instead just seems to hate it. As camp, it is sometimes fun, but somehow this manages to be boring, even during some of the odder and more absurd moments.

So yeah, this isn't a complete waste, but it is close.
January 3, 2013
This movie is like a lump of clay, a shapeless mess, wanting to be created into something brilliant but never takes form. I wanted to like this movie considering that it's directed by Gus Van Sant who did Drugstore Cowboy and My Own Private Idaho, and an all-star cast. But, it's scattershot editing and the quirky characters and story fall flat. Uma Thurman plays Sissy, with enormous thumbs who life is to hitchhike across America, she arrives at the Rubber Rose Ranch, were the cowgirls are revolting and feeding the whooping cranes peyote, I felt that cast and crew took massive hits of peyote throughout, I liked the actors elsewhere but not here. This is a movie of missed opportunties
½ November 12, 2012
One of the only films I've ever seriously considered walking out in, the star-studded cast adapting one of the most beloved PNW writers in the hands of a surreally gifted director? It should have been a gimme shot. The upshot is that there was nothing redeeming about this film. I'm thankful that Gus was given another shot, but this was definitely my greatest crisis of faith in him and in good cinema from the Northwest.
½ July 3, 2012
There are times when one thinks that Uma/Sissy's big thumb leading her to a cowgirl ranch is a silly premise, but that really takes a backseat to the drama and overall appeal. By no means terrific, but not terrible either, it is literally a middle-of-the-road film and a superior lesbian counterpart to My Own Private Idaho.
May 20, 2012
Great Lesbian movie that is dedicated to the memory of River Phoenix!
May 13, 2012
I don't care what anyone thinks...I love Jellybean. I love this movie and this author.
½ February 13, 2012
So terribly horrible!
September 3, 2011
After Gus Van Sant found success with My Own Private Idaho (1991), New Line Cinema gave him freedom to do whatever he wanted for a follow-up. However, he went for a 1976 novel by Tom Robbins that had been branded as unfilmable. However, Van Sant wanted to prove everyone wrong. He had something to prove alright, but the film is a confusing, dull mess. Set in the 1970's, it has model Sissy Hankshaw (Uma Thurman), with a mutation that has given her gigantic thumbs. She uses the thumbs to hitch-hike across America. However, she gets a job through her friend friend The Countess (John Hurt, like Quentin Crisp crossed with Julian Clary), which takes her to a ranch out in California to film a commercial amid a load of mating whooping cranes. However, at the ranch, Sissy befriends Bonanza Jellybean (Rain Phoenix), who leads a rebellion against the the management, and take over the ranch, that's when the police come in, and Sissy has second thoughts about her giant thumbs. Alot of the film doesn't make sense, and it seems Van Sant bit off more than he could chew with this one, (it was delayed for a year after abysmal advance screenings, so it was re-edited to heck). Despite having a brilliant score by k.d. lang, the film is colourful but cold, and even it's cast including Pat Morita, Keanu Reeves, Grace Zabriskie, Roseanne Arnold, Heather Graham, Udo Kier, Ed Begley, Jr., Sean Young, Buck Henry, Carol Kane and Crispin Glover can't save it. Van Sant was cautious after this.
May 18, 2011
I only watched this because Crispin is in it, and he had an okay part, but I didn't care for this movie at all. It tries too hard to be quirky and cool that it just misses the mark. I couldn't stand this movie, and I don't recommend it.
February 9, 2011
maybe the book makes more sense. Uma does look cute in this!!!
February 7, 2011
Writer of Still Life with a Woodpecker, tom Robbins imagination is not only funny but brillant. Four thumbs up for Even cowgirls get the Blues. I love IFC films. the more raw the better. Enjoy~
January 8, 2011
A boring, almost incoherent film that fails to latch onto anything memorable throughout its entire runtime. Despite the occasional inspired creative flair from Gus Van Sant, this is a chore to sit through.